It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Problems after Gallbladder surgery????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
    LiLKaYlaBaBii
    (female)

LiLKaYlaBaBii HB User
    Re: Problems after Gallbladder surgery????

Hey. I had my gallbladder removed last month too. While I was in the hospital, I experienced the gas pain's SO bad that they asked me how bad my pain's were I would tell them 11! Pain medication's didn't help so all I did was sleep. As soon as I came home, I kept myself active although I was supposed to rest ALOT and that helped relieved the gas pain's. It took about 5 day's for it to be gone. I experienced diahreah with EVERYTHING running right through me, now only fried and really fatty food's do that to me...I thought I had a problem going on there for a while. You'll be fine hun. My aunt experienced diahreah for a whole year...I thought It would ruin my life and that it'd never go away but luckily, It isn't as bad anymore. How are you doing now that it's two months later?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
    britrose
    (female)

britrose HB User

I feel much better than i did. It took me about 5 wks. to get over the symptoms as i had very bad nausea every day. That's 95% gone now. The only thing i'm experiencing that i had before surg

Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
    philgneill
    (male)

philgneill HB User

Had my gallbladder out 6 days ago. First two days experienced only mild pain (other than soreness). By the third day I was walking all over the house including upstairs. Had my dr visit today. I have been having considerable lower back pain. He said this is quite normal because I am favoring the abdominal muscles.

All in all, much easier than I expected.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
    britrose
    (female)

britrose HB User

[QUOTE=britrose]I feel much better than i did. It took me about 5 wks. to get over the symptoms as i had very bad nausea every day. That's 95% gone now. The only thing i'm experiencing that i had before surgery is IBS. I've had mostly probs. with constipation though. the 1st 2 wks. after surgery every time i ate i had to run to the bathroom. Now, 2 months later, lots of bloating and gas. Hopefully this will get better.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
    Jeffsanky
    (female)

Jeffsanky HB User
    Cool Re: Problems after Gallbladder surgery????

I just had my gall bladder removed a little over 3 weeks ago and I am experiencing SEVERE nausea. The nausea is comparable or worse than morning sickness. I've talked with several others who had the surgery and all were better and eating normally after a week. I have no diarrhea so far, but the nausea is terrible. I seem to have lots of gas, burping, rumbling in the tummy so I can relate to the gas pains. Did you take anything to relieve the nausea? How were you able to eat?

Last edited by moderator4; 03-06-2006 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Repeating Quote is not needed

Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I had some severe nausea and still do if I eat anything too high in fat. Right after I had my GB removed it was worse than ever. I took Gravol for it. A nurse gave it to me in my IV just after surgery and it worked good...until I got home then it wore off and I felt horrible. I lost about 10 lbs the week after surgery because I didn't have an appetite. I only ate crackers, arrowroot cookies, plain toast, plain cereal and drank gatorade and ginger ale the week after surgery. I am doing alot better now but I do have to avoid anything rich and/or high in fat or I have nausea, cramps and diarrhea.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
    Jeffsanky
    (female)

Jeffsanky HB User

diamond79,
    Thanks so much for responding. I am really trying to eat as much as possible, but it is SO difficult. I'm eating very bland food......applesauce, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, bananas. Basically anything I can get down. I can't afford to lose weight at this point. I am very tall and thin anyways and 10 pounds would be extreme for me. I've lost about 5 so far.

Also, I have this ache/bruise in the breastbone area since the surgery. It is not as bad as when I first had the surgery, but I'm still concerned about it. It's more severe when I sleep because it hurts if I lay on my back or my sides. I am not a belly sleeper. I just had the barium test done and it revealed no signs of ulcers, hiatal hernia, acid reflux, etc. which is good. I was convinced that I had an ulcer. I've been on Nexium since Jan. 1 and just recently switched to Prisolec last week due to Insurance reasons. After doing some research on my own, it sounds like I have gastritis. Can anyone comment on this? It's difficult when you still feel lousy after surgery and you don't know if it's surgery related or another problem. I will be seeing my PCP this week to discuss my barium test results so I will see what she has to say. Also, I'll ask if she can give me anything for the severe nausea.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by moderator4; 02-28-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I have chronic "mild" gastritis (according to the results of my endoscopy) and take 40 mg Pantoloc (Protonix). It is a real pain the the butt to get rid of. I have had it for almost a year now. Every PPI I have tried works for the first couple weeks and then stops. I am now just avoiding anything irritating to my stomach like chocolate, caffeine, spices, tomatoes--basically anything bland is ok. That seems to be helping alot.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
    Jeffsanky
    (female)

Jeffsanky HB User

I felt so lousy this morning that I made a trip to the ER today. I was having chest pains and abdominal pain in the rib cage area. I'm also very weak, dizzy and lightheaded. I think my chest pains are due to anxiety and not knowing why I am feeling this way. They ran some tests and sent me home about 5 hours later. They did an ultrasound to determine if one of the stones was lodged in my bile duct. That turned up negative, but I was told by the ER doctor that it's not a full proof way to determine if a stone would have escaped out of the gall bladder. Apparently, they can do more testing with dyes (to test for lodged stones) when I have the endoscopy, which is scheduled for next Tuesday. Between the severe nausea, not being able to eat, the dizziness and gnawing pain in my rib cage, I am a MESS!!!! I hope they actually find something so that it can be fixed. Waiting and not finding anything is much worse!!!

I know what you mean about the PPI's. I've heard that from others and have been doing much research on-line. I'm not sure if the Prilosec is working or not. One of it's side effects is dizziness, so my husband is convinced that's part of my problem. I'll continue the bland diet like you recommended. Actually, I'm not really interested in eating much of anything.......it all turns my stomach!!! I'm sorry you are suffering with the "gastritis". You wonder why they can't find a better medication/cure for some of these irritating conditions. Thanks for the update and responding. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
    LesleyAnne
    (female)

LesleyAnne HB User

I had my gallbladder out in January of 2005 and had nausea/burning pain/bad belching for another five months after my surgery. I had an endoscopy done in April of 2005 and it revealed that I had not only Acid Reflux but also Gastritis. My gastro doctor stated that sometimes after Gallbladder surgery it takes time for the body to adjust to not having a gallbladder....ie the body at first still assumes there is a storage site for the bile so it continues to squirt out the same amount of bile as before the surgery. So because there is nowhere to store the bile it can get backed up in the stomach and cause inflammation of the stomach which is called "gastritis." One of the main causes of gastritis is what the medical world calls "bile reflux." When reflux of bile and pancreatic juice occurs, the lining of the stomach becomes irritated and inflamed (gastritis), and the contents of the stomach can then reflux up into the lower part of the oesophagus, irritating that too (oesophagitis). These changes give rise to pain/nausea/burping/burning.

With that being said....I started taking a PPI (Aciphex) which really doesn't help with bile reflux, but can help with the acid reflux (reducing the amount of acid that the stomach produces -- I had both acid and bile reflux......because of all the bile backing into my stomach..that pushed the acid up into the esphogus).
    I also played the waiting game. MY GI doctor told me that eventually your body will adjust to not having a gallbladder...it just takes time. It indeed took me several months of misery before I felt relief..... You should ask your dr about bile reflux ....it does indeed happen in some people who have their gallbladder removed.....but not all of them.
    And try and think positive, unfortunately our bodies can't always fix themselves over night!

Last edited by LesleyAnne; 03-06-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
    Jeffsanky
    (female)

Jeffsanky HB User

Thank you so much for you reply. It is very comforting to hear from others who have had similiar issues with the gall bladder surgery. My endoscopy is tomorrow so we will see what that reveals if anything. I really like our gastroenterologist who my husband has seen for many years due to ulcerative colitis. I trust him with a thorough exam and hopefully some additional information. The barium swallow test revealed nothing. The SEVERE nausea is the worst thing and not having an appetite to feel like eating. I feel like I am forcing each mouthful of food down. I didn't know there was such a thing as "bile reflux". Wow......I can't believe that it took you so many months of misery before feeling better. I am hoping my symptoms settle down soon so that I can get back on track with a "normal life" before I had the surgery. Did you also have the severe nausea? How did you cope and did you take anything for it? Since I am so stressed out over all of this, I really don't want to take anti-nausea (which causes anxiety) or anxiety medication which can be addicting. I am finding it difficult to sleep at night, probably because I am constantly thinking about my condition and I have been extremely nervous these days.

Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. I know you said that time is the key, so I will keep that in mind. It's been 4 1/2 weeks since my surgery so it's still fairly early. You are so right in saying that it takes time for our bodies to heal and adjust to not having an organ or dealing with the trauma of surgery. I just had tonsillectomy surgery in Aug. 2005 so I feel like I am still recovering from that. I guess I just want to feel good after being in pain for so long. I was misdiagnosed with the gallstones for several months. They thought I had acid reflux and began to treat me with Zantac, Nexium and now Prilosec.

I also have been saying lots of prayers in the meantime. Glad to hear that you are feeling good again. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you!!

Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
    LesleyAnne
    (female)

LesleyAnne HB User

When my nausea got real bad I would take Zofran (they use it for chemo patients). It really did help. I also would force my self to eat..no matter what. Sometimes just getting something in my stomach helped calm it down....cause when you think about it if there is no food in there for the acid to be working on...then the acid will be irritating your stomach. I also kept myself very busy....i played sports/ran/worked out all thru the nausea to help keep my mind off of it. IT really did help....because I just wasnt sitting around dwelling on my condition.

I would talk to your GI dr about zofran and also make sure he/she looks for excess bile in your stomach during the endoscopy. Also talk to him/her about bile reflux.....I am sure they will know what I am talking about. I won't say that what I went thru was easy...it was very, very hard...but keeping a positive attitude made it that much easier. I also took a few vacations in there as well. It seems as though when I am a different location....a lot of my symptoms disappear..making me wonder that maybe half of my battle was that I was so stressed about what was going that I was making it worse!!

I will keep you in my prayers... please keep me posted on how you feel..I know you will feel better soon.

Last edited by LesleyAnne; 03-06-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I have heard of "bile gastritis" and wonder if that is what I could have. I had an endoscopy done about 9 months ago and said I had "mild" gastritis. I am finding it hard to believe it is "mild" though!
    I have had it for over a year and every PPI I have tried does not seem to work--works then stops after a couple of weeks. There has to be a reason why I have gastritis. It wouldn't just show up all of a sudden! How do they tell the difference between acid reflux and bile reflux?

Hope your all feeling better soon!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
    Jeffsanky
    (female)

Jeffsanky HB User

I had my endoscopy last Tuesday (7th) and it revealed that I had a severely irritated stomach and it almost starting to bleed in some spots. He took biopsies and also tested for H Pylori. The gastro doctor is convinced that was causing my severe nausea and loss of appetite. He put me on Protonix which I take once a day in the morning. So far, my stomach seems to be healing slowly and my appetite has come back also. Even some of the abdominal pain, gnawing, aching feeling has slowly started to diminish. In addition, I visited my PCP this past Friday (10th) and told her about my anxiety that I have been dealing with since the surgery. I haven't been able to sleep, I've been pacing constantly, and also having extreme heart palpitations. She said that I am experiencing anxiety and panic from both of my recent surgeries (gall bladder in Feb. and tonsillectomy in Aug 05). I've also been dealing with my Father's recent death last year, a miscarriage and a few other issues. She apparently saw all of this coming and hitting it's peak as I progressively got sicker and more worked up over my health issues. She put me on Klonipin for now to calm me down. I take one pill at night which allows me to get a good night sleep and a 1/2 in the morning to get me through the day. I have felt some relief already. At least I can get a good night sleep and also eat again without the extreme nausea. I believe the anxiety is a big part of my stomach issues........constant worry about not feeling well and whether they would find anything wrong or not. It's like a vicious cycle. I go back to my gastro doctor on the 21st to see what he has to say. I will ask him about the bile reflux then. The PCP received his report and it does not reveal that I have H. Pylori bacteria which is a good thing. The gastro wants me to stay off of caffeine and chocolate until the tummy heals.

The PCP also suggested that I talk to someone about my anxiety issues. She is sending me to someone in the city which is about an hour away, but she claims she is awesome. My PCP said many of the local therapists are not very sensitive to the anxiety issues and basically blow you off and medicate you. I'll be making an apointment this week so I can get started with my therapy.

I also developed a UTI during this time, probably due to stress. I was tested last week for it, having the burning, vaginal irritation syptoms. I knew something didn't feel right so I had my PCP send out my urine for a culture. I'm glad I did, because even though my white blood cell count was good in the office, the culture revealed bacteria. I started taking tetracycline yesterday since I am severely allergic to macrobid. I am hoping that does the trick.

My PCP said anxiety usually hits your gastrointestinal area, then your bladder which is what is happening to me. I've always had bladder issues and been to the urologist many times over the years. They've found nothing, but claim that I am prone to the UTI's. My PCP also agreed that accupuncture might be a good outlet for my anxiety and stress. She has heard many success stories about it and it's definitely worth a try. Once my tummy heals and UTI clears up, I will need to investigate that route.

Well I wanted to update everyone on my progress. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone and hope that you are healing daily too. Take care and please reply when you get a chance.

Closed Thread