It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Pro's & Con's of Gallbladder Surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User
    Pro's & Con's of Gallbladder Surgery?

I have to make a decision within the next week or two whether to go ahead, or not, with gallbladder surgery. I am looking for others experiences...of the good & bad of doing this. And please be brutally honest whether you feel it was worth it or not...are the after effects of living without a gallbladder, worth the pain relief of the attacks?

My husband would like me to try just a gallbladder cleanse at this point, but I'm at the point I not at all sure what to do...as I'm tried of hurting all the time.

I have all the symptoms, but all tests have come back normal. They only saw a 4mm polyp in my gallbladder, no stones....

Thanks to everyone for the previous replies... This is the best board I'v come across.

Thanks VERY much in advance,
    Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
    anon2239
    (female)

anon2239 HB User
    Re: Pro's & Con's of Gallbladder Surgery?

Hate to say this but if I had the opportunity to go back in time to last July I would have tried the cleanser. I had all kinds of problems and am still having problems. But no one can really decide but you. Best wishes!

Sandra

Old 03-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
    mom9302
    (female)

mom9302 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago at the age of 24 because I HAD to it had ruptured. I had no complications and was up and walking the next day. I had an 11 day hospital stay though because I had peritinitous(sp) which is an infection of the blood from the rupture. It is surgery but I would do it all over again. I had no after pain and the next day I felt tired but I would of went home if it wasn't for the infection. Good Luck and make sure you have a doctor YOU feel comfortable with this will make it easier.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Blue streak Im going though the same thing right now. You can read my story under the thread of right sided pain people and all the tests I had. I was finally told the gallbladder needs to come out. My ultrasound was ok of the gallbladder but the hida scan showed it only functioning at 17%. But I have polycystic liver and kidney disease so I worry that its the liver causing the pain and I have the gallbladder out for no reason. I also thought of doing the cleanse,, Im alittle worried incase it makes the pain worse. But if I knew it took care of the problem without surgery I would do it..Have you had the hida scan done? But like you Im proberly going to have the surgery and hope to end the pain.

Mom can you tell us your symptoms of your gallbladder rupture and what your were going though before that? Thats one of things I've thought about in putting off this surgery. Glad to hear your doing good now..

Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

Hi spongebobgamma,
    Sorry to hear of your pain, it's sure no fun. I worry about my liver as well...& just had a scare with my right kidney--they found two cysts a month ago on a cat-scan. One looked bad, but second CT a week ago showed it to also be a simple cyst. My Hida came back at 67%... Been having some severe pain on my left side below rib...shoots straight through to my back. So am worried it's something more then just my gallbladder. Have you had any weird referred pain like this? I have chest & back pain as well...feel like a total mess...

Take care & feel better soon,
    Heather

Old 03-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

Hi Heather,
    I just reread your post, missed the part about the gallbladder polyp. I've read that sometimes when they do the surgery what they thought was a polyp turns out to be a stone. Sometimes, though rare, these polyps can turn out to be serious. Do a search on it and see what you find. Also talk to your Dr about it.

Its common to have a simple cyst on the kidney or even liver. Have the Dr monitor you once a year. When I was first dx I was told I had a kidney tumor and my liver was full of cysts. Talk about scary! Drs did a ct scan and found that it wasnt a tumor but multiple cysts on kidneys. The kidney cysts are small right now and function is good. But my right kidney is enlarged enough that I can feel it. The liver has the large cysts, so that is why I worry that it can get confused with the gallbladder. I have a family history of Polycystic disease so know what to expect and how to take care of myself.Had my last ct couple weeks ago, I hate those things and hope they can just monitor me with ultrasound from now on.

About 10 years ago I developed the left sided pain. That was way before I've had these problems. The pain is just like you describe, under the left rib going to my back. I had nonstop diarrhea and lost a ton of weight. I was dx with crohns.. but the Drs have gone back and forth on that though the years. I have not had a flair for more than a year and the left sided pain is much better.The recent colonscopy showed I wasnt in a flair but the biospy came back positive for IBD.. crohns/colitis. Not saying this is your dx, but sometimes its more than one problem causing our pain. And yes it could be referred pain as well. Would be a good thing to talk to your Dr about.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
    LesleyAnne
    (female)

LesleyAnne HB User
    Wink Re: Pro's & Con's of Gallbladder Surgery?

Hi!

I will give you a list of pros and cons for me since I have had my gallbladder removed almost ten weeks ago... (By the way it was removed because it was non-functioning....My HIDA Scan showed 8% function)

Pros:
    -No more pain where my gallbladder was!!
    -No more intense nausea or feeling ill
    -No more gallbladder attacks with fatty foods

Cons:
    -Developed both acid reflux/bile reflux (symptoms: mild, intermittment nausea (nothing like before), burping, acid taste in mouth of and on, stomach burning)
    -IBS has worsened.....I am constipated more and have diarrhea more(at least once a week)

These symptoms seem to be improving with time and I hope to one day never have to deal with them....but, you need to understand it takes a while for your body to adjust to not having a gallbladder and some people won't feel normal again for quite a while.

If I could turn back the clock would I have had my gallbladder out? YES YES YES!!! Those gallbladder attacks were almost intolerable, as I ended up in the ER three times!!!! Now I am feeling much better and what I am dealing with is more than anything a minor annoyance!!

Take care and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

Thanks for your reply LesleyAnne,
    Your post was very helpful in what to expect with the surgery. It's not an instant cure, but in time it should get better...

Heather

Old 03-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

Thanks spongebobgamma for your posts...

The Dr's think the polyp may be causing my pain as it's close to the neck of the GB. So it's possibly restricting the bile flow when it contracts...when I make the mistake of eating greasy or oily foods...

The kidney cysts scared me only because they told me they thought it was a protein or blood filled cyst, which they said would be bad. Grateful it was just a simple cyst.

I do have IBS, so this does cause me some problems. I've not been the same since I got salmonella poisoning on vacation almost 3 years ago. That to may have contributed to my GB problems...

Hope they get things figured out for you soon...

Heather

Last edited by Blue_Streak; 03-17-2005 at 08:15 AM.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I also have GB polyps and an inflammed wall(no stones) and have to have it removed on March 22. I had a bad case of the flu when I was pregnant with my son (now almost 8 months old) and haven't been the same since. Have had nausea ever since. I'm a little worried about getting it out though as I am afraid that I will still suffer all the symptoms I have now and more after. I have read all the horror stories of Diahrrea, pains, etc. after the GB is out and that makes me nervous. I guess the only way to find out if it will help my symptoms is to have it removed
    I wish you luck on whatever you decide!

-Donna

Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

Hi diamond79 ,
    I just started having more problems with the nauseation recently. The first month of problems I just had the pain & spasms... but last month I got sick with a couple attacks & then last night... The last 4 days I've woke up nauseated, which is not normal for me. Today I've been nauseated all day...nothing helps the feeling...guess the GB is getting worse or something.

Hope all goes well next week with surgery. Mine am sure won't be too far behind...

Heather

Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

Well it's official...my gallbladder is coming out... Surgery is next Wednesday April 6...

Heather

Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

Heather,

Im glad that things are moving fast for you. It wont be long and you will be feeling better. Im sure you must be nervous now that you have a date. When my sister had her gallbladder surgery she was in and out the same day and healed really fast. Its so much better now with the laposcope.

Im in HMO land here. Have to wait until the 14th to even see my Dr to get a referral to the surgeon.

Good luck Heather and keep us posted.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
    Blue_Streak
    (female)

Blue_Streak HB User

spongebobgamma,
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm not too nervous yet. I know I will be a day or two before though.

I hope you ncan get things worked out soon. It's so hard to hurry up & wait...

Hang in there,
    Heather

Closed Thread