It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder surgery and your weight...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
    kops2da
    Inactive
    (female)

kops2da HB User
    Gallbladder surgery and your weight...

Someone made the comment that their could be complications if someone had their gallbladder out and was overweight/obese. In all my research and talking with overweight friends - no one was ever told this was true. Only possible problem would be amount of anesthesia used - but no other complications because of weight! Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
    Elliesmom
    (female)

Elliesmom HB User
    Re: Gallbladder surgery and your weight...

All I heard is that being overweight/obese increases the chances that you will need an open surgery instead of a Lap., which increases the pain and time in hospital. I only know one person who had an open and they were obese. I know a couple of obese people that did fine with the Lap. though. I don't now if one is considered more "risky" than the other.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder surgery and your weight...

When I had mine out in February, the surgeon commented that he would probably only have to do 3 small incisions as I am thin. I commented on that and he said that quite often with heavier people it takes 4 or they have to do the full open incision just because it is difficult to get to the gallbladder and scoop out the stones. I had also heard this from other people but this is the only confirmation I've had.

Closed Thread