It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• pancreatitis or gallbladder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
    jen

jen HB User
    Post pancreatitis or gallbladder?

I am 25 years old and have chronic pancreatitis (cause unknown). About 4 months ago I had 1/2 my pancreas and my gallbladder removed (they removed the gallbladder as a preventative measure - it wasn't damaged).

About 4 weeks after my surgery I began having "attacks" which I thought were similar to pancreatitis attacks (and until very recently assumed they were).

I was supposed to be able to eat normal again after the surgery but slowly every thing (not just fat) has started to give me attacks and now I get them 3-4 times a week. I get a swollen upper abdomen, pressure, pain and diahrea.

I have gone to my GI surgeon every couple weeks since these started and they have always thought it was my pancreas but never knew why it was happening. Now after doing some reading and coming here, I am thinking that these attacks have something to do with the gallbladder removal.

It seems to me that all my Drs were so concerned about the pancreatitis that they didnt bother to tell me reprocussions of the gallbladder removal. Everyone just kept saying "you don't need it, it's not a big deal" Now I am wondering if this is the source of my pain and discomfort.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help, after a year of pancreatitis, I can't take this anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile

Hi jen. I may not be much help to you, but I can only share my story. Prior to my GB being removed, I suffered severe right side pain, nausea, and diarrhea. After GB removal the pain was gone, but my IBS-D worsened and I ended up developing bile salt diarrhea - basically I had explosive watery, bright yellow movements after or during meals. That's my complaint with GB removal; however, my movements are solid and under great control now with Colestid, so I really don't have any more complaints about having my GB removed.

Hope you find some answers,
    Katie G

Old 05-29-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
    jen

jen HB User
    thank you,
    did you also experience bloating and pressure and pain with it?
    Are there foods to particularly stay away from?

Closed Thread