It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• probs after having gall bladder out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #31
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile

Hi RubyBliss - hallelujah for WelChol! This may be another treatment of choice for those with bile salt diarrhea. It sounds very similar to Colestid which is also not absorbed into the bloodstream, but sits in the stomach and "soaks" up the bile ejected by the liver. I found out about bile salt diarrhea just by typing in the words on a Google search. I found the website: [url="http://www.gihealth.com"]www.gihealth.com[/url] very helpful too.

Good luck to you Ruby on your continued search for diarrhea control!

Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 04:19 PM   #32
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    My apologies...I said that the WelChol absorbed fat. I was incorrect. I meant to write it absorbs the bile released. I'm sorry for any confusion. But either way, it still works!

Ruby Bliss

Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #33
    pollux6174

pollux6174 HB User
    Katie G.,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 12 and have been treated with medications ever since. When I was 20, my intestine perforated twice within the span of one week.

Since the emergency surgeries and extended recovery time, my Crohn's has been manageable. In the course of the last nine years I've had several short hospital stays, but nothing major.

About two months ago my Gastro decided that the Crohn's had reached a point where proactive surgery was necessary. The preliminary testing revealed gall stones, so the surgeon advised that my gall bladder be removed during the course of the bowel ressection.

That surgery was three weeks ago. I have been home for two weeks and am scared to leave the house. I've been having diarrhea 12 - 15 times a day with no end in sight. I own one company and am the GM of another. I've been fearing that my professional life -- not to mention social -- may be over. My wife, god bless her heart, has been more than sympathetic, but it hurts my soul to think that she will have to live with me in this state. I'm not religious, but I've been praying to whatever powers that be for help -- volunteering to give up EVERYTHING I have for these symptoms to just stop.

This morning, in tears, I found this web site. Your postings and the postings of others match my symptoms EXACTLY -- it's scary how similar they are. And, as much as it pains me to think of others going through this or having had to go through this, I am relieved because I am for the first time hopeful that there is a treatment for my symptoms.

After reading these postings, I left a message with my Gastro's answering service and she called me back within five minutes. She promised to call in a prescription for Colestid to the local pharmacy immediately. Whether it works or not (and I have every reason to believe that it will, as she too said that it could very possible end or drastically reduce my symptoms) I am thankful beyond words for your postings.

I've never felt as much anxiety and depression as I have over the course of the last two weeks -- I was even put on Xanax to control the anxiety attacks >> all instigated by these symptoms and this feeling of helplessness.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

------------------
    -Matt

Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 PM   #34
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Matt,

You are very, very, very welcome! Like you - this board was a true lifesaver for me when I discovered it two years ago. If some wonderful soul here had not told me about Colestid after I tried everything else I could think of (increased fiber, calcium supplements, doses of Bentyl) I would still be the same diarrhea-prone suicidal mess I was a year and a half ago.

I only want to be able to help others like people on this site have helped me. We're all in this together and I pray for your healing from bile salt diarrhea. I really don't know anything about Crohn's disease, and hope that Colestid does help you with the diarrhea without interfering with your other digestive problem. Please be aware that one serious side effect of Colestid is constipation with bowel obstruction, and I would not want this to happen to you.

However, I've been on Colestid for the past year, and constipation has never been an issue for me.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #35
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    Matt...

My heart goes out to you for I feel your pain...we all do. We are in this together. Just when I was at my last straw and about to lose hope from dealing with these horrible horrible symptoms from having my gall bladder removed, I found this website...and I can't tell you how grateful I am because of it. Although this is only online, this is my support group. This is what I use to get through these difficult times. It is comforting to know I am not alone and that I need not go through this alone. It is comforting to know I can say what's on my mind on this site and there will always be a kind ear to listen.

I wish you the best of luck with the Colestid. I really hope it works for you. If that doesn't work, try the WelChol...it's been a LIFESAVER for me. (My doc only had samples of WelChol, no samples of Colestid, which is why I am on the WelChol.) But don't worry...there is hope!!! Just keep in mind you just had surgery a month or so ago! Your body is still adjusting to not having that small little organ anymore! Please don't lose hope...everything will be ok. We are here for you!

...RubyBliss

Old 08-19-2003, 10:24 PM   #36
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Arrow

I think Healthboards has helped us more than we could say. I have been here for almost 4 years. Posting my problems and writing messages to others. Sometimes I am brought to tears with the suffering.

I am still amazed the lives that are really toughed in a meaningful way around in areas of the States and the world that I didn't know were on the web!!! I am also sure there are some people that we never hear about.

God Bless---Harry

Old 08-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #37
    urgcareassistant

urgcareassistant HB User
    Question

Hi, I have many problems since my gallbladder was removed in May 2003. I am still having pain in the UR quad. My doctors have been running alot of tests to see why I have pain(sometimes I have to the hospital for pain mangerment-meds). I am loosing so much weight too--some because IBS-D but mainly because I can eat much at all. Since all of started have lost 40 lbs. We have tried many different meds to see what helps, when I see my GP I'm going to ask about Colestid. But I'm taking Hyoscyamine(3x's daily), Levsin(when needed up to 8 a day), Trimethobenzamide(for nausea), pain meds(if needed), Caltrate 600(read that helps with D), FiberCon(2 daily for fiber). I was taking more but I dont want to be on alot of meds--so we cut them off.
    So I really need help with the pain--I haven't been to work in 5 months because of all of this. Any ideas will be helpfull!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 AM   #38
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi there urgcareassistant, and welcome to the boards! I can't really provide any assistance with the residual pain you're suffering, so I hope your docs can find relief for you. However, as you've no doubt read my posts, you see I did have signficant problems with my IBS-D worsening considerably after GB surgery. I'm a firm believer in Colestid - it has been my lifesaver as far as controlling my diarrhea.

I also take fiber and calcium supplements. I would recommend to you to stop taking the Fibercon since this is a synthetic form of fiber and switch to a more "natural" (psyillium husk) fiber like Metamucil. I really like the Metamucil wafers - I think they taste good. I hate the powder stuff mixed with liquids, and didn't want to have to take like 10-15 capsules of the Metamucil pills every day, so 1-2 packages of wafers each day add 6-12 grams of much needed fiber. Just be sure to drink plenty of fluids with them. Also, try adding acidophilus capsules to your day too (they can be found at drugstores, health stores, Walmart, etc), because these add the friendly gut bacteria to your system that it needs to function properly. With all the weight you've lost, and the diarrhea, your intestinal flora is probably really out of whack.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,
    Katie G

Old 10-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #39
    helogirl

helogirl HB User
    Just found this forum, and I also had my gall bladder removed about 1 1/2 years ago. However, most times I am "fine", and don't experience the yellow loose bowels and the dull pain in my right side. There doesn't seem to be a "food trigger", but there is a stress trigger. When I find myself incredibly stressed (family/marital problems) it begins to happen. Has anyone else found this to be their problem? And if so, any suggestions?

~stac

Old 11-05-2003, 05:26 PM   #40
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    Hey all...

It's been awhile since I've posted. But I have to say that I've been taking WelChol daily and it's been a miracle!!! I'm literally jumping for joy over this medicine! I've had solid stools, been eating virtually anything without worry! I'm still a bit hesitant towards foods that made me sick in the past, but I slowly try them all...again. And I still panic a little when I hear a grumble/gurgle in my stomach.

Life has been good!!!

Thanks to all and take care!

...RubyBliss

Old 11-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #41
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi Ruby Bliss! I am SO happy for you and the success with WelChol! Hallelujah! Keep us posted!

Katie G

Old 07-30-2004, 06:36 AM   #42
    denbabes

denbabes HB User
    Re: probs after having gall bladder out

Hi Folks

Hope u all feeling well, i just got a question for you, have any of u felt so bad that u actually think about having a colostomy, life is so grim now. Let me know your thoughts.

denxxxxxxxx

Old 08-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #43
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile Re: probs after having gall bladder out

Quote:
    Originally Posted by denbabes
    Hi Folks

Hope u all feeling well, i just got a question for you, have any of u felt so bad that u actually think about having a colostomy, life is so grim now. Let me know your thoughts.

denxxxxxxxx

Hi denbabes - if you read any of my other posts about bile salt diarrhea, you'll know that I was at the point of contemplating suicide by the time I found hope on these boards - and I am truly serious about this. For 5 years (!!!!) I went with chronic severe diarrhea, and no one to tell me this could be a way of life after gall bladder surgery. Although I felt tons better after the GB was out, I sure did not want to have to live near a bathroom or avoid social situations out of embarrassment.

I was at the point of going to my doctor and asking him to justify disability so I could still financially help support my family. I was in tears all the time, wearing maxi pads every day (which did not always help control the leakage!), and was basically at the end of my rope. The Colestid gave me my life back. You may have to adjust dosages up or down depending on what may work for you. If bile acid sequestrants don't work for you, I'm not sure what to tell you to try.

I'll keep you in my thoughts/prayers.

Katie G

Old 08-02-2004, 10:16 AM   #44
    denbabes

denbabes HB User

Hi Katie

Thanks for your reply, yes it does seem pointless some times, i think the things most peeps forget (well it is for me) the mental affects it has had on me. Well i have become a hermit now so afraid of going out the front door in case i have an accident and the feeling all the time of my bowels wanting to explode, i think the feeling is the worst part of it, the accidents you can clean out etc, but you have not control over the feelings. I have been classed as disabled as i cannot get a job. Maybe i am not a strong person and wish i could be like others and just get on with it, umm sounds like i just feeling sorry for myself, maybe i am, but after 12 years like it, you get to a point where everything u and your family do is controlled by your bowels. So the thought of having the op does seem a better option knowing that you cant have any accidents and you dont have to find out if there is a toilet wherever you go. The thought of having a life again maybe a different type of one is better than nothing.

Thanks again for response
    Denxxxxxxxxxx

Old 08-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #45
    angie2911

angie2911 HB User

Same here BrendaB,after having gallbladder removed have had excess acid,indigestion and reflux.IBS too.But nothing compared to the agony i suffered with the gallbladder pain.Just wish my stomach was normal

Closed Thread