It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder attack - waiting for an appt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User
    Gallbladder attack - waiting for an appt

I was told Monday, after a HIDA scan, that I have a nonfunctioning gallbladder (0%). I was told I had Crohn's two years ago and was well for a year, then started having flareups on and off the past year. My gallbladder was never tested before. I have lots of symptoms which point to crohn's but also cramping attacks which I had no idea were gallbladder because they are not right sided. It's all left/central!

I had an attack Saturday night, which lasted 30 mins or so. I had the test the following Monday which caused a mild attack. I haven't eaten much since Saturday out of fear and not feeling well in general, but last night I decided that Thanksgiving food on the table looked too good and I stupidly ate some. I thought it might hurt a little but I had no idea what I was going to be in for.

This is the worst attack I've had in a very long time. Severe cramping on and off and finally diarrhea (I rarely get diarrhea). This lasted until 2am, when I was finally able to fall asleep and was woken on and off from short, sharp pains on my right side (I don't know that I've ever had that pain there before). At one point during the cramping I felt and heard a rush go though my intestines. I thought for a second something had burst but then realized I felt better. I am guessing something was stuck and finally broke through.

I wonder if the test with the hormone (cck) aggravated something. I was off all day Monday and most of Tuesday after the test with sharp pains and just a gross feeling. I got some pain meds (Lortab) Wednesday which helped a ton but weren't much help with the attack last night.

I've never gone to the ER with these attacks because I know they pass eventually and I have always had a fear of being told nothing is wrong with me so I rarely see a doctor because I convince myself it's in my head. Last night I wondered if I should go. I have an appt on Monday to talk to a surgeon and I'd like to wait for her to take care of this for me. I'm afraid the ER will butcher me.

Does anyone know if it's OK to ride through these attacks? I don't ever get more than 2 a month so I am concerned about having 3 in one week. I also think there is some sort of blockage going on and it's not all gallbladder related. I've been having symptoms for months not typical of gallbladder and my biggest concern is the very small stools I produce (quarter size or smaller). I often feel constipated but I got little amounts all day long. Before the gallbladder was detected they thought it was my Crohn's or Ulcerated colitis inflammation causing things to narrow but became dismissive with me once they saw my gallbladder wasn't functioning. They will repeat a colonoscopy after the gallbladder removal (it's been two years since my last).

I'm just so frustrated and a little scared. I guess I will go back to eating little to no food until I get this taken care of. It's hard for me to believe that I've had this problem for years and just this week it seems suddenly urgent. I know most people go to the ER with this pain but again, I've always been afraid I was overreacting. I've had these bouts for years and years and just thought it was a normal virus issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder attack - waiting for an appt

You can eat - just NO FAT. And I mean that emphatically! No butter, milk, cheese, spicey food, fried food, fatty foods (burgers, brats, sausages, etc)etc. Plain veggies (green ones, potatoes, etc), baked chicken, turkey (all white meat of course), fish, fat free dressing on salads, etc. That should get you thru till they can take it out.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Thanks Titchou. I suppose I knew that, but up until they said "gallbladder" I associated all food with pain. It's hard to adjust my thinking. I do have a fear of food for sure! I haven't felt well in two months, not just the cramping but constantly sick feeling. I also just feel like whining Thanks for listening.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
    marnb77
    (female)

marnb77 HB User

zoe-
    you have to get that gallbladder out. Trust me when I say, It was the best thing I've ever done for myself.
    I had huge stones in mine and waited 2 years before having the surgery because I was so scared. Now I want to kick myself for waiting that long. My gb made my life miserable, and I was so sick and tired of not being able to eat the things I wanted and having to limit myself to bland foods. It was literally controlling my life. I think having yours out will make a world of difference. I had the worst attacks and like you, didn't want to have to go to the er either. Unfortunately, a couple attacks got so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the er for morphine.
    Gb attacks aren't always right sided pain, they can be on the left side, in the middle, cause nausea, chills, etc. And since you flunked the hida at 0 I would say it's time.
    Hope I helped a little. Let us know when you get an appt and if you have any other questions. I just had this surgery, so everything is very fresh in my mind.

Closed Thread