It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• For those who've had gallbladder removed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
    joybdean
    (female)

joybdean HB User
    For those who've had gallbladder removed

I just had my gallbladder out on Nov 1st because I had an ejection fraction of 7.8% - my main symptom was nausea. Now 4 weeks later, I swear I'm having an attack. I really hadn't eaten much in the way of high fat foods until the past few days and even then it's not like it was a burger and fries. Over the last three days it amounts to a McDonald's plain biscuit, some organic pizza, and a klondike bar. Prior to that I had a bit of nausea when I had a particularily oily piece of salmon (poached, but fairly oily anyway). I'm currently having some epigastric pain as well. To the point of wondering an hour ago if I should go to the ER. It seems to be easing a bit now.

Can this happen? I thought once the gallbladder was out, the symptoms go away. Does it take a while to get used to eating fats again? The post op instructions said eat normal diet although there may be diarrhea. Never had that, but did have the bit of nausea. Actually last week I did have ice cream and the regular Thanksgiving foods and did not have a problem. Maybe my system is just regulating???

I called the surgeon's office, but they haven't called me back yet. I was in to urgent care two weeks post-surgery because of some back pain when I breathed deeply, but they, and the surgeon at my post-op, said it was probably muscle. I asked about a bile leak and he said I would be in much more pain, it would be in the front and in the shoulder because the bile would pool near the diaphram. Anyone have a bile leak? What did it feel like?

Of course, my mind goes to the worst. I'll talk to the surgeon's office tomorrow but I thought I would check here as well.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Re: For those who've had gallbladder removed

I had my gallbladder out about two years ago. I two had some post-op symptoms. It took about three months to completely even out. Just give it some time. I would say if it still bothers you in a month or two, then recheck with your doctor. But your body is probably still adjusting.

Take care and best wishes,
    -Vers

Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Get off the fat. Can't believe they told you to eat a normal diet right off the bat! You should have been off it a month and then slowly introduce it back into your diet.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My wife had her GB removed on 11/16 and she ate a hamburger today. And, everything is OK ---
    She has been taking Vitamin E since surgery and the last week taking a 1 gm Fish Oil capsule and an Evening Primrose oil cap along with other vitamins -- daily.

The point is everyone reacts differently to having their gallbladder removed.

Your body just may have to adjust to not having a GB -- now that your liver is putting out bile salts, bilirubin and cholesterol without the control that the gallbladder provided.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-30-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
    joybdean
    (female)

joybdean HB User

Thanks for the replies guys. This is the third day and I still have a bit of nausea, but it's definitely eased up.The surgeon's assistant thought it might be reflux as my body regulates. She said to go to bland foods, take an OTC, and let her know in a week if it helps. I'm not too thrilled about the Prilosec (when this all started back in Feb the dr gave me Prevacid because he thought my problem was reflux and it just made me feel worse), but I'm going to try it. I'm also going to lay low on the fats for longer too.

Thanks again. I'll stop worrying - for a while anyway

Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
    caperchic
    (female)

caperchic HB User

I had my gallbladder removed through laparoscope, a few days later I started taking attacks. They found more stones in the liver ducts that were left behind. Once those were removed I was fine.
    Hope this helps,
    Caperchic

Closed Thread