It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Gall bladder location?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
robcaryh

robcaryh HB User
Gall bladder location?

I have been researching my pain in my abdomen which i am hoping is just my gallbladder and cannot find a good anatomical picture of it. Is any part of it next to the skin? Or is it completely buried under the liver? Where I have my pain at I have a feeling of pressure or something inflammed under my skin at about the nipple line,just below the last rib there. Some of the pictures I have seen it looks like the head of it is exposed through the liver,some it looks to be buried completely underneath. If it is buried,I am scared to death that this may be my liver I am feeling. I am scheduled for an ultrasound next week but I am really worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Gall bladder location?

Try not to worry. The exact location of your pain and the exact location of the gallbladder don't really matter. The problem is that internal organs are not like the skin. On the skin, if you have an injury, your brain can tell exactly where it is. However, the nerves that come from the organs are different. They can't actually locate the pain very accurately. So you end up with pain "somewhere around here" and can't reliably pinpoint the exact organ it is coming from. The brain can even get confused between the signals from the organ nerves and signals from the skin and muscle, so it will think that an area of skin or muscle is hurt, when really it's an organ. This is why people with gallbladder problems sometimes have pain in the right shoulder.

By the way, if you think of your liver as a brick, then the gallbladder is on the underside of it. How far toward the front of the body it is depends on the individual.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
diamond79
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I agree with Kehorner. The pain from GB can be felt just about anywhere. I felt it right below my rib cage, underneath and even between my shoulderblades. My mom felt her pain in her right shoulder and close to her belly-button. Some people call this "referred" pain.

Just go for your ultrasound and don't worry! It could be something as simple as a pulled muscle or a muscle spasm.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
robcaryh

robcaryh HB User

Does it feel like something is directly under the skin? Not pain from deep within? Mine feels almost as if it is directly under the skin.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
diamond79
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Mine felt deeper then just below the skin. Felt like dull aching at times and stabbing type at others.

Closed Thread