It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Just got my gallbladder removed...HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
    Just got my gallbladder removed...HELP!

This came out of nowhere. I had laproschopsy yesterday morning. My white blood cell count was high and it wasn't emptying properly. I had no stones. I took my first shower this morning on my own. I removed the bandaids and didn't touch stitches and thin gaze over stitches after that shower for the top three. I left the one near my belly button alone because it has big piece of white gaze and rectangle size tape over it (plus it hurts the most). I pat washed, rinsed, and dried the other three and put new bandaids on. The four edges of my fartherest right bandaid (not near insecion) has small clear bubbles. I accidentally popped one and it hurt. The incesion that i didn't touch near my belly button gives me the most grief when walking some and especially when laying down or getting up. I haven't had a bowel movement since surgery. I am taking Hydrocodone instead Vicoden every 4-6 hrs. I got up twice during the night and walked for like 10 minutes. I have walking or sat in a chair a total of 5 hrs today so far. I have an appointment to see my surgeon Friday.

I need some help. What foods should I eat right now? Should I be concerned that I have not had a bowel movement? When and should I change the bandage near my belly button? What are the clear bubbles I mentioned above? I am a 23 yr old teacher, when do you think I could handle going back to work? Any certain way I can sleep at night to prevent soreness when I get up? And any other advice?

I have never been in a hospital for me in my own life except birth. This has been a scary, hectic, and painful past 4 days. I appreciate any feedback I get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: Just got my gallbladder removed...HELP!

No special diet is required after a laparoscopy. It's also not unusual for you to have not had a bowel movement yet but, you should try to increase your dietary fiber (oatmeal, vegetables, fruits, etc) or take a something that will help you become regular again such as Citrrucil or Metamucil or something of that nature.

You can resume your normal activities after a week (or as tolerated). As long as you are feeling well, you can go back to work in a week also. Your doctor will probably tell you all of this on Friday.

Use a small pillow by holding it against your incision as you sit or get up from a chair and in and out of your bed - this really helps.

As for the small bubbles.... If the incision itself is blistering, you are probably having a reaction to the bandaid or there is too much moisture on your wound. Remove the band aid, make sure the area is dry, then just place some gauze over the incision using a paper tape to hold it in place. Concerning the incision over your belly button, change the bandage if it is wet.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

thanks Smith. gosh i want to lay down cause medicine makes me sleepy, but i am afraid to not move around some because i don't want to get sorer or slower my recovery

Old 05-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Am surprised this wasn't covered in the post-op instructions. I removed my steri strips the 2nd day after the surgery. Went to work the third day, ran two miles the 7th day. Don't eat anything greasy, spicey or fatty for at least one week and personally I would say 3 weeks. THen start introducing fatty things back into your diet on a slow basis...just a touch of butter here, a small piece of cheese there, etc. I could just about anything I wanted after about 5 - 6 weeks. But I was very conservative about what I ate. And you'll probably have that sore spot near the belly button for some time...there's usually some bruising inside there and that takes time to heal. As for getting around, I found that if I crawled into bed by putting my knee up on it first that it was a lot better...and slept on my side with my legs pulled up and got out the same way...and then SLOWLY straightened up! Oh, and you may have to try different bras for a while because of the top incision. I was in a jog bra or a cami for about 8-10 days...just had mine out in Feb so memories are still vivid. Good luck and just remember to take it slow but steady...and I was off the pain meds by the 4th day....can't drive on them anyway and i wasn't sitting on my butt at home!

Old 05-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

Resting won't delay your recovery at all. The body does the majority of its healing while we are asleep! Also, sleeping refreshes every part of your entire system. Your body has been through a great deal of trauma these past few days - you need the rest! How much varies from person to person so just listen to what your own is telling you to do.

I was reading here what Titchou wrote... I'm impressed with the 2 mile run since I can't do that on any given day!

Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

Titch, I was half drugged up when I left. The release sheet just says... pat wash and rinsen and dry. it didn't say anything about removing the steri over stitches.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #7
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

oh and i am not sitting on my butt. i just said i only laid down like 3 or 4 hrs total durin my waking hours today.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

smith, i have been wondering how much rest i should get during the day. this whole thing confuses me. i know i need rest to heal. but i know i need movement to keep stuff moving. wish i wasn't so drugged up when i left and i could have asked these questions. glad i am going to surgeon friday.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Just try to relax. Go ahead and rest all you want. If you are worried about moving around enough, set a timer for every 3-4 hours during the day and take a walk around the block. The day of my surgery I got home at 5 and I think I went on maybe one or two short walks that evening. The next day I was actually not tired at all and completely overdid things... I went shopping (drove the little cart around, though, because it hurt to walk much) and stayed up all day and talked to people. The second day after surgery I slept until 10, then had some breakfast and slept until 3. Sleep and rest are very good for recovery. Definitely sleep all you want. But walking is also a good thing. Just go for a few short walks each day, however long you can tolerate.

As for the bowel movements... I don't think I had one until maybe the second day after surgery. Definitely avoid eating fatty foods at first, as they can cause diarrhea while your body is adjusting to life without a gallbladder.

The pain for me was worst the first few days after surgery (the day of surgery I was still too drugged to feel too much pain). You're going to feel like you've been stabbed, run over by a truck, and/or severely beaten around the midsection. It will slowly get better. I found that some ice helped with the pain from my incisions. You can use an ice pack (or frozen peas or corn work well) wrapped in a thin towel and place it over the incisions for up to 15-20 minutes at a time. That really helped me with the pain.

I'm not sure what type of "dressing" you have on your incisions. Some people get steri-strips. It sounds from your description like you've got what I had, which was this clear junk (like superglue) painted over the incisions. If your skin itself is bubbling under that, it could be an allergic reaction and you want to call your surgeon right away. If it was just a bubble in the painted stuff, it probably hurt when you popped it just because you were messing around near the incision? Just be sure to keep them dry except when you're showering, so if the gauze over the bellybutton gets wet, go ahead and take it off or replace it.

Go ahead and take the next few days to baby yourself, lay around on the couch, and whine and complain. You'll feel better in a week, and pretty good in two weeks, and back to normal in 3-4. Let us know if you have any other questions. Feel better soon!

Old 05-08-2005, 05:41 AM   #10
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

Just do what you can, as you can without pushing yourself. There is no set amount of time that you should rest..... when you feel sore, rest, or when you feel tired, rest - just listen to what your body is telling you to do. Leave the steri-strips alone. Go ahead and take your showers and if they fall off, don't worry about it. The doctor will remove the remaining ones on Friday. They help keep your incision closed.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:25 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The best thing i have used for the post op constipation is Sennekot?I still have to use it now after almost a year and a half since my surgery as I suffered some significant nerve damage and also damaged my sympathetic nervous system,which controls the peristalsis(muscle movement)of the bowels.I also am on constant narcotic therepy due to two rather excruciating pain syndromes so i am kinda getting a double whammy here.The sennekot really helps alot.without it,things can get wayyy backed up.i just take two every morning with my usual morning meds and it really does make a difference.i would suggest that you at least give it a try and see if it works as well for you.having any type of surgery in itself can really mess with all of your normal workings of your body systems.this will right itself with time.oh, and by the way, hydrocodone is the same thing as vicodin.Just do what you have been doing but don't push yourself too much.i would also leave the steri strips alone until they start to peel off by themselves.That is the usual rule of thumb when you have steri strips after surgery.Even though you have some stitches and it sounds like some Dermabond(skin superglue?)The steri strips help hold the skin in place and reduce the chances of seperation of the skin margins that are trying to heal.I would just leave them be until they start to lift,then pull each end from the outside in,not grab one side and yank.Do you know what i mean?Just pull up one side a little,then go to the other and lift a little until you can grab both ends together and kinda pull straight up.This reduces the chances of pulling open the incision.While you are lying around, try and think of any questions that you want to ask the surgeon when you see him at your Fri appt,and write them down as you think of them or you may forget(been there, done that).and make sure you don't forget to bring the question sheet with you when you leave(done that too,lol)just take your time and let the natural course of healing take place and you will be fine.good luck,marcia

Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #12
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

Do yall think that my gallbladder issue was the cause of me gaining 50 lbs to quickly in the past couple of years????

Old 05-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #13
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago. I was inthe hospital for about 4 days before the surgery because my liver enzymes were so high. I had the surgery on the fifth day. I was totally out of it, and I just remember that I did get out of bed about two hours after I woke up. I had to go to the bathroom, so the nurse helped me stand up and walk. I sat there for a while and then he helped me back into bed. I went home the next morning. I rested for about a week. I did get up to walk around the house and go to the bathroom and such. I couldn't stand up totally straight though for about two weeks. My gallbladder was so enlarged that it was stuck to my small intestine. My surgeon was very close to converting to an open procedure. He had to really make a large incision in my bellybutton to get it out. I had staples and stitches. Staples in the belly button and the two on top, and stitches in the one on my side because he said it wouldn't stop bleeding with staples and he had to cauterize it. My belly button incision was very large and I had to wash it with peroxide every day and keep a band-aid across it for the first few weeks after the stitches were removed. But everything is fine now.

The only real problem that I have is that after the surgery I couldn't eat anything without getting explosive diahrrea because of all the excess bile in my system. (sorry for being gross!). It is something that will never go away and I will need to take pills every day for the rest of my life. I take Colestid, which absorbs the excess bile and allows me to eat properly without getting sick. But other than that, getting my gallbladder removed was the best thing I ever could have done. (I really didn't have a choice though! I was admitted through the emergency room with a severe attack, and they didn't let me go home until after the surgery! They also didn't let me eat for the whole five days that I was hospitalized.)

Oh, I am a teacher too. I was actually doing my student teaching during this time. I got sick at work and sat on the floor crying in agony until my parents came for me and called my surgeon who told me to get my butt over to the hospital! I went back to work about three weeks after the surgery, but it only took me that long because my belly button was still not healed enough and had to be cleaned several times a day. They let me make up the extra days, and I wound up finishing about 3 weeks after everyone else did. But it was nice, because I got to be there to see my kids graduate and help out with rehersals. The weird thing was that when I came back to work, my cooperating teacher told me that she just found out that she needed to get her gallbladder taken out too! So I was really able to help her and advise her.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #14
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teacher_Lady
    Do yall think that my gallbladder issue was the cause of me gaining 50 lbs to quickly in the past couple of years????
    No. I am sorry to have to tell you this, because I didn't like it when my doctor told me the same thing. Your gaining 50 pounds was the cause of your gallbladder problems. Eating a lot of fatty foods (or just eating a lot!) can cause stones. Fat is the number one killer of gallbladders!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #15
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teacher_Lady
    No. Purple2067 is right, it's the other way around.

Last edited by smithn; 05-09-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread