It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• duodenal ulcer or gallbladder symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
    MLZ
    (female)

MLZ HB User
    duodenal ulcer or gallbladder symptoms

Hi, I have had pain in my upper kinda in the middle but off to the right side under my ribcage for a couple months now. My doc thinks its an ulcer in my upper intestine, but he said it could also be gallstones. I am very worried about it being a cancer either liver/gallbladder/pancreas or stomach. I am a 25 year old female who is 5'5" 113lbs, never been overweight in my life. It's often accompanied by nausea, and loss of appetite, and the pain also often radiates to my back. The pain often wakes me up at night, with the lack of food and sleep i feel very fatigued and weak. Getting an ultrasound on the 19th to check for gallstones, but was wondering if anyone has had a duodenal ulcers with these symptoms? where exactly was your pain? thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: duodenal ulcer or gallbladder symptoms

If your gallbladder looks normal on the ultrasound, there are more tests that they can do. They can do an endoscopy (they stick a camera down your throat while you are knocked out) to look at the lining of the stomach and first part of the small intestine and see if there is an ulcer there. If they don't find anything there, and think that it may still be your gallbladder, they can do a HIDA scan, where they use a radioactive tracer to visualize the gallbladder and how it functions. They can also do blood tests to look at pancreas and liver function to rule out inflammation in those two areas....

It sounds very much like how I felt with my gallbladder. It was full of stones. I am only 24 and didn't really have many of the risk factors. One risk factor for gallstones that you might not be aware of is birth control pills...

Anyway, I don't know what the treatment for ulcers is, but the gallbladder, although they do have to do surgery, really isn't bad. You go home the same day, and even though you will have surgical pain, the other pain you have been having will be gone. So try not to worry too much about it.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User
    Re: duodenal ulcer or gallbladder symptoms

It definately could be either. I am 26, female, 5'5" and 109 lbs(was about 138 lbs before all this started). I had my GB out due to polyps and inflammation and pain under the right rib cage, nausea, gas, etc. The pain wasn't at the top of the rib cage but more at the bottom and just underneath and it radiated to my back between my shoulder blades. I am now having pain in between the 2 rib cages which my dr. thinks could be a duodenal ulcer. The nausea, gas and bloating are still with me--which I was told would be gone once the GB was removed.
    I am taking 40 mg of Pantoloc and was told to take Sucralfate to coat the ulcer but that stuff gives me horrible nausea(worse then before) and cramps.

Closed Thread