It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Does having your gallbladder out increase acid reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User
    Does having your gallbladder out increase acid reflux?

Hi! I just had my gallbladder out 2 and a half weeks ago. I have been suffering with acid reflux for years. I am 20 years old. i was on Prilosec for a while, then Nexium, then Prevacid, then Protonix, then back to Prevacid. At one point they were trying two at a time to see if it would help. Finally, the Prevacid helped, and I had felt much better, and for a couple of months had relief. I had my gallbladder out, and now it is back. Did having the gallbladder out cause it to get worse, or is the medicine just not working anymore? Not sure, but hating it, because it gets worse every time I throw up, and htat happens quite a bit right now. Not sure what to do. Haven't gone to the doctor about it, because quite frankly, it was the least of my problems for a little while, and only in the past couple of days have I started feeling myself again after the gallbladder was removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Re: Does having your gallbladder out increase acid reflux?

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago and I swear my stomach problems got so much worse. I guess it's because the juices are dripping directly into the stomach and not getting filtered threw the gallbladder. Sometimes I regret that I had it out...but nothing I can do about it now.
    You will probably find lots of people here who had their gallbladders removed.

Last edited by alex12; 04-21-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks! Yeah, after having it out, I completely regretted it, but now I am doing better, so I am happier. Not as sick (or I keep telling myself that), but having to watch my diet is annoying, because I have to eat teh food that the school serves, because I already paid for it, can't get my money back, and can't afford to eat my own food.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
    gooby
    (male)

gooby HB User

well guys, this is just a layman's understanding but from what I have learned, the gallbladder is nothing more than a resevoir for bile.

It stores bile, produced by the liver, until your body calls for it, which is triggered by food passing through the stomach. The common duct connects to the intestines in the duodenum which is the first section of intestine following the stomach.

The bile, among several other purposes, aids in the emulsification of fats which aid in their digestion.

The gallbladder does not filter the bile, merely stores it.

So, what happens when you have your GB removed?

The liver continues to produce bile but since there is no resevoir to store it, it flows directly to the duodenum. The worst problem I, and several others I know who have had a cholecystectomy, is since the fats are not digested, they pass, VERY QUICKLY, through the intestines causing diahrrea and gas. (just like when they made Lay's chip using Olestra (the imitation fat that did not digest)).

The sense of urgency can be extremely great and overwhelming. All trips were planned with knowledge of restroom location since once the urge struck, it was so ovewhelming there was no time to research later.

I experienced no problems other than that when mine was removed and it has become less and less a problem as time goes on. (surgery about 12 years ago. major discomfort ended a long time ago as well).

The only thing I can think of that would cause reflux would be over eating since things do not digest as quickly due to the lack of bile on call. I had that problem before surgery but not after.

stay away from fatty foods for awhile. bring them into your diet slowly.

Things will get better.

If overeating, overweight, or not much time standing or walking are not part of your life, I would consult a doc on the acid reflux. Don;t know anybody that has had that problem.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks for the advice and info! I actually have not had a problem with diarea (sp?). I have been extremely constipated since the surgery. Actually didn't have a bowel movement for a week after surgery. Yeah, I am being really careful about my fat intake, as well as trying ot put fiber into my diet. My only issue with that is how much fiber is considered high, when on a high fiber diet?
    I just don't know what is causing all of this stinking heartburn. It is killing me, and tums don't help. I know that my dad uses straight baking soda, but I just can't force myself to do that crap.
    I don't know what is up with it, but it needs to just go away. I may consult my GI and ask him what is up.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
    gooby
    (male)

gooby HB User

are you or have you been on pain meds? especially narcotics?

They will cause constipation. If you are backing up, so to speak, what you eat has nowhere to go. That may be increasing the pressure on your stomach and causing acid reflux.

a stool softener would be appropriate.

if you have been having acid reflux for an extended period of time,. there could be actual damage that needs to heal.

earlier in life when I seemed to be having some acid problems I found several things that helped.

/don't over eat
    /do not lay down after eating
    walking after meals is prefferable
    /do not go to bed with a full stomach
    /avoid carbonated or caffeinated drinks
    /avoid alcohol
    /Gaviscon-this is a type of acid treatment that makes a floating raft that sets on top of the fluid in your stomach. it prevents acid from sloshing out. It doesn;t do a lot of good when laying down.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks for the advice!! That makes a lot of sense! I have been on narcotic pain killers (in fact, just stopped on Tuesday). I will be sure to follow those tips and see if they help! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
    cheer up
    (female)

cheer up HB User

Dear bananarama - glad you are feeling better. Yes, many of us have increased acid reflux and other issues when GB is gone. Mine was removed three years ago and I've had complaints off and on.

When I am diligent about not eating too much, or the wrong things, I feel a little better. What I have learned is that no amount of time is enough to prevent post surgical woes from this GB removal. I've known people who had it out 20 years ago and suddenly had symptoms of post-chole syndroms (PCS). You take it as it comes -- but all things considered, most of us are probably glad we had the surgery. Not all by any means, but most.

Good luck with your continuing recovery. FYI -- most doctors say you won't feel truly back to normal for up to a year and even then things crop up later. But within that first year, don't be shocked by anything that happens anywhere in your abdomen; it can almost all be related to the surgery.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks cheer up! Yikes! Why do they not explain the consequences of surgery before they do it?? If I would have known about all of the complications and such, I may not have had it done. But everyone said it was best to get it out. My surgeon said afterwards that it might not have helped anything, because there was no sludge or stones, and therefore could possibly not have been causing problems. My symptoms have gotten better somewhat since, but the acid reflux is worse, as well as new things just keep popping up. I now have kidney stones, and have to see a urologist about blasting them, and on narcotic pain relievers again. I don't know what is happening to my body! I feel like I am falling apart, but I know that I just have to keep pushing through all of it. Hopefully after all is said and done, and I am trully healed from the surgery, then there will be no more flareups of the gallbladder, and the acid reflux will just go away.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

They also thought it was my gallbladder and I had it removed. My reflux got worse after it was removed but it didn't get worse until months later so I don't think it was the gallbladder. Besides I eat very little fat and still have problems. Right now I'm eating no fat, my stomach still bothers me and I still have reflux. I seriously doubt the gallbladder had anything to do with these problems before or after. They did say my gallbladder was full of polyps so it's better that is was removed. Whether thats true or not I don't know since I don't trust what any doctor says.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Yeah, I am learning to not trust doctors as much now. I mean, they experiment with medications, then run tests, then experiment again. Then, the decide to run more tests, and hey, osmething shows up!! Yay! I don't know what to think right now. I just hope that the problems go away soon. Good luck!!

Closed Thread