It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder surgery after affects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User
    Unhappy Gallbladder surgery after affects

I had my gallbladder out 3 days ago and was not told what some common problems would be after the surgery. I have been having an upset stomch after almost everything I eat or drink(coffee,water,juices) and I am just wondering if anyone else has had this and if and when it will go away. It feels like butterflies in my stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
    Jones0323
    (female)

Jones0323 HB User
    Re: Gallbladder surgery after affects

You will have this for months to come. Some ppl are different and it dont last as long then others. But I had mine done almost 2 yrs ago and I still get that way. I will tell you that AD pills will become your best friend. I also used Gas X alot to help with some of the pain. I also learned that If I would eat a bunch of small meals it helped with that problem. I know it sucks to make sure you are within feet from a restroom right after you eat or drink anything.

Good Luck, it dont get much better for sometime.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User

Thank you for answering me so quickly. I don't want to sound silly or anything but what are AD pills?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
    Jones0323
    (female)

Jones0323 HB User

Anti Diarrhea, I would take 2 a day sometimes more. If not I would be in the restroom after eating or drinking anything. Also, try to stay away from fried foods it will just make it worst.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Most people do not hav that problem after removal. The upset stomach is mostly likely from the anesthesia and the pain meds. It should subside soon. You should be on a fat free diet for about a month. Then slowly introduce fats back into your diet. Your gb has bene removed and only a small bile duct is left to take over its work. It taked time for it to kick in and work properly. If you eat much fat during this early period, it will not have time to learn to work and you will have problems for a long time.

You can find more info on the Digestive Diseases thread as that is where most gb issues are posted.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder surgery after affects

Thank you for helping me figure this all out. I will check out the Digestive Diseases thread. I was not sure how the message boards worked as this is the first one I've tried. If anyone else has any ideas on how to deal with the first few days or weeks after surgery I would appreciate it.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User

I was just wondering if anyone else ended up having shoulder pains after surgery. I started noticing shoulder pain a few hours ago and I also noticed I had a long black and blue mark on my right shoulder. What do they do to you while you are having your surgery that you come out with that?

Last edited by halfpint1124; 02-18-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They sure didn't tell you anything, did they? The pain is from the gas they used to inflate your abdomen. Most surgeons don't manage to get it all expelled before they close you up so it has to dissipate on its own. You could have shoulder/back pain for up to a week from this. Walk as much as you can as that will help with this problem. Not sure about the bruise but it could have been from moving you or maybe repositioning you while you were out and inflate

Last edited by Titchou; 02-18-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User

Thanks for writing. No, they didnt say much past "you need your gallbladder out". I've found more information on here and other sites than I ever did from the doctor. I appreciate all your help.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
    Soibhan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soibhan HB User

I had my gall bladder removed in the old-fashioned way--I was sliced open and they took it out. I had stones caught in the duct and was in a lot of pain. I think everyone is being an alarmist here. I know this is a very tough surgery and you can't expect a speedy recovery. However, my advice would be to take your pain pills, eat lightly, introduce fats slowly, and eat some yogurt daily if you possibly are able. While your recovery may be slow, it will be constant and you'll feel better before long. I also had a bit of trouble with fatty foods for several months after my surgery--just be smart about it. Now I can eat whatever I want and it doesn't give me any trouble at all. I feel better than I ever have in my life. Best of luck to you!!!
    Soibhan

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
    LORILOVE
    (female)

LORILOVE HB User

For the shoulder pain I highly recommend a heating pad. When I came out of surgery that was the first thing I noticed and the recovery room nurse was all ready with the pad.

Beware - I think I a now addicted to the heating pad in general and I am 5 weeks post surgery

Lori

Last edited by LORILOVE; 02-19-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
    halfpint1124
    (female)

halfpint1124 HB User

Thank you for all the replies to my problem. If anyone else has any more ideas or suggestions please write me. I am getting better by the day and I am doing the things that were recommended to me. Thanks again.

Closed Thread