It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gall Bladder Surgery/Complications

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
    Asani
    (female)

Asani HB User
    Gall Bladder Surgery/Complications

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with having their Gall Bladder removed.

On April 6, The same day my grandfather passed away, I was in another city awaiting a flight out for the funeral. I started having alot of back pain, mid/upper back. I also started having pain under my ribs and had a hard time breathing. I've had chronic back pain for six years, which had gotten worse over the years to the point that I wasnt sleeping anymore, and going to work every day in extreme pain, pain killers were no longer working, and in January of this year, I started having the pain in my ribs and having a hard time breathing. I had gone to my family doctor off and on and had tests for my back to try and find out what was going on, no sucess. I had ended up in the emergancy rooms at two different hospitals, and they did nothing.

So, on April 6 when the pain was at its worse, and I hadnt slept in days, I could barely breath and I had fallen alseep standing up, my mother said enough was enough and we were going to the hospital. I thought it was a waste of time considering my past trips, but since I was in a different city my mom thought they might do something.

So, 3 am I walked in, I was put in a bed right away, had blood taken, urine test, and a wonderful shot of demeral, and I slept for the first time peacefully in six years They did an ultra sound and they found it to be my Gall Bladder. The surgeon said it was quite large and there was alot of infection so that I needed surgery and he didnt recommend getting on the plane.

April 7th around 11:30 at night I was taken down to surgery, and was my mother and husband were told I would be out in about an hour, four hours later they were a tad bit worried. When the doctor came out he said that my Gall Bladder was the worse he's ever seen, it was the size of an egg plant, full of infection and stones and had been pressing against other organs. they couldnt do the surgery as they do these days, so I had the normal four incisions, and then a very large incision under my ribs. I also had two holes, one for a blood drain and the other for a bile t-tube/drain. I was in the hospital for two and a half weeks before I was released.

During Surgery, because the gall bladder was so large and so difficult to get out, they had ripped the tube attached to my liver, so six weeks later and I still have a t-tube and drain hanging from my stomach with hopes that next week when they remove it, the tests after will hopefully show I wont need a second surgery.

So..Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or if I'm alone in this. I was surprised my doctor and the assisting doctor both said it was the largest and worse gall bladder they had seen and they were both older and have been practing for quite sometime.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and I'm sorry to anyone who has a surgery coming up, I didnt mean to scare anyone...I'm sure my case isnt an every day thing =)

Asani

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gall Bladder Surgery/Complications

I am so sorry you have had to go thru this. Obviously, all those back aches were caused by the diseased gallbladder. And for those who don't know how serious this can be, I have a friend whose father died from a ruptured gallbladder last year. I don;t know how people stand the pain sometimes. Mine had one large stone and was damaged, scarred and inflamed. That pain was bad enough for me. Luckily I had the three hole surgery and did fine. Am so sorry you had to have the old fashioned kind (which my mother had years ago). Have other family members had GB problems? Continued good health to you!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
    Asani
    (female)

Asani HB User
    Re: Gall Bladder Surgery/Complications

Thank you =)

I'm the first in the family to have had the surgery, and my mother is the only other who has any issues, she has one gall stone but its never bothered her before. Then again, she has her hands full with colon cancer.. I swear when it rains it pours lol

Thank you for your reply =)

Closed Thread