It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• probs after having gall bladder out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #46
    MrsRGB

MrsRGB HB User
    Re: probs after having gall bladder out

Hi. I have just found this health board. I'm scheduled for gallbladder removal surgery Wed 9-29. I've been having gallbladder symptoms for years w/o realizing it. Always thought it was gas or food poisoning or stress. 2 years ago I had an attack so bad with my husband's loving nagging I went to my family doctor (an internist). After xray, ultrasound, hida scan, ct scan, no stones were found and the gallbladder was considered to be functioning. Had an endoscopy (eroded esophagus w/Barrets) and colonoscopy (2 benign polyps removed). Now I have annual endoscopies and set up to have colonoscopies every 2 to 5 years. My Gastro Dr. sent me to a surgeon. We discussed gallbladder removal but did not get a definitive feeling that the removal was essential. The episodes had subsided and occurred occasionally. BTW, I've had a total hysterectomy (1997) and I have a genetic cholesterol problem. I have an issue with high triglycerides discovered in 1998. (triglycerides were as high as 835, with medication and diet at one point had the tri's down to 199, however with the last test in July, they are back up to 443). During the year of 1998 I changed my diet (somewhat similar to the Atkins diet but not exact, low fat, low sugar, low cholesterol, low carb) and lost 40 lbs (was 50 lbs overweight). So I was at a very ideal weight. Stayed at this weight for until the next severe gallbladder attack in Aug 2000. After going through the above tests, I was supposedly eating the way one should. However with all the nausea, I began eating triscuits, pretzles and toast. I have gradually added 30 lbs back over these past two years. Everytime I would attempt to stay on my diet (to help w/triglycerides) it seemed to make the gallbladder symptoms worse. What surprises me from reading all the previous discussions, is that I have been experiencing soooo many of the problems many have mentioned that occur AFTER surgery. I recently had another severe attack the weekend of Fathers day, which sent me back to the doctor. After this episode, I have had increased issues with the diarrhea and blow out diarrhea. I am bloated all the time and have nausea everyday. Daily I have pain in the right upper chest, sometimes dull and sometime sharp. Went through xray, ultrasound and hidascan.........no stones, hidascan normal. Gastro Dr. referred me again to the surgeon. This time we all were convinced the gallbladder should be removed. One of my concerns that I did express was if my issues are not gallbladder related, what could they be?? Lately, I have been feeling so unwell, I can't wait for the surgery. I'm glad to have found this site. At least now if I end up in diarrhea land, I'll have a clue how to resolve the issues. I'm also curious to learn if my high triglycerides could have any relativity to my gallbladder problems. Do we know how often people who have gallbladder surgery end up with the bile salt diarrhea? (PS I'm 52 and have a rather stressful management job). Has anyone ever experienced weight gain.......although I'm not hungry I'll eat crackers or pretzels in a vain attempt to ease nausea. Otherwise I'm eating my low carb, low fat, low sugar and low cholesterol diet. I'm still having 10 lb swings. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #47
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: probs after having gall bladder out

Hi there - your GB symptoms sound very much like mine did before it was removed. I have posted numerous times about bile salt diarrhea and am one of the supposedly 5-10% of patients who suffer this condition after GB removal. So in other words, 90+% usually have no ill effects from GB surgery.

I already had IBS-D prior to GB surgery - it just intensified after surgery for my gall bladder (1997) and then Nissan fundoplication in 2001. But now it's under great control with Colestid. I don't plan to ever stop taking it.

Good luck to you - my hida scans and ultrasounds were considered "normal" too - when the surgeon actually got inside me, he discovered my GB was inflamed and covered in scar tissue - he told my husband he didn't know how it was still functioning.

Keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 09-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #48
    fiveoffive
    (female)

fiveoffive HB User

Dear KatieG,
    You are an angel.

Last edited by notevenok; 03-31-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #49
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi ML - thanks for your kind words. These boards are wonderful - it's the only way I found out about bile salt diarrhea in the first place and could then discuss it with my doctor. Fortunately, he's caring enough to listen to me without letting his ego get in the way, and willing to try my suggestions. I was almost suicidal by the time I found this board and learned about Colestid (pill) and Questran (powder). I've been on it for about 2 years now and swear by it.

I can't remember who my angel was, but I'm eternally grateful for the poster who saved my life and helped me get my bowels under control with their wisdom. And you're right - Harry is another angel on these boards, and he has been extremely kind and supportive of me.

So if I can help others like I was helped, that's what matters. We're all in this together.

God Bless,
    Katie G

Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #50
    MrsRGB

MrsRGB HB User

Katie G. I have read many of your comments on this board. I've been reading anything to do with the Gallbladder surgery etc. I thank you so very much also. So many people, I'm sure trying to make me feel reassured, have made comments such as: Oh gallbladder removal is so routine, you've got nothing to worry about. You'll be up and around in 3 days. The surgery is so simple....etc. However, the anxiety of having to have surgery, is real. You and others on this board help with the handling of the anxiety. I remain very positive that all will go well. I look so forward to having this constant unwell condition to be gone. As the days get closer to surgery, if I did not know better, I'd think this gallbladder of mine knows it's about to be eliminated and is causing more fits as a result. Thanks for being there for me and others. You have obviously resolved your issues but still you check the messages on this board and provide support to so many. I'll be sure to post how well my surgery goes. (btw I'm thimbleina)

Old 09-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #51
    callmekat

callmekat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by denbabes
    anyone else having probs after having gall bladder out
    Hello,, my first time here,,, someone please reply to me and give me advice if you have this also,,,,Hello. Oh yes I am. I had mine taken out 2 months after my baby was born. about 2.5 months ago. I was having bad pains in my right side under breast and my back same area. It really hurt to breast feed. I didn't have any pain meds durning preg. just so I could breast feed right afterwards. But was put on pain meds while still in the hospital, my baby was falling asleep at my breast while feeding. Needless to say I wasn't able to breast feed after all. I had problems for years but didn't know my Gallbladder was so bad. Anyway,, back to answering the question, After I eat, (not ever meal though) I get really, really paid pain, (Sharp Pains) and If I waited to long I could easily have an accident right where I am, and it wouldn;t be a pretty sight, It comes out fast, and painful. some times I think I am finished, and I have to return right back to the toilet, some times this happens twice a day. I am also still having pains in under my breast and in my back, this has just started,,, So I went from sometimes not having a bm in over a week, to going sometimes 2-3 times a day. And I have gained weight also,,,, has anyone else,,,,

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2004 at 08:40 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #52
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi thimbleina. Thank you too for your kind words. I'm keeping you in my thoughts/prayers that surgery will be a breeze for you. I can honestly say, that even with bile salt diarrhea as my forever post-op problem, I would still have my GB out. I was so sick from the pain/nausea, diarrhea, etc. that I was begging the doctor to take it out.

The GB pain, nausea, discomfort was gone after surgery. I don't miss the GB a bit - I had already had IBS-D prior to surgery, and even though the bile salt diarrhea kicked in and made my IBS-D worse, with medication I'm fine now. Only occasional episodes of the big "D" which I can live with - better than multiple times a day having to run to the bathroom.

I hope that you are the 90+% that have no surgical or post-op problems, but I'm here for you if you need further advice.

When is your surgery scheduled for?

Katie G

Closed Thread