It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Crestor, Zetia And Gall Bladder Removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
    Crestor, Zetia And Gall Bladder Removal

My 70 year old cousin just had his gall bladder removed after one attack of pain and vomitting. The doctor said it was full of stones. He had been on Lipitor for years and was recently switched to Crestor. I was thinking maybe he has low hdl, and that's why his doctor put him on Crestor and Zetia.

I have a 55 year old cousin who has been on Lipitor for about six months, and
    he was taken to the emergency room with upper digestive system pain and gas, and it turns out he has gall stones.

My mom is on 40 mgs Lipitor daily and she is suffering terribly from heartburn and gas, and I am hoping she does not have gall bladder problems.

I did research on-line and found out that the statin drugs don't carry the cholesterol out of your body, it deposits the cholesterol in the gall bladder instead. In addition, I read that if the gall bladder is removed and fatty foods are consumed it can cause diarreha from the bile going into the colon, and colon cancer from the bile irritating the colon.

I am thinking that the dietary ways of reducing cholesterol, such as eating oat bran, would carry the cholesterol out of the body, and is a much safer route than going with the statins and having possible gall bladder trouble,

I am trying to get my mom to go to another doctor who will work with her to reduce her dose of Lipitor, and go with supplements and diet to keep her cholesterol at the required levels, because I am afraid the statin drugs will ruin her health.

Last edited by jacal5; 12-31-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: Crestor, Zetia And Gall Bladder Removal

You should worry, statins cause the body to malfunction. I just read the warning on gall bladder problems again yesterday on crestor. It should be stopped immediately if you start having gall blader problems. Also on the ad, was a line that said "not know to reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack or stroke"...... And I don't buy the line they do that for legal reasons, otherwise, all drugs would carry similiar warning that they don't do anything. Statins reduce cholesterol, period. They dont help with anything else. By the way you are supposed to STOP statins several days before major surgery...all surgery. In fact Health Canada uses the words "couple of days"....Statins reduce the immune function in the body...just what you need when you're having surgery.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

This thread interests me very much because I was on Crestor 5 mg for close to two years with elevated ALT levels as some of you may recall . Anyway, I was sent for a CT scan of my liver which id'd gallstones in my gall bladder (gallstones discovered by coincidence). I was referred to a surgeon who sent me for an ultrasound that confirmed the gall stones. I was asymptomatic, yet, both my treating physician and the surgeon recommended that the gall bladder be removed. I being a big chicken backed out a few days before surgery. Thereafter, I started seeing a new internist who sent me for a HIDA scan (due to the elevated ALT and the gall stones on my CT and ultra sound. The hida scan showed a well functioning gall bladder 15 minutes into the test. For the past 30+ days, I've been on a trial of Vytorin 10/20 and am worried about this gall bladder thread . Maybe I'll give Lenin's gall bladder flush a try this weekend just to be safe. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF OTHERS WOULD POST THEIR HISTORY (IF ANY) WITH GALL STONES, GALLBLADDER REMOVAL AND STATIN USE).

Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Okay Judge,

If YOU do it this weekend, I'LL do it this weekend (or Tuesday.)
    I'm overdue.

ANYBODY with suspected gallstones should do a gall bladder flush before he has his belly cut open...afterwards is too late.

Personal story: I have a history of recurrent accretions of gallstones that LONG predate my use of statins. I periodically blow them out with a Liver/GB flush and I am good for a year or two. I usually recover around 1 -3 Tbsp of bright green stones.
    I can usually tell from a full and discomforting sensation that it's time...I no longer wait for the waves of pain every 5 minutes after a bacon and eggs breakfast.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-03-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

I'm in. If I can stay away from work Friday morning, I'm going to do it Thursday night (so I can celebrate at the Chinese Restaurant on Friday night, of course ). I've already started my 1 gallon of Apple Juice . It's just the Epson Salt/water that tests me! Did you say if it was okay to flavor it somehow? Maybe some diet coke ? I think maybe my holiday diet was a bit of strain as I'm feeling the effects of the fat too.

I think that a discussion of gallbladder symptoms is something we all should remember (from time to time) on this forum, if for no other reason, because of the suspected effect of the statins on it. If this is indeed the case, we're likely to see much more literature on the topic in the future.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

I am finding this thread interesting. My husband was on Lipitor for years and didn't really have digestive problems, but after going off Lipitor we decided to do the gallbladder or liver flush. (I think I had seen Lenin or someone recommend it).

His first flush was amazing--all sorts of stone-type things. Sorry, if this is too graphic. Anyway, I did the flush as well--and nothing. I wondered if his use of Lipitor and high cholesterol and my low cholesterol was the difference.

It may be time for another. We use the Classic Coke one to cut the taste of the olive oil. Don't breathe when you down the Epsom salt mixture. Also, he lost seven pounds that he has never gained back although this was more than a year ago. Oh, one other thing, he used to have night sweats and that disappeared as well.

Jane

Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Judge,
    I never thought of flavoring the epsom salts...maybe a good idea.
    BUT don't use any acidic flavoring because that will cause some GB leakage of bile so maybe Coke is too acidic (citric and carbonic acid.)
    You want it all to happen ONLY when the olive oil/ lemon juice (grapefruit or vinegar okay too) is drunk...the FINALE!
    I'd be surprised if ANYTHING can cover the awful taste of epsom salts.

I actually LIKE the taste of olive oil or canola and grapefruit! Like really nice mild salad dressing.

I can't wait to hear your report <I guess that word works in many contexts. >

Jane,
    It seems reasonable that a low-cholesterol person might very well be less apt to form stones which are, after all, made primarily from cholesterol.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-03-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
    Wiseman
    (male)

Wiseman HB User

Dear Lenin,

For the sake of newbies (or at least this particular newbie), could you repeat the recipe for gall bladder flush, process, and what I can expect to feel...

Regards,
    Wiseman

Last edited by Wiseman; 01-04-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wiseman,

Here's a link to my post on my version of the liver flush. It is very similar to the "generic" flush which is easily found...but my timing seems an improvement (sleeping after several doses of a potent purgative purgative seems too risky to me.)

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=440163[/url]

Closed Thread