It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Update gallbladder pain problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Update gallbladder pain problems

Update:
    My doctor's office called me and said the report from the gallbladder scan came back NORMAL. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes. I told her that it has to be my gallbladder becuase I am still having pain and last night I accidentally ate some banana pudding (homemade) and 2 hours later got indigestion and pain under my lower ribs on my right side.

I hate to even ask this or consider this but do you guys think it is possible that do to the high amount of stress of my girlfriend leaving me, dealing with the pain of 2 root canals, going through 2 root canals, having complications from them, dealing with taking care of a dog, and trying to stay clean. Do you guys think it is possible that this pain is psychosomatic meaning that my head has created this pain in my body as a reaction to all this stress and me being unable to cope with it? I have to consider it even though I hate to. Or maybe my addiction is creating this pain in order for me to get the Lortabs even though I never abused opiates. I am at my wits ends and could use ALOT OF SUPPORT AND PRAYER. Any comments welcome and I promise not to get mad or judge. The only other thing that I can think of is this pain seems to have happened around the time my fentanyl patch was increased and I started having difficulty in being able to urinate. I have to strain and concentrate a bit. Maybe I strained a muscle in there???

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 01-02-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User
    Re: Update gallbladder pain problems

I am not sure about the patch and all that, but if you are having trouble peepeeing, I'd call a doc...that can't be good.

Are you having pain between your shoulder blades?

Let me tell you this...I had every Gallbladder test known to man. They all came back negative. Finally after a bit over a year, I called the doctor to say something had to be done...something was not right. He told me that "in the old days before all this fancy-smancy technology" if a paitent presented with my symtoms they took out the gallbladder. So he scheduled me for lap. surgery and I ended up in the hospital for several days because my gallbladder was so bad they were scared to send me home on oral antibiotics. So, the moral of the story is all those "fancy smancy" tests can be dead wrong.

As to what is causing your pain, I don't know. Stress can do strange things to the body, that is for sure. But the pain you are having does sound familiar...and even more so if it is betweent the shoulder blades as well.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Brian, all of my tests came back negative and my surgeon ordered some test where they injected this fatty substance into my arm that apparently went into the blood stream and I went into an attack. The tech said yep you definitely have a bad gall bladder. It was so bad that they ended up having to give me a pain injection to calm things down. My gall bladders was taken out the following week and my surgeon said that it was a mess despite not showing up on tests.

So I would definitely talk to the doctor and tell him that you are in alot of piain and need to find out what the problem is then.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Brian - I honestly believe that we can talk ourselves into just about anything!! Having said that, I still think that you have an honest-to-goodness gallbladder problem that will most likely resolve after surgery!! Your symptoms and the predictability of pain within hours of eating high fat foods sounds like classic gallbladder disease. I'm sure you've already heard this before but: if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck....well....it's probably a DUCK!! There are just too many other folks out there who have confirmed the fact that their personal experiences have included negative gallbladder scans and tests, yet on the operating table the surgeons have found diseased gallbladders...without stones! What are they now suggesting that you do? If I were in your position and your current doc feels like he's taken you as far as he can and won't do an exploratory laparoscopy, I'd move on to another surgeon who will!! Let's face it - it's awfully hard to find a REAL surgeon who doesn't keep his pocket knife at the ready my dear!!! There has to be someone out there who has decent credentials and is willing to take a look. Please keep seeking an answer. As far as the urination problem - it can be very common for folks who take narcotic pain meds to find it hard to urinate...to initiate the stream and to empty the bladder completely. I think this has something to do with the narcotics somewhat blocking the normal feelings of having a need to urinate. I think the bladder kind of "falls asleep" so to speak. I know that when I am on narcotic meds (which is always now) I have to really concentrate on turning on my internal plumbing. Where before pain meds I could have a seat and be done within a minute or so, now I need to sit and really wait it out sometimes. But if you think it's extraordinarily restricted, I think you should see a urologist. Addressing your concerns about your mind playing tricks on you where the need for pain meds is involved.....I guess someone with a past history of true drug addiction could convince themselves that their pain is severe enough to need narcotics, I also think that you are too in touch with your motivations for that to be happening at this time. Certainly you could be exagerating your need for pain meds to ease the guilt of taking them, but again....I just don't think this is your reality...but only you know for sure. It sounds like you are under-medicated and perhaps on the wrong medication for your particular needs. Just upping the methadone would probably increase your sleepiness and feelings of a zombie-like existence. I'd agree with everyone else that a different medication might work better for you. Then again....if you can have the surgery to remove the gb, you will probably no longer need long-term pain meds. Please know that I'm thinking of you friend and will say a prayer. Memere (K'Mac) P.S.: I go to my dentist next week to have my cap inserted over my severely reduced back molar and can relate to your recent and ongoing dental problems. If there is one pain that I absolutely can't deal with it's dental pain!!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Memere View Post
    It sounds like you are under-medicated and perhaps on the wrong medication for your particular needs. Just upping the methadone would probably increase your sleepiness and feelings of a zombie-like existence. I'd agree with everyone else that a different medication might work better for you. Then again....if you can have the surgery to remove the gb, you will probably no longer need long-term pain meds. Please know that I'm thinking of you friend and will say a prayer. Memere (K'Mac) P.S.: I go to my dentist next week to have my cap inserted over my severely reduced back molar and can relate to your recent and ongoing dental problems. If there is one pain that I absolutely can't deal with it's dental pain!!
    Memere: I believe this should have been directed to Zach's message here on this board. Just so you know my gallbladder is not reason that I am on long term pain meds, it is the permanent nerve damage in my feet. I have come to the realization that I will need meds long term for that. But, hopefully after something definite is figured out about my gallbladder I won't need the Lortabs. I believe that my pain is real and I just don't really like the way the Lortabs make me feel. I did get a little bit of the euphoric feeling so I need to be real careful but I am NOT abusing them (only taking 3/day right now). I am glad you care.

Brian

Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Brian, I've seen both ends of the spectrum, With my own broken harware that wasn't picked up by a radiolopgist or the GP, but I saw it and the surgeon saw it. Same thing with kidney sones, Kinda hard to say they aren't there when your peeing blood and gravel, but gravel doesn't show up on every test.

I've also seen the mind body connection, Two of my docs patients both made amazing recoveries and got off meds completely when they divorced and left a bad relationship. One was being treated for migraines which were very real, but the cause was the relationsip. The other had spent thousands on dental work, splints, surgery to relive TMJ problems that miraculously got better once they got out of their relationships and both patients got off the meds.

Keep your tools to manage your addiction hone. If you need to reed every addiction post on the addiction forum to keep yourself in check, do that. If meetings help do that, whatever works for you. An addict knows when they are lying to themself, but the mind body conection is certainly real. I have major SSD problems right now and of course my back is in knots.

Do I think you will feel better and could avoid a med increase during major problems on the home front, of course. If this is a life long problem that needs an increase, the increase will be available when you find something or someone else to occupy your time and things settle down. If life is going good aside from the pain, you won't have any question. If you know you need to fix some things or find resolution, of course the stress is going to make you feel worse.

Pain isn't black and white and how we cope with it is the difference between crossing the line and not. If we have no other tools to cope with any kind of pain, the pills are the closest and easiest choice.

Good luck, Dave

Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
    BabyOwensMama
    (female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    Update:
    My doctor's office called me and said the report from the gallbladder scan came back NORMAL. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes. I told her that it has to be my gallbladder becuase I am still having pain and last night I accidentally ate some banana pudding (homemade) and 2 hours later got indigestion and pain under my lower ribs on my right side.

I hate to even ask this or consider this but do you guys think it is possible that do to the high amount of stress of my girlfriend leaving me, dealing with the pain of 2 root canals, going through 2 root canals, having complications from them, dealing with taking care of a dog, and trying to stay clean. Do you guys think it is possible that this pain is psychosomatic meaning that my head has created this pain in my body as a reaction to all this stress and me being unable to cope with it? I have to consider it even though I hate to. Or maybe my addiction is creating this pain in order for me to get the Lortabs even though I never abused opiates. I am at my wits ends and could use ALOT OF SUPPORT AND PRAYER. Any comments welcome and I promise not to get mad or judge. The only other thing that I can think of is this pain seems to have happened around the time my fentanyl patch was increased and I started having difficulty in being able to urinate. I have to strain and concentrate a bit. Maybe I strained a muscle in there???

Brian

C'mon now..how do you "accidentally" eat some pudding?? Banana pudding..mMMM. I am just teasing you.

I remember you saying that during your HIDA scan you were having pain when they gave you the med that makes your gallbladder dance. I think that right there shows there is something going on. Just the stories on here are enough to convince me test's can miss things. You're stressing yourself out more worrying if all the stress your under is making this all in your head. Stop that! Get a second opinion and/or consult a surgeon. I for one don't think for one second this is in your head and I think the whole gallbladder theory is on the right track. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    Update:
    ...I hate to even ask this or consider this but do you guys think it is possible that do to the high amount of stress of my girlfriend leaving me, dealing with the pain of 2 root canals, going through 2 root canals, having complications from them, dealing with taking care of a dog, and trying to stay clean. Do you guys think it is possible that this pain is psychosomatic meaning that my head has created this pain in my body as a reaction to all this stress and me being unable to cope with it? I have to consider it even though I hate to. Or maybe my addiction is creating this pain in order for me to get the Lortabs even though I never abused opiates...

Brian
    Brian,

I've learned that pretty much anything is possible.

I do believe that the relationship issues can cause serious pain. When my first wife left me back in '81 I wound up in the ER with terrible abdominal pain. They shot me up with demerol and all was well. The doc even diagnosed the incident as stress. About the addiction issue - only you know if the euphoric feeling you get from the Lortabs is presenting problems for you.

But I go back to the "fatty meal" test you had when your gall bladder contracted - that was not psychosomatic. Period. I really hope your story isn't like mine, and so many others here, that you have to go through years of inconclusive tests before they nail your gall bladder to the wall. My mom went 20 years with gall bladder attacks, and I went 5 years before a diagnosis. We both had tests after tests with nothing showing up.

One thing is bothering me though - when I was suffering with my diseased gall bladder the pain was either "off" or "on." I was either having an attack or I was fine. I could definitely feel when an attack was coming because I could feel an almost mechanical click in my upper right gut and then I knew that in about 5 minutes I'd be rolling on the floor screaming in pain. The attacks would last anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours. The ER was the only solution. But even massive doses of narcotics were useless until the attack passed. There was no lesser "in-between" pain that would have responded to something as minor as Lortab(s). That doesn't lead me to question your experience at all, but I can't figure out how the Lortab is helping. This is just me thinking out loud Brian. I'm not trying to imply anything at all. I'm just taking all the info you've provided and trying to make sense out of things, and this is the only area that leaves me wondering.

Whatever happens, whatever the causes are, I sure hope you get relief soon. You've been through enough lately.

Best Wishes

steve

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hi Brian.

I don't think there's any question that you're dealing w/a high amt of stress right now, but I also think there is something wrong w/your gallbladder. What kind of doctor sent you for your last gallbladder scan? A surgeon? If so, is she cutting you loose or is she going to move forward, did she say when she called yesterday? Either way, I definately think that you should pursue this issue further.

Do you currently talk to a therapist? If not, maybe you would benefit from talking to one, someone that doesn't know you and wouldn't judge you like your friends and family might. I always feel better talking to someone "outside" the situation that can give me a fresh perspective.

Good luck. I wish you only the best.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User

Brian...I'm so sorry you're having these problems!! Let me agree 100% with HappyFlower and say that those tests do not mean your gall bladder isn't bad!!!! I had ultrasounds and a HIDA scan...both normal, and finally, he just decided to take it out. Good thing he did!! It was filled with "sludge" and was not working well at all!! I had great relief afterward...other than the fact that I had chronic diarrhea and lost about 40 pounds!

The fact that you are conscious about your Lortab usage is a great sign that you are being responsible, in my opinion. When you hurt, you hurt....no matter what the reason.

I'll be praying for you. Be careful with the Lortab...I take them daily, too, and even though I am not increasing my dosage, I worry about it being so habit-forming.

We'll get through this pain journey together!!

Closed Thread