It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Indigestion and Gallbladder Problems???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User
    Indigestion and Gallbladder Problems???

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if those of you who had/have gallbladder problems also experienced indigestion. I've heard about common symptoms such as the upper right quadrant pain and nausea, but I haven't heard much about plain old indigestion. I do have upper abdominal pain which is a symptom of gallbladder problems (and a lot of other things), but in addition to that, I find that I burp up what I''ve eaten up to several hours after eating. I've even burped up a meal from the night before the next morning. My doctor did say this wasn't normal, but he didn't say what might be causing it. I'm going in for another ab ultrasound next Monday (1st one 8 months ago showed sludge; second one at end of June showed nothing), but I'm curious to know if indigestion is a symptom of gallbladder problems.....any thoughts? Thanks, AJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
    Collector167
    (male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
    Re: Indigestion and Gallbladder Problems???

Indigestion, upset stomach and diarrhea were some of my first symptoms of gallbladder problems, I thought it was ulcers. I took prilosec for six months, turns out the prilosec and other PPI's may cause the gallbladder to contract less forcefully than it should-worsening the situation.

The HIDA scan remains the best test for gallbladder function. If you only have sludge/crystals you might talk with your GI doc about Ursodiol or Actigall which are supposed to help dissolve some types of sludge/stones. I'm taking it right now and have gained relief and avoided surgery.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
    Indigestion, upset stomach and diarrhea were some of my first symptoms of gallbladder problems, I thought it was ulcers. I took prilosec for six months, turns out the prilosec and other PPI's may cause the gallbladder to contract less forcefully than it should-worsening the situation.

The HIDA scan remains the best test for gallbladder function. If you only have sludge/crystals you might talk with your GI doc about Ursodiol or Actigall which are supposed to help dissolve some types of sludge/stones. I'm taking it right now and have gained relief and avoided surgery.
    Hi Collector,

Thanks so much for your reply!! I've definitely had indigestion and and upset stomach, but no diarrhea, thankfully. that's interesting and terrible to know that you were on PPIs for 6 months and that it actually makes the gallbladder less able to contract! I was on Protonix for 6 weeks and it was awful. I could barely digest my food because I assume I just didn't have enough stomach acid. The doc acted like I was crazy, but things got better once I went off it.

Interestingly enough, my first GI doc ordered a HIDA scan-- at my urging. However, he did not order the CCK injection. But because my gb looked normal on the scan, he didn't see a need to repeat the test with the CCK injection. However, I have heard that even if the gb looks normal on the scan, there can still be a low ejection fraction.

Anyway, I decided to switch docs, and my new (and current) doc said that HIDA scans are worthless and of no value-- even though I asked him repeatedly about it. That made me mad. When my new insurance kicks in come January, I'm definitely going to a new doctor.

I have heard about Ursidol, but what I heard didn't sound too promising. I'm glad it has helped you, though. The research I read made it sound like it takes a year to do anything, and that surgery is the preferred method. Of course, these are docs talking, so who really knows?

Did you also find that you got full quickly when eating? That was another thing I've noticed. Perhaps it's related to the indigestion. I was found to have H Pylori bacteria and I did the Triple Therapy, but it's been 5 weeks and I don't feel any better after it (Of course, I have yet to re-test to see if it's still there). At any rate, friends of mine in the medical profession keep saying its probably my gb, and I have always thought so too since Day One. OF course, my first GI doc said, "OH, it's probably IBS or Non Ulcer Dyspepsia". At least they didn't use the stress excuse...that would've sent me through the roof!

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

did you find that the PPIs helped ease your discomfort? Were there any side effects other than the possible reduction of the gallbladder contractibility? I think the PPIs might be making things worse for me somehow. Cannot begin to imagine exactly what, why or how. My GERD seems to be intensifying.

thank you,
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-21-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Hi,

did you find that the PPIs helped ease your discomfort? Were there any side effects other than the possible reduction of the gallbladder contractibility? I think the PPIs might be making things worse for me somehow. Cannot begin to imagine exactly what, why or how. My GERD seems to be intensifying.

thank you,
    flowergirl
    Hi Flowergirl,

Before I was given a PPI, I had no acid reflux/heart burn. The docs just gave it to me b/c they didn't know at that point what was wrong. (And still don't.) Within about two and a half weeks, I could barely digest my food. It felt like it was just sitting in my stomach, festering there. Oddly enough, though I felt like I had eaten a steak dinner every time I ate a few crackers, I didn't have heartburn/reflux or stomach pain while on the PPI. When I went off the PPI (Protonix), I started getting heartburn and acid reflux (Perhaps as a rebound?) and my stomach started hurting again. If it was affecting my gallbladder function, I have no idea, as I ate so little during that time (including fat), that I doubt I was "asking much" of my gb anyway!!

I know this isn't a popular theory, but my acupuncturist believes that PPIs make things worse, because most people have too little stomach acid-- not too much. You could always try taking Betaine HCL to supplement your stomach acid and see if it helps.

Anyway, let's see if Collector responds, since he was the one who mentioned that PPIs can affect the function of the gb.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Old 11-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
    Pebkac
    (female)

Pebkac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mizzaj View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering if those of you who had/have gallbladder problems also experienced indigestion. I've heard about common symptoms such as the upper right quadrant pain and nausea, but I haven't heard much about plain old indigestion.
    I thought indigestion was a common part of it, often severe indigestion. That's actually a big part how I knew something was wrong, general gut troubles, burping, nausea as well as the pain. Until last year I had a cast iron gut. The old gallstones I knew were there had no trouble for over 10 years. Then finally due to the severity of these gut problems plus strange pains, I correctly self diagnosed what the heck was going on.

Still have some problems two weeks after surgery, but the pain is gone and the digestive/gut problems are lesser and I hope they clear right up at some point.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pebkac View Post
    I thought indigestion was a common part of it, often severe indigestion. That's actually a big part how I knew something was wrong, general gut troubles, burping, nausea as well as the pain. Until last year I had a cast iron gut. The old gallstones I knew were there had no trouble for over 10 years. Then finally due to the severity of these gut problems plus strange pains, I correctly self diagnosed what the heck was going on.

Still have some problems two weeks after surgery, but the pain is gone and the digestive/gut problems are lesser and I hope they clear right up at some point.
    Hi Pebkac,

IT seems like digestion probably is a big part of it, along with general gut troubles like you say. And it's funny, 'cause I used to tell people the same thing-- that before this year I could eat ANYTHING and had an iron stomach....funny. Then it seems like these problems come out of nowhere. I was NEVER the type who had to restrict anyhthing I ate...until now!

I think I'm just confused because indigestion can also mean other things-- but other than testing positive a while back for H Pylori and sludge/mircogallstones, I don't know what else could be causing the indigestion. If it is something like "Non ulcer dyspepsia", then I wouldn't know what to do, because I can't tolerate PPIs and I'm already eating small, frequent, low fat meals and I still get pain. So that's why I was curious to know how many people experienced indigestion as part of their gallbladder problems.

I'm glad your pain is gone post-surgery. I've heard it can take up to a month to recover. If my problem is actually my gallbladder and I end up having it removed, I hope that it solves my problems and things return to being as normal as possible. Maybe I'll never get my iron stomach back, but then again, it probably wasn't the best thing for me anyway-- it encouraged me to eat too much. This will probably be the first holiday season where I DON'T gorge myself....yay for some things!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi mizzaj,

Quote:
    Within about two and a half weeks, I could barely digest my food. It felt like it was just sitting in my stomach, festering there

thanks for your post! That's exactly how I feel right now. My stomach feels as if ít's full or rocks. I can tell I'll have another fun night.
    I agree that people should not need an acid reduction. Our bodies were designed to work with the amount of acid produced naturally within. Acid and digestive enzymes are produced in sufficient amounts for optimal functionality. When we start disturbing the natural balances, we are asking for trouble.
    I never taste ANY acid, which I find strange. I feel I should be able to taste or at least smell it.

flowergirl

Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
    Hi mizzaj,

thanks for your post! That's exactly how I feel right now. My stomach feels as if ít's full or rocks. I can tell I'll have another fun night.
    I agree that people should not need an acid reduction. Our bodies were designed to work with the amount of acid produced naturally within. Acid and digestive enzymes are produced in sufficient amounts for optimal functionality. When we start disturbing the natural balances, we are asking for trouble.
    I never taste ANY acid, which I find strange. I feel I should be able to taste or at least smell it.

flowergirl
    Hey flowergirl,

I agree that people should not need an acid reducer; I totally agree that when we start disturbing our natural balance of things, it can make them worse. Sometimes things get out of balance on their own, or for reasons that we're unaware of, but the solutions that docs often prescribe for the ailment we have often aren't the best way to treat what we have. Like with the over prescribing of antacids. I think the problem with acid suppressing drugs is that they do and can provide temporary relief for a lot of people. But once people stop these drugs, new problems come about, or the old problems are worse. We're very much an immediate gratification society, so it makes sense that we'd want something that would help in the short term, and know very little about how it might harm us in the long term. I do wonder if the PPIs have made things worse for me overall...I often wonder what would happen if I had never gone on them....oh well. I guess now I just need to figure out WHAT is going on with my digestion, and how to handle it and be patient enough for it to be dealt with, or to go away on its own, etc.

Good luck to you! If the PPIs are making your stomach feel like it's full of rocks, you could try switching to another one, or try something less intense-- like an H2 blocker like Pepsid AC. Or don't take any of that stuff at all if you can! Taking the Betaine HCL didn't help me, but apparently there are a lot of stories of it helping people. Again, it just makes me wonder if even that is just messing with the normal balance of things......

Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mizzaj,

well said!
    Interestingly, the pharmacist I talked to yesterday when getting my Nexium and Felodipine suggested I switch to another drug. He wrote down the name for me as I have to ask my internist about it. I'll go dig it up. Got it. It is called Pariet. I've never heard of it. I mentioned how bad my acid reflux gets at night. His suggestion was to take the Nexium in the evening with my evening meds. I could do that, certainly. That would leave me with no Nexium to take in the morning. What am I going to be like at work? I have had choking episodes while in the middle of conversation with people. Not only is it unpleasant, but also embarassing and people get really concerned. I think I won't be changing anything right now. I don't want to have to start taking these pills twice a day.
    It's good to hear I am not the only one with these problems. I am surprised at how common these types of digestive issues are. It seems my stomach hurts whether or not I eat. It hurts right now. I just ate some nuts. It had hurt before when it was empty. I don't think food is behind my problem. Like you, I will have to figure out what's going on and what to do about it. Thank you very much for your help!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
    Mizzaj,

well said!
    Interestingly, the pharmacist I talked to yesterday when getting my Nexium and Felodipine suggested I switch to another drug. He wrote down the name for me as I have to ask my internist about it. I'll go dig it up. Got it. It is called Pariet. I've never heard of it. I mentioned how bad my acid reflux gets at night. His suggestion was to take the Nexium in the evening with my evening meds. I could do that, certainly. That would leave me with no Nexium to take in the morning. What am I going to be like at work? I have had choking episodes while in the middle of conversation with people. Not only is it unpleasant, but also embarassing and people get really concerned. I think I won't be changing anything right now. I don't want to have to start taking these pills twice a day.
    It's good to hear I am not the only one with these problems. I am surprised at how common these types of digestive issues are. It seems my stomach hurts whether or not I eat. It hurts right now. I just ate some nuts. It had hurt before when it was empty. I don't think food is behind my problem. Like you, I will have to figure out what's going on and what to do about it. Thank you very much for your help!
    Hi Flowergirl,

Well, I hope the Pariet works for you! I've heard of it but don't know anything about it. I read some of your posts on other threads and see that you have really bad reflux....I'm so sorry! That must be awful. And you're saying that prior to this past year, you never had any of these problems? You sound a lot like me....prior to almost a year ago, I never had indigestion of any kind. I could eat for days and be fine. Weird, huh? When this first started for me (stomach pain, fullness, to be specific), I figured it'd be diagnosed and dealt with in a couple of months. 9 months later I'm STILL dealing with it.

I go today for another ab ultrasound to see if my gallbladder has stones. It did when I tested back in March, but then not in June (I did no flushes of any kind). The problem is that I know having stones is not in itself the definitive cause of my issues. It could be, but the only way to know is to take out the gb-- and I feel like I want a little more reassurance that it's my gb before I jump into surgery. Maybe I'll be able to convince my doc to do the HIDA scan. I feel very frustrated that he thinks it's a "worthless" test when so many others have had it and it's been a helpful determiner of gb problems for them.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted on your progress....I should find out soon if I have still have high levels of H Pylori. But even then, it doesn't mean that's been causing my symptoms-- or it could be BOTH that and my gb. I guess I don't envy the GI docs 'cause this stuff isn't clear cut, but they certainly don't seem overly concerned if you aren't "dying". I guess reduced quality of life is not enough for them to do much!!!

You mentioned in your other posts about seeing a naturopath. Once my new insurance kicks in come January, I'm thinking of seeing a naturopath that I've spoken to. I've taken herbs prescribed by my acupuncturist, but they didn't seem to do anything. So I'm curious to know how his approach will be different (acupuncture didn't seem to help either). If you're into tools that you can use on your own to ease anxiety, worry, etc, look up EFT-- Emotional Freedom Techniques. My acu doc told me about it and said that you basically tap the same "energy meridians" that are stimulated by needles when acupuncture is done. It could have some sort of helpful effect. I just started doing it, so I couldn't say, but I'm willing to try anything that doesn't involve putting more drugs in my body but could get things moving/healing in a health non-chemical way!

Have a great day!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your post and suggestions, Mizzah. I will look into the Emotional freedom techniques. It sounds a little different. I have read several books on alternative and blended medicine and know herbal treatments work well for some people. I have also tried the deep breathing techniques for relaxation. My girlfriend gave me a book with yoga exercises for mind and body and 4 CDs. I did not do too well with the breathing exercises, probably because of my breathing difficulties. I can breathe better now so perhaps I should try again. I hope other doctors' don't consider the HIDA scan worthless. I plan on asking my doctor to send me for one. I hope it's not the only test for determining how well the gallbladder functions.

Have a good day and take care!

flowergirl

Closed Thread