It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gall Bladder Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
    Oscarooni
    (female)

Oscarooni HB User
    Question Gall Bladder Pain

Hi,

I think I have got a gall bladder problem even thought I had an ultra sound done and it showed no gall stones.

I get very severe pain some nights after I have had a meal The pain lasts sometimes for up to 8 hours. It starts off as a dull ache and then builds up to a very painful cramp lasting for a few seconds and then dies down to a dull ache again. This keeps happeing every few minutes and like I said lasts for hours. After the first few hours you start feeling totally drained and have no energy left at all. There seems to be nothing to take to stop the pain.

Does anyone out there know of anything you can take that will help with the pain that actually works. I have taken buscopan, Mylanta, Panadeine Forte but nothing seems to work.

I would love to hear from anyone who is experiencing the same pain.

I have just recently had major bowel surgery but this pain is not associated with the surgery according to the surgeon.

I have had an endoscopy, Xray and ultra sound but the doctor cannot find the cause of my pain.
    He still seems to think it is my gall bladder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User
    Re: Gall Bladder Pain

Hi I have been in pain for 10 months, everyday I am in pain sometimes under my right rib sometimes under my left rib, sometimes under both.

I also get pain at the bottom right near my ovary/ appendix!!

I have the pain NOW under my right rib and bottom right, I could cry, some days I do.

I had a scan in febuary it said no gallstones, I have had a colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Ovary scan, barium enema, barium follow through, I am waiting the results of the follow through.

I think it may be gallbladder diease, where its not working right!!

I wish they could find out why I am in so much pain,

I get realy scared it make me very anxious.

how long have you been having the pain, do you get the pain anywhere else!!

take care...Mandy xxx

Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should have a HIDA Scan. It will show whether the gb is functioning correctly. Previous posts from people in the UK indicate they don't do these tests regularly. You may have to argue for it or go outside your NHS.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
    anxiousagain
    (female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

I have a related question. I've been under severe stress for the past several months, so I'm thinking this could be stress-related but I'm not sure. Five years ago, an ultrasound of my gallbladder revealed a few small stones. At that time, my gastroenterologist advised me NOT to have it taken out as he felt my symptoms (also stress-related) were not attributable to my galllbladder. Once I got the stress under control, I had virtually no problems until now. In the past week, however, I have had 3 bouts of severe indigestion/gas in the overnight hours, lasting several hours. They either wake me in the middle of the night or prevent me from sleeping well to begin with. The best way to describe this pain is someone squeezing something tightly around my midsection. It is not heartburn as it is confined to my stomach. Taking a Tums or two seems to alleviate the pain to the point that I can at least get some sleep. By the time I get up in the morning, the gas/pain is pretty much gone. Could this be a gallbladder issue even though it's relieved by antacids, is not happening in relation to eating per se and is occuring in the midddle of my stomach as opposed to upper right quadrant? I really don't want to have surgery if I don't have to. I suppose if it continues, I'll demand a HIDA scan, which is what my gastro recommended the last time if I continued to have problems. Anxiety is a monster since it produces real symptoms that are very hard to distinguish from something genuinely wrong!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

It started a month and half ago , After I ate about any where up to hour I would feel this bad pain in my right side . at first it wasnt all the time but the pain was stabbing pains and then alot of pressure under my right rib. went and seen a surgeon he said it sounded like a diease gal balbladder before I seen him my regular Doctor had me have a altr sound showed notheing but he sent me to the surgeon and he sent me for ct scan did not show any thing. then the pain started getting worse bloating to where I look like I am going to have twins know thats big, hard to breath over the corse of all the pain in my right side and under my rib and in my right shoulder blade and even under my right side chest cavity and now it is low down on my right side I had been put in the hospital 2 x had another ct scan showed a stone into my gallbladder wall and also I have had a HIDA SCAN, showed my gallbladder is slow on return. The surgeon is doing surgery 31st of this month , he is on vacation and I have had 3 different times have experence really bad pain and felt like i am go to bust, buring in the middel of my stomach and even one after several of hours hurting little off to my left side was even hurting, and that not all over all this I have chronic back pain and bulging disc and nerve damage in my legs and several pain in my hips and so this also has added to more pain . hope this helps

Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
    health-junkie
    (female)

health-junkie HB User

He is now feeling ok but a while ago, my husband had very severe stomach pain. It started one night and didn't stop for few weeks. It was a proper nightmare. His stomach was hurting so much, he couldn't walk straight. He was either rolling about on the floor clutching his stomach or when he felt slightly better, he could walk but only in a doubled over manner because standing straight would hurt his stomach like mad. Breathing in and out would cause fresh bouts of stomach pain. He couldn't eat or sleep. The pain was so bad that they gave very strong industrial strength painkillers because otherwise it was just unbearable. Basically, during that time it seemed like there was nothing that wouldn't cause his stomach to hurt. The pain was so bad, at times he felt it hurts his whole body. We went to the doctors. They did blood tests, endoscopy, ultrasounds and couldn't find anything but they did say it might have been gallbladder. No stones, thank God but they said with many patients even severe stomach pain like that doesn't mean anything serious although, of course, you need to have it checked out even if it's just to exclude underlying conditions.

It lasted few weeks. During those weeks, he couldn't eat anything but some rice boiled to porridge like state in some chicken stock. I know it doesn't sound enticing but it's the only thing I could think of that would give him some nutrition without hurting his stomach. When he felt a bit better, we gradually returned to normal food. And few weeks later, when the pain stopped, he was back at work. This never repeated itself again. Fingers crossed, this horrible pain will never come back. But we still don't know what it was! Very strange.

Last edited by health-junkie; 03-28-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by health-junkie View Post
    He is now feeling ok but a while ago, my husband had very severe stomach pain. It started one night and didn't stop for few weeks. It was a proper nightmare. His stomach was hurting so much, he couldn't walk straight. He was either rolling about on the floor clutching his stomach or when he felt slightly better, he could walk but only in a doubled over manner because standing straight would hurt his stomach like mad. Breathing in and out would cause fresh bouts of stomach pain. He couldn't eat or sleep. The pain was so bad that they gave very strong industrial strength painkillers because otherwise it was just unbearable. Basically, during that time it seemed like there was nothing that wouldn't cause his stomach to hurt. The pain was so bad, at times he felt it hurts his whole body. We went to the doctors. They did blood tests, endoscopy, ultrasounds and couldn't find anything but they did say it might have been gallbladder. No stones, thank God but they said with many patients even severe stomach pain like that doesn't mean anything serious although, of course, you need to have it checked out even if it's just to exclude underlying conditions.

It lasted few weeks. During those weeks, he couldn't eat anything but some rice boiled to porridge like state in some chicken stock. I know it doesn't sound enticing but it's the only thing I could think of that would give him some nutrition without hurting his stomach. When he felt a bit better, we gradually returned to normal food. And few weeks later, when the pain stopped, he was back at work. This never repeated itself again. Fingers crossed, this horrible pain will never come back. But we still don't know what it was! Very strange.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Thank you for sharing this with me, I am glad to hear your husband is better and he never goes thru it again , Its hard when you hurt so badly and they cant find anything or even knowing what it is. Take care

Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anxiousagain View Post
    I have a related question. I've been under severe stress for the past several months, so I'm thinking this could be stress-related but I'm not sure. Five years ago, an ultrasound of my gallbladder revealed a few small stones. At that time, my gastroenterologist advised me NOT to have it taken out as he felt my symptoms (also stress-related) were not attributable to my galllbladder. Once I got the stress under control, I had virtually no problems until now. In the past week, however, I have had 3 bouts of severe indigestion/gas in the overnight hours, lasting several hours. They either wake me in the middle of the night or prevent me from sleeping well to begin with. The best way to describe this pain is someone squeezing something tightly around my midsection. It is not heartburn as it is confined to my stomach. Taking a Tums or two seems to alleviate the pain to the point that I can at least get some sleep. By the time I get up in the morning, the gas/pain is pretty much gone. Could this be a gallbladder issue even though it's relieved by antacids, is not happening in relation to eating per se and is occuring in the midddle of my stomach as opposed to upper right quadrant? I really don't want to have surgery if I don't have to. I suppose if it continues, I'll demand a HIDA scan, which is what my gastro recommended the last time if I continued to have problems. Anxiety is a monster since it produces real symptoms that are very hard to distinguish from something genuinely wrong!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

I really dont know what to tell you, I have really bad axiety at times in my life and It can cause alot of problems , when I would wake up I would start getting over whelmed and felt very sick to my stomach and I even felt ill just the thought of haveing to go some where. My point is and I hope its help the pain between both gallbladder and stress are to different as far as pain. for 2 month I have been having alot of pain in my right side and alot of bloating all the time and when I am in alott of pain my stomach get so tight and also causes pain and spasm in my back and my ribs that I feel like I am going to blow up. at first it started after I would eat about 20 to 30 mintues started in my right side under my rib into my side and into my rib area in the back also pain under my right shoulder blade as time has gone on I also have pain in my lower belly on my right side and also belching at time with a bitter taste. I have also lately been feeling some pain under my rib area on my left side. I have surgery on monday and I hope every thing goes ok I cant stand the pain any more also if it is getting worse other side effects are fever yellowing of your skin and white of your eyes. I hope you find out what wrong with you. one more thing I had 2 alta sounds showed nothing first ct scan showed nothing the 2nd ct scan showed stone embedded in the wall of my gallbladder. I had a hida scan and it showed my gallbladder needs taken out . hope this helps

Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAD MAZ View Post
    Hi I have been in pain for 10 months, everyday I am in pain sometimes under my right rib sometimes under my left rib, sometimes under both.

I also get pain at the bottom right near my ovary/ appendix!!

I have the pain NOW under my right rib and bottom right, I could cry, some days I do.

I had a scan in febuary it said no gallstones, I have had a colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Ovary scan, barium enema, barium follow through, I am waiting the results of the follow through.

I think it may be gallbladder diease, where its not working right!!

I wish they could find out why I am in so much pain,

I get realy scared it make me very anxious.

how long have you been having the pain, do you get the pain anywhere else!!

take care...Mandy xxx

Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Mandy, started 2 month ago at first it wasnt all the time . after I ate maybe 20 to 30 mintues I would get side pain under my rib and into my side around to the back under my ribs on the right side. as time has gone on I have been very bloated look like I am haveing twins and at my age that diffently not the problem, for a month and a half my belly been so blown up and have pain every day also I been put in the hospital 2 x . I know have pain in the lower part of my right side down low. also pain under my right shoulder blade. I had several x rays lab work altr sounds and ct scan which the first one showed nothing but the second one showed a stone embedded in the wall of my gallbladder. but they did do a hida scan and that is when they found out my gallbladder is not working correctly. I have surgery on monday cant wait . and yes it can cause alot of pain and when you have gallbladder attack it can last any where 30 mintes to several hours and you will tighten up all round your ribs and back that you feel like you are going to explode. and yea the last few days I have been hurting on my left side under my ribs also my left back. hope this helps hey watch out what you eat it can cause alot of pain too. expecially choclate and soda.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oscarooni View Post
    Hi,

I think I have got a gall bladder problem even thought I had an ultra sound done and it showed no gall stones.

I get very severe pain some nights after I have had a meal The pain lasts sometimes for up to 8 hours. It starts off as a dull ache and then builds up to a very painful cramp lasting for a few seconds and then dies down to a dull ache again. This keeps happeing every few minutes and like I said lasts for hours. After the first few hours you start feeling totally drained and have no energy left at all. There seems to be nothing to take to stop the pain.

Does anyone out there know of anything you can take that will help with the pain that actually works. I have taken buscopan, Mylanta, Panadeine Forte but nothing seems to work.

I would love to hear from anyone who is experiencing the same pain.

I have just recently had major bowel surgery but this pain is not associated with the surgery according to the surgeon.

I have had an endoscopy, Xray and ultra sound but the doctor cannot find the cause of my pain.
    He still seems to think it is my gall bladder.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
    betty48
    (female)

betty48 HB User

Ask your doctor to do a hida scan . I had several test done and nothing showed up untill they did the hida scan. I have surgery monday 3/30/08. The pain can get really bad also I have stayed bloated all the time. hope this helps about pain I am on pain meds oxycodone but I have cronic back pain been on them for 3 years it helps some but when it gets worse that you have a gallbladder attack only strong pain meds can help some best of luck hope this helps

Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
    ivorysunsets
    (female)

ivorysunsets HB User

About a year and a half ago, I had what I believe were gallbladder problems.....awful, unbearable stabbing pain underneath the right rib and at the right shoulder, so bad that I couldn't breathe or stand up within an hour of eating anything.....right around the time I had an ultrasound that came back normal (my dr. had called and told me I am fine, never mind that terrible pain, I guess), the pain just stopped coming and I haven't had problems since. Weird. I hope yours goes away, too, because I wasn't able to find anything that helped in the time I had the pain. (I was actually coming to these boards tonight to ask if anyone ever had gallbladder pain that didn't show up on tests, because I was just thinking about how strange it was, and it's interesting that it has been others' experience.)

I never heard of the hida scan...I will keep that in mind and ask my dr. to do that if the pain ever returns.

Last edited by ivorysunsets; 03-29-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Closed Thread