It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gall bladder - had stitches out yesterday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
    paula43
    (female)

paula43 HB User
    Gall bladder - had stitches out yesterday

Just an update...6 days post-op yesterday and the dr. took off the 4 white patches and tape. I was surprised at how tiny the cuts are. Just looks like a real fine line scab. I'm not a bikini person so didn't care about the scars but this is amazing and we're all lucky they can do it this way now. The stitch removal hurt somewhat but I didn't care! I was so glad to get "part 2" over with! I walked home from the office and bought a 64 oz. apple juice (4 pounds). It felt like 10 pounds so I know that I haven't gotten back my strength yet. Still pretty tired but nothing like the first 3 days when all I did was sleep (drugged too!). Anyone else get their stitches out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
    stellatj
    (female)

stellatj HB User
    Re: Gall bladder - had stitches out yesterday

I went today there was no stitches to remove just the tape he said it looked good and said he would not have to see me again the whole office visit was 2 minutes he did say my gallbladder was cancer free and i do have the titanium clips

Old 05-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
    paula43
    (female)

paula43 HB User

Thanks for your quick replies Stella, I really appreciate it. Mine also said he won't see me again unless I have a problem. I am having pain on the left side about 2" below my breast. I know you said you had this a few days ago. I guess everything has to shift around after they remove a part of our body but wondering if this is normal. I am feeling more tired today and have this pain on and off and still some pain on the right which is expected. Please let me know if you have any left sided pain. If anyone else is reading this, please let me know. I get scared easily. Also has some back pain just above waist before but that went away. Stll gassy. Thanks for the fiber tip! Fruit and fiber has always given me diarrhea though so I am trying to steer clear right now. How much weight did you lose this week? I lost about 5 pounds.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
    2littlemonkeys

2littlemonkeys HB User

Glad you guys got the seal of approval! My stitches will disolve on their own so the doctor won't be taking them out. I'm 3 days post-op and I find myself having fleeting, sharp, shooting pains just about everywhere. I think it's to be expected. Regardless of how everyone treats this surgery, it is still major surgery and an organ is now gone from our bodies! Can't be all better in 2 or 3 days. I haven't taken any pain meds since 2pm yday and I only took half of one then. I was able to get all my bandages off last night and shower. Between the shower and stopping the meds I am really feeling much better today. Have even had breakfast AND lunch (oatmeal and a burrito with just chicken and rice from a Fresh-Mex place) Still having nausea but I've read where that can last up to 2 weeks. No bowel movement yet but today's the first day I've really eaten anything substantial. If nothing by Sunday (day 5) I'll get something to help things along.

I went with my husband to pick my son up from school today. It's the first time I've been out of the house since coming home from surgery Tuesday. Couldn't believe how quickly I felt weak and ready to come home. Pathetic! LOL! But I will build my strength back up in time.

Keep healing everyone!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
    stellatj
    (female)

stellatj HB User

Good job on your 5 pounds i have lost 80 on weight watchers several years ago and i just maintain that. the week before surgery i lost 5 pounds but i found them this week my body is happy at 145 and thats where it usually stays.
    I do have the left side pain right under the breast it feels crampy also a lil pain in my back on the right side about waist high it could be from sleeping on my back tonite i will try my side. i also notice i burp more and today for the 1st time i think i had acid reflux it just up out of nowhere
    maybe that was my body saying i should not of eaten that cookie

Old 05-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
    2littlemonkeys

2littlemonkeys HB User

Oh, and I had a question for you guys, anyone seem to have a constantly dry mouth? I'm drinking a ton more than normal and I always feel like I need more, thinking it must be related to the anesthesia.

Food is starting to sound good again for the first time in months! I could really go for a good cheeseburger. Haven't had a desire for food since February! I am of course too scared to have a cheeseburger this soon, but it's at the top of my list as this all progresses!

And Stella's post reminded me: I slept on my left side last night! I am so happy, I hate sleeping on my back! I slept much better, though I'm still awaiting the night where I don't wake up at all!

Last edited by 2littlemonkeys; 05-19-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
    stellatj
    (female)

stellatj HB User

about feeling weak i think we need time to recoup i walked a mile yesterday at a slow pace but boy let me tell you i was tired the rest of the day
    i mean really tired

Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
    paula43
    (female)

paula43 HB User

littlemonkeys, my mouth was so dry for the first three days. Nothing I did helped. Also, they put tubes down your throat while you're asleep so my throat was irritated and my voice was raspy and high. The dryness will go away real soon, robably by tomorrow. Drink as much as you comfortably can, not just for that but to flush the anesthesia and drugs out of your system.

Stella, I walked a lot yesterday and am weaker today than I've been in a few days. Just feel crummy, went out but that's it for today. I think I tried to do too much. Back to bed and watching tv!

Old 05-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
    schao
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

schao HB User

Hi everyone:

I still have my steri-strips on--I see my surgeon this next Tuesday morning--it took a little longer to get an appt. So, he'll take the strips off then, and they said my stitches will dissolve on their own. Paula, thats good to know that they are very small scars--I am a bikini person, so we'll see I guess. I still ache all over. I've been having a lot of just "weird" pains. Weird back pains, abdomen pains--really all over. But like you all said, we do have to keep in mind that we did have an organ taken out so our body does need to compensate now. I have no patience at all--its only been a week, but I feel like I should feel better than I do. My mom tells me not to worry though, and that I do still need to rest--I am very tired still. I plan on resting a lot this weekend to catch up a bit.
    Have a good weekend all!!!

schao

Old 05-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
    paula43
    (female)

paula43 HB User

Hi Schao, it's good to see you post again. I was wondering how you were. A week for me today and I also have back pains, side pains but mostly still abdomen pains. Almost every day I feel like napping but tonight I walked for about 2 hours, browsing in the store. I hope I didn't do any harm. I felt pretty good but wonder if I should be resting or am I disrupting the healing which can hurt me permanently. I think I'll hang around the house this weekend and rest. Do you get pains on the left side too, upper abdomen? I think a lot of it is still gas and our new bodies making new spaces to rearrange things. We have to be patient, this was major surgery even though done by lap...most people and drs. say 3 weeks before we feel really normal again.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
    2littlemonkeys

2littlemonkeys HB User

Day 4 and I had my first BM this morning...first normal one in 3 months! Whew! A complete relief! Still semi-nauseous and not too much of an appetite but we're getting there. Going to my son's pre-school graduation this morning, got up and did too much too soon to get everyone ready to go and feeling a bit weak now. Taking in lots of water and starting to feel better!

Hope you all have a great day!

Closed Thread