HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Post Gall Surgery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/41354-post-gall-surgery.html)

Callie20 10-21-2003 04:15 PM

Post Gall Surgery

Two weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed (I'm 20 years old) and I "get sick" after everything I eat and I continue to have the horrible pain in my ribs. I thought that this surgery was supposed to help, not increase my pain and sickness. My doctors keep giving me different meds to dull things and they are just making things worse. I have tried 3 doctors and they act like everything is in my mind. Has anyone had the same problems? Do you have any solutions or help???
~Callie

Dianek 10-21-2003 06:00 PM

I had similar pain like that afterwards and my surgeon just said that it was acid and me having trouble digesting fats. It eventually went away, but for awhile I couldn't have alcohol or anything spicy or fatty. Now and then I have phantom pains, but not too often. I feel fine now.

Callie20 10-21-2003 09:09 PM

austin4 10-22-2003 08:11 AM

Callie: Had mine removed 6 weeks ago. Couldn't eat anything w/o lots of stomache pain...fasted for days. Went on numerous gallbladder boards and found out about plant enzymes. Imediately helped. I've had no trouble eating since then...I am on a low fat diet but by choice. I highly suggest these. The body struggles hard enough to digest food and now it's missing an organ that helped it do that ... plant enzymes merely aid the body in the digestive process. Goood Luck.

berry258 11-06-2003 10:15 AM

re: post gallbladder pain

I had my gallbladder removed in February and was for the most part fine until the beginning of October. I started having attacks that were the same as before I had it out. They did tests that showed that my liver enzymes were elevated. My doctor set me up for an ERCP. That is a scope test combined with xray to check my bile duct for obstructions. They did the test the other day and removed 9 stones from my bile duct. They also found some polyps in my stomach that are " probably nothing" . At first I was angry at my surgeon for leaving stones behind, but my gastro doctor said that it is possible for them to form after removal of the gallbladder. I am grateful that they found something, my biggest fear was that I would wake up and they would say " Sorry, we didn't find anything, here's some more Vicodin, see you in 2 weeks." I am very confident that I will not have anymore attacks. I would recomend that if the pain does not go away, see about getting an ERCP done.

By the way, I had an abdominal ultrasound and CT that showed nothing before the ERCP.

farscape66 11-07-2003 11:57 AM

Liver Stones

I read somewhere that stones are actually formed in the liver, they flow down the duct into the gallbladder where they grow bigger over time. So without a gallbladder there is a chance for one to get caught in the duct more easier.

penquinlady 11-11-2003 04:08 AM

gallbladder pain???

Hi Berry 58
I had my gallbladder out in 88 . I still to this day get extremely bad attacks of pain just under my breast bone and radiating to my back. This pain has been ongoing since before my gallbladder was removed. I have had test after test with nothing showing up. The pain is so severe I end up in emerg alot and get high end drugs to ease the pain. The pain you described is it same? Also when this happens my back feels real cold too! Anyway any help would be appreciated.
thanks penquinlady

austin4 11-11-2003 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=penquinlady]Hi Berry 58
I had my gallbladder out in 88 . I still to this day get extremely bad attacks of pain just under my breast bone and radiating to my back. This pain has been ongoing since before my gallbladder was removed. I have had test after test with nothing showing up. The pain is so severe I end up in emerg alot and get high end drugs to ease the pain. The pain you described is it same? Also when this happens my back feels real cold too! Anyway any help would be appreciated.
thanks penquinlady[/QUOTE]

Scary. That is happening to me. Had gallbladder out 2 months ago, certain foods causee attacks that feel just like the attacks I had before surgery. So afraid they missed something. Could be I need to be on a really strict zero fat/grease diet...as consistently what sets it off is anything even mildly greasy. Hate having to take vicodin but it's the only thing that works. The plant enzymes are working pretty good, but someone said more bile salts... anybody know anything about that. Depressing...thought surgery would handle this. So in reply to your question.....don't experience the cold back pain, but it could be maybe you bp dropping? Hate having to take pain killers for this...

austin4 11-18-2003 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=berry258]I had my gallbladder removed in February and was for the most part fine until the beginning of October. I started having attacks that were the same as before I had it out. They did tests that showed that my liver enzymes were elevated. My doctor set me up for an ERCP. That is a scope test combined with xray to check my bile duct for obstructions. They did the test the other day and removed 9 stones from my bile duct. They also found some polyps in my stomach that are " probably nothing" . At first I was angry at my surgeon for leaving stones behind, but my gastro doctor said that it is possible for them to form after removal of the gallbladder. I am grateful that they found something, my biggest fear was that I would wake up and they would say " Sorry, we didn't find anything, here's some more Vicodin, see you in 2 weeks." I am very confident that I will not have anymore attacks. I would recomend that if the pain does not go away, see about getting an ERCP done.

By the way, I had an abdominal ultrasound and CT that showed nothing before the ERCP.[/QUOTE]

Wow, exactly what I'm going thru. Took awhile for me to realize..hey, these are the same attacks. It's not always that the stones continue to form, my doctor told me w/ lap surgery it's extremely common for stones to get missed. My latest blood work up showed elevated liver and it was within 18 hrs of an *attack*. Before any more surgery I'm doing a flush to get rid of stones. I'm sick of the only fix being vicodin for the pain. If it walks like a gallstone attack and talks like a gallstone attack, well, you get the idea :) I've also been eating a beet recipe for thining the bile that has been extremely effective (started it the day after my last attack and haven't had one since-- I average one bad attack a week) which consists of one med organic beet grated, mixed w/ juice from 1/2 lemon and one tbls extra virgin oil or flaxseed oil. Working wonders for me. One has to wonder why surgeons don't inform you of the high risk of recurring stones w/ lap surgery.

nyxin 11-18-2003 04:50 PM

Can you guys tell me why you had it removed? what were your symptoms? i am having some pain on the right side under my rib cage that goes around to my back sometimes. it isn't a bad pain, just annoying. is having a bad gall bladder dangerous? please let me know

JenBrooke123 11-18-2003 07:57 PM

I had mine out at 18. I am now 28. I was fine until one day in class I got a bad upset stomach and cramps, it never went away, after a long time they finally found out it was my glallblader, after they removed it I did feel better, but I can't eat like I use to and get upset stomachs often. I still get the cramps but usually only if I have not eaten anything in the mornings, and it is not all the time. I know a lot of people that still get that.

internetnut 11-18-2003 08:25 PM

I to get phantom pains....

3 yrs post surgery and I still get pains not nearly as bad but still there. Doctor thought it was muscle spams but I can tell the difference. I had gallbladder attacks from stones for 3 yrs before the doctor put 2 & 2 together that it was gallstones. Good luck! Christine

austin4 11-19-2003 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=nyxin]Can you guys tell me why you had it removed? what were your symptoms? i am having some pain on the right side under my rib cage that goes around to my back sometimes. it isn't a bad pain, just annoying. is having a bad gall bladder dangerous? please let me know[/QUOTE]

Severe pains in the area of the gallbladder that had escalated over time. Had no idea I had gallbladder problems. The last one was 12+ hrs in duration and I went to the er. After 8 hrs they finally do a ultrasound and say my gb is infected and must be removed. Caught me be surprise and I agreed. Had never educated myself about the gallbladder and it's related probs. I'm positive, had I educated myself before hand I could have avoided surgery. Look into a gallbladder / liver flush. H. Clarke has some good info on it. In this area (gb) there are so many alternatives to surgery. :wave:

nsmith4366 11-22-2003 04:07 PM

Re: Post Gall Surgery

If you've had your gallbladder out and have diahhrea after eating fatty foods that lasts for longer than 3 months please see your doctor. This is called Bile Salts Diahhrea and there is treatment for it (Questran or Whelcol - bile acid sequestrants) before meals. Please do this. Excess bile can lead to colon cancer.

Trust me, I know.
N