It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Anyone develop IBS after having your gallbladder removed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User
    Angry Anyone develop IBS after having your gallbladder removed?

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and ever since then I get diarehha really bad. Almost everytime I eat I get it. I wasn't like this till I had my gallbladder out. So I blame it on that. Heck I just might got IBS not really sure. I've never seen a dr about the problem caz I'm so embarrased. Not sure why..just am...so plz don't criticize me about it! Whatever it is has affected my life badly. I don't go alot of places caz I constantly have to go to the bathroom. If I get nervous I have to go. If I know I'm goin somewhere that don't have a bathroom I have to go...so I avoid places without bathrooms of course. When I travel I get hit by it. Even on special occassions I fear goin to them caz I know I'll have to go in the middle of it. It's like I can't go anywhere without having to go to the bathroom. And I totally dread having to go anywhere! And sometimes when I have to go I get horrible pains in my stomach that seem to last forever. It hits all thru out the day even if I don't eat. I have to get up like 3 hours early when I have something planned so I can try and get it all out of my system before I have to leave. And after I eat I know for sure that I'm not goin anywhere for at least 2 or 3 hours caz I'm surely goin to have to use the bathroom a couple times afterwards. I haven't ate out for years caz of the problem. When I use imodium it sometimes helps but not always and I won't live off them to help the problem. I notice when I do take alot of them to clog myself up I get really horrible pains the next day. Do you think its IBS or something else? PLZ help!!!

Last edited by beanie_1122; 01-13-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
    breninpain66
    (female)

breninpain66 HB User
    Re: Anyone develop IBS after having your gallbladder removed?

I know how you feel. I have the same problem. I did go see about it though. It scared me because my mom had colon cancer. I had the colonoscopy done and it was fine. The doctor told me it is normal after gallbladder removal. I even have weird colored movements. It is miserable I know. I have no cure or miracles either sorry.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
    Georgette
    (female)

Georgette HB User

Maybe you have something called bile salt diarrhea. I have heard about people developing this after having their gallbladder removed. I don't know much about it but you should be able to google it and find out some info.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
    Oldbones
    (female)

Oldbones HB User
    Arrow Re: Anyone develop IBS after having your gallbladder removed?

I had my gallbladder out in 1985 and I've had the same problem ever since. I don't think it affects everyone this way though. I have friends who have had gallbladder surgery and had no after effects. I've had several colonoscopies done and there's no problem that would cause diarrhea so I've been told it's IBS. My gastroenterologist told me to take Imodium about 30 minutes before eating (when dining out). It helps sometimes and sometimes it doesn't so I can't depend on that. I think it helps to take Imodium about three hours before eating but then again, it doesn't always work. It is so embarassing and you can't enjoy a dinner out with friends because you know what's going to happen. I've tried all the different meds that are suppose to help but they don't phase it at all. Two Imodium's help better than anything. There must be some medication that would stop this ordeal. It's torment.

To: breninpain66:

I know exactly what you mean about the color. I won't go any further with that discussion though but it sounds like we have the same problem.

Oldbones

Old 01-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Thanks Everyone for the replies...Its nice to know that I'm not crazy about this whole situation and that I'm not alone.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

About 5% of people that have their GB removed put out too much bile that is no longer controlled by their GB anymore.
    This results in diarrhea.
    Do a search on Google -- What is bile salt diarrhea? You'll have alot to read about.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
    NHow
    (female)

NHow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry
    About 5% of people that have their GB removed put out too much bile that is no longer controlled by their GB anymore.
    This results in diarrhea.
    Do a search on Google -- What is bile salt diarrhea? You'll have alot to read about.
    I had my GB removed a few years ago and suffered bile salt diarrhea ever since. Cholestid (pill form of Questran) helps a lot. It binds excess bile. I have had no adverse side effects (a little constipation until I got the proper dosage for me) and it does not go into the blood stream so it cannot interact with other meds. It may also lower cholesterol (also prescribed for this).

Closed Thread