It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Normal Gallbladder But sysmptoms of Gallbladder Anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
    Sisty
    (female)

Sisty HB User
    Normal Gallbladder But sysmptoms of Gallbladder Anyone else?

I have symtoms of gallbladder issues. Upper middle stomach pain and pain on the right below my ribs, radiates to my back. All my tests have come back negative including my HIDA scan. My GI is going to do a second CT with contrast if that is normal then he wants me to see a surgeon. Has anyone on the board had their gallbladder removed that showed normal on tests? And if so did this stop the pain?
    Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by Sisty; 06-12-2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Incorrect spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
    Forensicmom
    (female)

Forensicmom HB User
    Re: Normal Gallbladder But sysmptoms of Gallbladder Anyone else?

I know how difficult it is when you're sick and the dr's can't find a reason. I don't have any advice on this. I had the same problems and my HIDA scan came back at only 16%, so I was referred to a surgeon. I had my gallbladder taken out last month and I'm pretty sure it's taken care of my problem.

I'm just wondering, if your tests were normal, why is your dr referring you to a surgeon?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
    Sisty
    (female)

Sisty HB User

I think it is becuase he is at the point of not knowing what to do with me? He said he would leave it up to the surgeon if they wanted to remove the gallbladder!! It is just frustrating when you are in pain and nothing shows up. Has anyone had normal tests and had exploratory surgery that showed up anything?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sisty View Post
    I think it is becuase he is at the point of not knowing what to do with me? He said he would leave it up to the surgeon if they wanted to remove the gallbladder!! It is just frustrating when you are in pain and nothing shows up. Has anyone had normal tests and had exploratory surgery that showed up anything?
    I hope you are feeling better and they get to the bottom of what is bothering you. But if every test is negative including the Hida scan I don't think I would let them take my gallbladder out. For many people (me) it has made my life worse than before and I did have a bad Hida scan result. I would take it back in a second if I could.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
    Sisty
    (female)

Sisty HB User

Miknan, what symptoms were you having and what symptoms are you still having after having your gallbladder removed? I am so sick of being in pain and no answers.
    Thanks
    Sisty

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sisty View Post
    Miknan, what symptoms were you having and what symptoms are you still having after having your gallbladder removed? I am so sick of being in pain and no answers.
    Thanks
    Sisty

Long time history of GERD that diet and meds did help. Occasional nausea. Sometimes bothered me quite a bit others time it would go away. Occasional right sided pain just below and to the right of my sternum. The pain was never that bad just annoying. Would come and go but was starting to happen more often. All my tests showed no evidence of stones but my Hida scan showed my gb working at 24% and during the CCK injection part I thought I was going to die the pain and nausea got so bad. Those symptoms supposedly made me a good candidate for gb surgery. Since then (3 weeks) I have had terrible nausea, stomach pain, and extreme fatigue. Most people supposedly get better 10-14 days but I have read a lot about it taking 4-6 weeks for some and I am hoping I am in that group and something else isn't wrong although I am starting to have my doubts about that. It is very hard to take care of my wife, three kids, and work when I feel absolutley horrible most of the time. I am are worse than before but hopefully that still can change with some more time.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
    nanarich1
    (female)

nanarich1 HB User

i have been having gallbladder symptoms for a while. i had a scan and it was normal. today i had a hida scan but it did not hurt. does this mean my gallbladder is normal?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
    JessyAZD
    (female)

JessyAZD HB User

It's hard to say. I have heard though that when the CCK is injected your symptoms have a lot to do with what Drs. think about having your gallbladder removed. My GI Dr. went by my ejection fraction(which was 8%) and the fact that I had horrible pain in my abdominal area and hot flashes when the CCK was injected. It brought me to tears but luckily only lasted a few minutes. I did not have any nausea though. I have also heard, though, that CCK can be uncomfortable even to people w/out gallbladder problems. I honestly don't know what is true. It took about 2 months to diagnose my problems. I had tons of normal urinalysis and bloodwork, a normal ultrasound, a normal CT scan, and a normal Endoscopy. My HIDA scan came back abnormal and I was referred to a surgeon. He said I had bilary dyskenisia and had an 80% chance of my symptoms going away with surgery since I "had no stones." He said there is a 95% success rate with gallstones. 80% is still a very high chance of success so I had my surgery on June 11. It turns out I did have gallstones. They were tiny and imbedded inside my gallbladder. My gallbladder was very distended as well. My wall thickness was 4mm and the normal is 1-2mm. My gallbladder was in bad shape even though all these tests were coming back "normal". I'm not so sure I trust all these testing methods today(or maybe it's just the people running the tests). I do know it's frustrating to keep getting normal results though when you know something is not normal. I'm young(23) and I think Drs. just ruled out my GB b/c it's not common at my age. It's also not unheard of either and I felt I was put on the backburner and should have known something sooner. Since my surgery, i've felt much better. I have recovered wonderfully. I'm still a little swollen and bloated 3 wks. post-op. I'm also burping a lot but I hear all of this is to be expected. I just wanted to say something good about the surgery b/c so many people write so much bad about it on these forums. I was scared to death after reading some of this stuff on here prior to my surgery. Everything turned out fine, recovery wasn't very painful, I was back to work in a week, and my body is already telling me "thank you" for getting that nasty organ out. I know i'm going to feel much better in the long run.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Well here is my story, might help you a little. I had bad abdominal pain after eating, nausea at times, and just couldnt eat well. They ran all sorts of tests ran that showed nothing wrong OTHER than I had very slightly elevated pancreatic enzymes. After much discussion, I had the choice between taking my gallbladder or doing and ERCP to look at my pancreas. Their thought was maybe i had "sludgy, sandy bile" or crystals in my gallbladder. Well since an ERCP can cause more damage then good, i chose to have my gallbladder removed. It was quite a fight to get a surgeon to take a "normal" gallbladder out (HIDA scan negative, CT neg, US neg). But he took it out. Not but 4 days later all symptoms returned, pain, nausea, etc. Well its been 11 months of battling with this crap and what we have determined is that I have a problem with my pancreas, even though it does not show inflammed or structurally abnormalities. When they went in to measure the pressure in my pancreas duct it was elevated. So my point is, have you had your pancreas enymes tested? Tried eating a very low fat diet?? Tried to avoid lactose for some time?? Having your gallbladder removed is no simple procedure, you could be left with diarrhea for life and you can still have pain after its removed as many posts on this site will show you. Hope that helps some.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

I'm now almost 6 weeks post op. Actually felt pretty good this past weekend when I went camping. Don't know if it was the fact that I was busy or in the outdoors but I felt almost normal. Still have to watch my diet. Tried my first fatty meal since the surgery and had immediate diarrhea. Since that weekend I feel better but still not quite right. Saw my surgeon yesterday and he said my body should have adjusted by now and I must have a GI issue. He ordered a gastric emptying study and referred me to a GI. Also took me off my Reglan so my body can rid that drug before my gastric test two weeks from now. He thinks I may have gastric motility problems. Why they didn't test for that before removing my gallbladder I will never know and is too late to be mad about now (although I am). I realize most do well after surgery and don't post on these sites because they got better stuff to do so all you read is mostly negative, but if EVERY test is coming back normal you would be very, very foolish to push for your gallbladder to be removed because believe me, it can make you worse. Ask for the gastric emptying test. Seems like not many people don't have this done until they start getting desperate. I have a feeling it will show my stomach isn't emptying fast enough.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #11
    MzG1968
    (female)

MzG1968 HB User
    Cool Re: Normal Gallbladder But sysmptoms of Gallbladder Anyone else?

I have had gallbladder symptoms for years, burning, pain under the right rib cage area. I had gone to the ER several times and had ultrasounds that came back negative for stones. My family doctor sent me for ultrasounds that came back negative. Since I was being told that I had no stones I didn't push the issue. Last month I had two bad attacks, one sent me to the ER with vomiting and severe pain. Again, the ultrasound showed no stones. My family doctor referred me to a surgeon. The surgeon ordered a HIDA-scan. After an hour and a half my gallbladder finally showed up and the second injection was given. There was some cramping and pain after the injection but passed quickly. My ejection rate was 18%. The surgeon said that was abnormal and left it up to me on what to do.
    I opted to have the surgery and be done with it. Best decision I've ever made! The surgeon found once she got in there that an artery had wrapped itself around the gallbladder and was squeezing it off keeping it from functioning properly.
    The only problem I've had from the surgery is gas, from air being blown in during surgery in order for the surgeon to have room to work and to have a better view. I've had minimal pain...mainly just sore from the incisions. The gas has been the worst thing and Gas-X has helped with that.
    My surgeon wanted me to take two weeks off but I'm feeling so good that I'm going to see if she will let me go back this week instead of next.
    I've had no problems with diarrhea. I've actually been constipated which is normal for me since as far back as I can remember. I've been able to eat EVERYTHING with no problems. The nurse actually brought me a turkey sandwich with mayo an hour after my surgery. In the week after my surgery I've eaten very spicy foods and fatty foods and even had a margarita four days after the surgery all of which have caused me no problems.
    I hope this helps...

Last edited by MzG1968; 07-09-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Sisty, my pancreatitis never showed up on any scans (US, CT's or MRI's). The only thing that came up abnormal was my blood levels of amylase and lipase (pancreas enzymes). And mostly my amylase was normal it was just my lipase being elevated and then my symptoms. When they did an ERCP to look at my pancreas they measured the pressures of my pancreas that measured high, so they ligated the pancreas sphincter. So yes I have been diagnosed with pancreatitis multiple times but they just dont know the cause. It is likely going to turn out to be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing pancreatitis. Were your enzymes tested when you were having an attack of pain?? If so, and they were still normal than I would say it is likely not your pancreas. It was just a thought I had since you sounded to have a lot of the same symptoms I have. Sorry, no good diagnosis for me. I know how incredibly frustrating this can be, hang in there.

Closed Thread