It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Having gallbladder surgery next week-kinda scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User
    Having gallbladder surgery next week-kinda scared

Hi there. Well, my gallbladder surgery is scheduled for next week Friday (the 25th). Im getting pretty darn nervous too.

I have to gallstones, ultrasound was normal. My hida scan however was not-gallbladder not functioning properly. I have a host of stomach problems to include gastritis, and IBS constipation. I get lots of burning pain in my abdomin along with right sided pain, cramping, nausea, etc.

I dont' know if this surgery is going to help but I figure why not try it right? Still, Im scared. Never had major surgery before and I am praying that the procedure wont make things worse for me??

Any words of advice, etc are very appreciated. Thanks so much.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User
    Re: Having gallbladder surgery next week-kinda scared

Aaaawwww Nal,
    I will say prayers but I'm sure it will be ok. I had never had major surgery before either so I know exactly how you feel. I was so scared I wrote letters to my children and husband the night before... just in case. Everything will be fine. One minute I was laying on a gurney and the next I was waking up and it was all done.
    Just follow doctors directions... if I could suggest:
    1. Limit stair climbing or anything using stomach muscles for a while.
    2. No lifting... it causes stomach muscles to pull (I'm in my third week of recover and unfortunately I lifted something too heavy and now am dealing with a slight burning pulling pain in my stomach. ... the surgeon said it sounds like I popped a stitch open inside).
    3. Make sure you have night shirts... I found (and I have heard from others as well) that it is hard to deal with anything touching your tummy after the surgery. After a week or so it improves... but even in my third week I'm really ready to change out of pants to relieve pressure on my stomach... possibly because I injured it this week???
    4. Get your doctor to write you prescriptions for naseau and painkiller.
    5. Do things before hand i.e., prepared meals and freeze them etc. ... you won't be up to doing a lot for a couple of weeks... it helps planning ahead if you have children to take care of or if you are the one that cooks meals.
    6. After surgery sleep and rest as much as you can for the first 2 or 3 days. After 3 days ... take it slow cause if you do too much too soon you relapse.

Hang in there it will be ok....I understand how nervous you are... I will say a little prayer for you.
    crampster

Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User

Crampster,

You are very kind, thank you! My two year old will be at her grandmothers for a couple weeks and I will have my 8 and 11 year old here but they are pretty self-sufficient. Meals wont be a problem-my hubby can cook those and I am sure I will have some people bringing meals by as well.

I already have burning stomach pain so I hope that wont get too much worse. What kind of symptoms did you have before getting your gallbladder out? Sorry your in a little pain right now-that really stinks. Have you noticed any digestion improvements as of yet though?

Nancy

Old 08-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

I did ct and hida scan of tests and they were fine. I was having the pinching pain... felt kinda like a stitch in the side after running a lot LOL... I know I haven't been runningn so that wasn't it. Anyway I had a tight band across my ribcage right along were my bra sits...very gassey and crampy.
    That is gone now, the pain(stitch) in my side is gone now... I have been so pleased other than me trying to hurry along and doing to much and reinjuring myself... I have been fairly pleased.... ok ok... I am really pleased.... just not feeling at this moment.

As far as digestion goes not having as much problem as I did prior... because I seemed to be gassy and had IBS attacks. Everything has setteled down... other than being very atender round my belly button cause I got carried away and a little ditzy because of the pain killer I am doing pretty good.

What kind of IBS... IBS w/D or IBS w/C do you have?
    crampster

Old 08-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
    danielm
    (male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Hi Nal, I'd also like to chime in and let you know my experience too as I had my gall bladder removed about 18 months ago. I was pretty ill before the proceedure, with regular gall bladder attacks, upset tummy and malaise.

The proceedure itself was very straight forward, it took only a couple hours from being knocked out to waking up in recovery and whilst I had to take it easy for a while with the staples, the difference was immediate in how I felt.

Some people report issues eating particular foods once the operation is done, other people can just go back to their normal diet. Because you don't have a gall bladder to regulate the flow of bile into your system, your body will take a little time to readjust - don't worry, this is normal. A few weeks later and you should feel good as new.

Good luck and best wishes Nal, but seriously, don't worry - whilst it is a pretty big operation, it's a very straight forward one with thousands done in the country every year and you should breeze straight through it.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
    pbjmom
    (female)

pbjmom HB User

I, too, want to give some advice for your surgery. I had mine done two weeks ago tomorrow (Monday). I was home and in my bed 7 hours from the time I got to the hospital and got home after the drugstore run (husband drove, of course). Please, please stay in bed as much as you can and rest. Of course, you will need to get up and go to the bathroom and walk a bit to keep good circulation, but I found the more I sat up the worse I felt. LAying flat helped me. The no-fat diet is good to start with. My mother found a vegetarian broth 100% fat free that was better than the chicken broth....much tastier. Applesauce and non-fat yogurt was good too. Slowly add low-fat into your diet. I have yet to eat greasey, fried or fast food. Sticking to the low-fat stuff. I have not had the bathroom issue, but feel like the bile adjustment is happening and it makes me queasy. When you start eating normal type food, you may want to eat small meals more often during the day. It will help with to not have an empty stomach.

You should do well with this! I am no fan of surgeries, but I am thankful I did this. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing! These boards are a great source of help and information.

Take care!
    pbjmom

Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User

Thanks guys. Im feeling a little better about it myself. Did any of you have any burning pain when you had your gallbladder problems?

Nancy

Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

Nal,
    I did after the surgery but that was because I was lifting too much weight and tore one of the stitches out according to the doc. I see him for follow up on Monday to make sure all is well.
    crampster

Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User

Well I am actually having the burning pain now-one of my worst symptoms.

Nancy

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

Where is it burning?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

Where is it burning?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #12
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

Hopefully the surgery will take care of thr burning???
    crampster

Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
    lola003
    Inactive
    (female)

lola003 HB User

I had gallbladder surgery about 8 years ago. Simple proceedure. A bit uncomfortable for a few weeks. Will more than likely have to sleep on your back for awhile but you manage when you have too. I've not had any complications since. Your body learns to adjust. I never knew I had a problem until I went it for something else and they noticed that my gallbladderw was three times its normal size. Doctors were amazed I didn't have any pain.

I had the less invasive proceedure where they make three tiny incisions and remove it through your belly button.

Good luck and don't worry.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User

Thanks for the words of support-it really means a lot to me!!! Surgery is only a couple days away. Hope it helps!

Nancy

Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
    crampster
    (female)

crampster HB User

Nal and Mommy2,
    The surgery isn't so bad really. Don't be nervous. It's what you do after the surgery that can make things complicated. In my third week of recovery I lifted something over 25 pounds and felt a pop/pull on my stomach. I have since been to the surgeon for follow up... and have to go see him again in 6 months. He said there is a possibility that I have a hernia... but only time will tell.
    Please, please do everything you can ahead of time... make meals stick them in the freezer for your family and take it easy for 3 to 4 weeks at least. No heavy lifting. It just is not worth it. After I lifted an empty metal cart up a step to help a coworker I was very uncomfortable... but it only got worse instead of better. By that evening I had severe burning in my stomach to the point I was unable to stand up straight. So even after a week or two when you are feeling better please take it easy. Remember this is kinda major surgery... they are moving organs around inside to take remove the gallbladder so you will feel battered and bruised a little. Heating pad or hot water bottle helps. If you take it easy (which is really hard to do if you are a mom or wife) things will go faster. Then just take your time eating a little at a time lower fat foods until you find out what works for you.
    Let us know how you are doing.
    crampster

Closed Thread