It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Can you gallbladder cause GERD symptoms- nausea and annoyed!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Mistina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Can you gallbladder cause GERD symptoms- nausea and annoyed!!

I had an upper GI that stated GERD. I have had nausea for a few month now and it's interfering with my life and I really want to get to the bottom of this. I also have the lump in my throat feeling. I will be having the gallbladder ultrasound this week and I'm wondering if a gallbladder problem cause GERD symptoms. I really can't stand the nausea part of this and I"m praying that it will go away. I usually wake up nausious and sometimes it lasts all day and makes me feel really really sick. I'm on protonix and have been for a week or so and I was on pepcid before with no help. Does anyone know how long it takes for the protonix to work for this type of thing. I'm so afraid I'll have to deal with nausea forever. I need to have a social life again!!!

Help!

Mistina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
ihategerd
(male)

ihategerd HB User
Re: Can you gallbladder cause GERD symptoms- nausea and annoyed!!

Funny you should post this question, as I was coming on here to ask the same thing.

Simply put, can gallbladder problems (the doctors have found no stones with the U/S, but are planning a HIDA scan for gallbladder function) cause GERD? I think it stands to reason that it could considering a gallbladder problem can lead to poor digestion and poor digestion can lead to GERD. Yet, I have found nothing that links the two in this way. Furthermore, I had no GERD symptoms until I had gallbladder systems - which for me is pain under and near my right ribs and, sometimes, a very dull ache around my right shoulder blade. I have never had a "true" attack with the terrible pain or trips to the ER. But my symptoms went from this almost daily discomfort to almost daily GERD. Diet changes and meds have helped, but I'm far from feeling good.

Any experiences or knowledge out there on this possible connection?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
marykay25
(female)

marykay25 HB User
Re: Can you gallbladder cause GERD symptoms- nausea and annoyed!!

I had symptoms of GERD before I had my gall bladder removed, and I still have some symptoms, but they are much more controllable since I had it removed. Here's what my doc says: since the GB serves as a reservior to store bile, if it isn't functioning properly or if you have it removed, the excess bile doesn't have anywhere to go, so it can enter the upper GI tract, causing reflux. I never had a true GB attack, and it took several tests before they figured out that my GB was not functioning. Mistina, if your ultrasound does not show anything, the next step should be the HIDA scan, which tests GB function.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread