It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Post Gallbladder Removal Aches and Pains?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #1
    J20

J20 HB User
    Post Gallbladder Removal Aches and Pains?

Hello All,

I had my gallbladder removed 14/1, and until last week, I felt great. It didn't feel like they had removed an organ from my body, and if I didn't have the four small incision scars and my 4 stones in a pot, I wouldn't know any different.

Then, about a week ago, I woke up with an ache under the incision in the top of my stomach. It lasted for only a few minutes, and then went away. This is the type of pain I had before my gallstone attacks began, in the same place. It was nowhere near as bad as it was before the attacks, and there was no claminess etc. Since then, my abdomen has just not felt right. No pain as such, just uncomfortable. I have also had various pains in different places, back and front.

Could this just be healing? I'm just annoyed, as I have been feeling so good!

Thanks

Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
    cheer up
    (female)

cheer up HB User
    Re: Post Gallbladder Removal Aches and Pains?

To answer your question about pains being due to healing, the answer is yes. You say surgery was 14/1. Do you mean Jan. 14 of 2005? If so, you are just one month from surgery. You should expect just about anything over the coming months. You will definitely be likely to feel incision healing type pains and phantom GB pains in the area where the GB was. I, too, after 8 months, still experience various sorts of pains and aches that I know are related to that surgery.

Be on the lookout, though, for bad pains lasting more than a few minutes. You could be manufacturing new stones or sludge that are building up in the ducts causing such pains. I am currently undergoing tests to see what caused a horrifying incident last week where I had terrible pains for 20 minutes from mid to right in upper abdomen, and boring straight through to the back. This was totally unrelated to eating as it occured at 6:45 a.m. when I first got out of bed.

My GB complaints were virtually never related to eating, although I did have real problems as time progressed with certain foods/drinks like anything too spicy or dairy products like ice cream.

Again, if you research on the internet you will find story after story of peoples' problems, some unimportant, others very serious, after gall bladder removal. I work with a young lady who had the surgery 8 YEARS ago and she said she has had more than a few episodes of pains bad enough to make her think she still HAS a gall bladder.

It's not a perfect surgery and when you mess with the abdominal organs in any way there are no guarantees of complete success. We DID need the surgery if we had stones/sludge and pain because we didn't want to risk severe pancreatitis or the gall bladder bursting or turning gangrenous, etc. But there is lots more than can go wrong after the fact.

Just make note of your symptoms and if any of them seem bad enough to report to the doctor, do so. He/she will take it from there.

Good luck to you --

Closed Thread