It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder problems - could someone help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User
    Re: Gallbladder problems - could someone help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eihcet View Post
    I haven't tried the GB Flushes because I'm a little worried about making it worse. I did have an ultrasound and there weren't any big stones that might get caught somewhere so I suppose it would be OK. I haven't had a bad enough period that I wanted to risk making it worse to get better. Instead I just try and eat those foods regularly (Beets, Apples, EVOO). The only one I haven't tried is the epsom salts and again, since I haven't had a bad spell I don't think I need to try that one yet.

I had the Gastric Emptying done today... but... The place I was scheduled to go to said my appt was cancelled when I got there. They told me my doctors office cancelled it. Ended up getting on the phone and my Doctors officed denied it, but the place had a fax with the word cancelled at the top so someone made a mistake. In the end, my doctors office was able to get me an appt elsewhere, 4hrs later, but I could have done without the extra stress. After all that, it was an easy test, just ate a cooked eggwhite on toast and some OJ and then took 5 pictures under an x-ray machine over the course of 90minutes. Now to wait for the results.
    Hi sorry haven't written but have had a bad few days! Have you got your results back from the gastric emptying yet then? What does that test look for and why did you specifically have this done? These doctors just see so many people we are just on a conveyer belt heh - they don't seem to worry about our feelings or the stress that they are causing us!

When you say you eat beets is that beetroot? Is that cooked or liquidized? I found that Aloe Vera Juice helps a bad attack.

I have just had nausea and severe tiredness for the last few days which has made me feel rubbish really. I know I wasn't watching what I ate again and I had a few glasses of wine but life is sooo boring otherwise. Anyway tonight I have just had a bowl of soup and a camomile tea so and feel fine.

Anyway I have just over a week to wait to see the consultant and I am ready for hi, I have just written a letter to him detailing everything as I am sure they don't listen half the time! Watch this space!

Claire

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder problems - could someone help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikkilewis View Post
    Yeah, the pain in the back is the worst. I'm 4 days post-op, and did something really stupid and ate a piece of pizza (pepperoni and cheese) tonight. It was not a huge piece, and I thought I'd gotten away with it. But I've now got some pain in my back, and indigestion, just like before, only not as bad. I'm worried now b/c I'm thinking that the surgery wasn't a total success. I wonder if I should just stick with the lowfat/no-fat diet for a few weeks (as has been suggested by everyone). I just couldn't resist having a slice of pizza! I've been living off of very bland foods for 2 months, so I'm sure that pizza was a shock to my system. I'm hoping that my body will adjust to having no gall bladder (at least I HOPE it will). I just want to feel normal again. I'm not a happy camper right now, needless to say. But at least the pain and discomfort isn't on the same level that it was prior to surgery. It's still enough to annoy the crap out of me tho.

On a positive note, I didn't get any diarrhea.
    I think I have spoken to a few people and they have said you have to watch what you eat for quite some time but again I understand how boring it is and unsociable but good times should be ahead for you. My nan had her gallbladder out and I know in time she was onto cream cakes and big roast dinners so I am sure that in time yours will heal, your body has to adjust now as you have been through major surgery. Two positive things for you though are that the pain wasn't as bad and no diarrhea so at least something is happening!

I have felt rubbish over the last two/three days just ate too much and had nausea and diarrhea but this pattern becomes so normal that you sort of get used to it wearing off and then you perhaps try a little something you shouldn't have and it all comes back again!

I am seeing my consultant next week and am really prepared and hoping he will listen to me this time. How long did all this go on for you again? Also did you get hyperglycemic attacks ever? I get them bad.

Hope you are feeling better soon and remember little and often for food.

Claire

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
    nikkilewis
    (female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkeddy View Post
    I think I have spoken to a few people and they have said you have to watch what you eat for quite some time but again I understand how boring it is and unsociable but good times should be ahead for you. My nan had her gallbladder out and I know in time she was onto cream cakes and big roast dinners so I am sure that in time yours will heal, your body has to adjust now as you have been through major surgery. Two positive things for you though are that the pain wasn't as bad and no diarrhea so at least something is happening!

I have felt rubbish over the last two/three days just ate too much and had nausea and diarrhea but this pattern becomes so normal that you sort of get used to it wearing off and then you perhaps try a little something you shouldn't have and it all comes back again!

I am seeing my consultant next week and am really prepared and hoping he will listen to me this time. How long did all this go on for you again? Also did you get hyperglycemic attacks ever? I get them bad.

Hope you are feeling better soon and remember little and often for food.

Claire
    What is a hyperglycemic attack?

Everything I hear about watching what you eat has to do (it seems) with getting diarrhea after surgery. Alot of people say that if they eat a fatty meal after GB removal, they have to be near a bathroom b/c it runs right thru them. I'd rather have that problem than my typical GB attack symptoms (pain in my back and severe indigestion).

I only had my GB out last tuesday, so I'm one week post-op today. I'm still very early in the recovery stage. I imagine my body has lots of adjusting to do, but still, I was counting more on diarrhea, and not on those awful back pains!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #19
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikkilewis View Post
    What is a hyperglycemic attack?

Everything I hear about watching what you eat has to do (it seems) with getting diarrhea after surgery. Alot of people say that if they eat a fatty meal after GB removal, they have to be near a bathroom b/c it runs right thru them. I'd rather have that problem than my typical GB attack symptoms (pain in my back and severe indigestion).

I only had my GB out last tuesday, so I'm one week post-op today. I'm still very early in the recovery stage. I imagine my body has lots of adjusting to do, but still, I was counting more on diarrhea, and not on those awful back pains!

Hi how are you feeling? Any better? I have my consultation tomorrow! I have been noticing lots of things this weekend with what I eat and it is definately all fat related. Was yours originally like this? Hypoglycemic I meant to say is to with Sugar in your body - u know when you get the shakes and just have to eat? Mine are extreme to the point of fainting!

Speak soon Claire

Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
    fortunesfool21
    (female)

fortunesfool21 HB User

I was diag. with a poorly functioning gallbladder with no stones about a year and a half ago. After having a few attacks I had gone to the dr, he did a HIDA scan which showed at the time my gallbladder was functioning at 21%.

At the surgical consulation my surgeon told me that this sort of ejection fraction was that of a woman appox 3 times my age, and that it will FOR SURE get worse over time. I had at this point only had 2 attacks and decided to hold off on surgery.

I was having "attacks" about once every 2 months for the first 6 months. In the in between I would feel just kinda sluggish and a dull ache on my left side, and slight queasiness. This could also be due to the fact that I was diagonsed with GERD, mild Gastritis and a hiatial hernia, or so I thought.

After 5 months of no attacks, and slightly changing my diet to cut some junk out, I had a horrendous attack this weekend.

I was on a 4th of July weekend getaway with my boyfriend and my family. We ate out most breakfasts (hello bacon and sausage and eggs), I was feeling fine all day Thursday and Friday and most of the day Saturday.

Finallly on Saturday I started feeling an attack coming on around 3:30. My back and abdomen started that all familar burning sensation. By 4pm I was stuck in bed, not able to lay anyway without having intense pain. I started a fever, and the pain was constant. I took a Vicodan which my father takes for chronic back pain, around 5 it did not take the edge off at all. At this point I was at about an 8 on a 1-10 scale.

I tried taking a hot bath and shower, that seemed to help a bit but the pain was still there and the queasiness did not let up. I took a Pepsid AC, to help the burning and tried to drink a little water and eat a cracker or 2. Finally after my boyfreind rubbed my back for about an hour or so, I finally got sick and threw up mostly bile. The pain did not subside.

I took another Vicodan around 9, and it wasnt till close to 11 that I felt like the pain had gone down to about an 7 and I was able to fall asleep exhausted from pain meds and pain in general.

Now since then Ive had constant discomfort on my side and back. I couldnt even sleep on my right side last night. Its not pain for the most part, but discomfort. Taking a deep breath pains my right side and it almost feels like a constant bruise or bloating.

This final attack completly changed my mind on the opperation. I made an appointment with my suregon and am getting in today for a consulation.

I figure I can deal with possible complications but I can not deal with that pain again, even if its once a year, Id rather never have it again!

I wish everyone luck who's posting on these threads looking for some sort of relief.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User

Sounds like you have had a bad time of it. When you get abdomen pains are they central or to the side at all? And is it on your right side? I, the same as you have moderated my diet and can always tell if I eat a slight bit of the wrong thing as my back pain starts to nag and then if I eat too much of the wrong thing I would have attacks that last for some time and are quite severe. The back pain can last for over a week though and this I cannot understand?!

Anyway I went to see a new consultant today and he was looking at my case with fresh eyes and they are sending me on a CAT Scan as they do not do HIDA scans here in the UK as he said they are not as acurate??? At least I will get to know if the other organs in my body are ok I suppose but will this show up a discfuntioning gallbladder??? He said that my bloodwork did not suggest this anyway?

Let us know how your consultation goes and whether you are opting for surgery.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
    AlanPi
    (male)

AlanPi HB User

Thanks fortunesfool21 this is very useful information. I too have a 7% gallbladder with no stones. In fact I just turned down my surgeon's surgery date yesterday because I requested a MRCP, but he says insurance won't cover that and it would be unnecessary because of the HIDA scan.

I don't have "attacks" per se, but rather get diabetic like symptoms and very slight back spinal pain. The spinal pain is in the mid-section and hurts mildly for a few seconds then goes away. There are some mal-nutrition related fatigues also, I believe. I have had the symptoms for 5 years now, and was just now diagnosed with the gallbladder problem.

My surgeon also said the situation will not improve, and many patients end up coming back anyway. Apparently that has happened to you. I just hope that delaying it if possible is the right thing to do, with no long term complications.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by AlanPi; 07-08-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #23
    fortunesfool21
    (female)

fortunesfool21 HB User

Pinkeddy....My pain is always located right center of my abdomen and radiates accross most of my entire back.

AlanPi...what other types of symptoms are you having?

I know for sure for myself at least, if I didnt have the bad attacks a few times a year, I wouldnt even concider the surgery. I literally got scared into it with this last attack.

My dr and surgeon both have told me that things will never get better and only get worst with time. Especially since Im female, child bearing age, on birthcontrol pill etc.

My appointment with the surgeon was a short one. Im talking literally 10 minutes haha. He asked me what made me finally decide. I told him about my most recent episode and told him how I was still really sore and bloated.

He told me he thought I would do just fine with the surgery and that in his opinon 90% of people will have success and be happy they had the procedure. 60% right off the bat and the other 30% over a period of a year after surgery. 10% of people will see no relief and thier lives will be compromised in some ways by it.

I agreed on the surgery and its scheduled for the 30th. He wanted to do it this week, but I have things going on next week and couldnt do it.

All in all its hard for me now that I have it scheduled to NOT get nervous about the "what ifs"

The entire day Ive just been reading about the possible problems that can come of the surgery. Im SUPER nervous about being one of the people with chronic diarerreha. Im also REALLY nervous about having to cut a lot out of my diet. I LOVE spicy foods and honestly it makes me sad to think theres a possiblility that Ill have to cut those....I like to have some drinks over the weekend and I dont want to cut that out , amungst so many other things.

I know the chances arent great of having issues after the surgery...but still...its something very much on my mind tonight.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
    AlanPi
    (male)

AlanPi HB User

Your doctor is right on the spot regarding the possible outcome percentages. Apparently stay in a low fat diet is essential after surgery, so your body will have time to adjust. You will have to eat healthy anyway having gallbladder or not. The diarrhea can be treated with medication and put under control.

I love spicy and fried and greasy food as well! They just don't love us back!

My symptoms are no gallbladder pain, no nausea, fatigue & irritable, (wake up a night with thirst, frequent urination after lunch - diabetic symptoms), occasional back pain, often loose stool, diarrhea, steatorrhea.

I discovered my gallbladder not functioning incidentally, other than fatigue it may not be my main problem at all. Other possibilities for me are pre-diabetes and celiac sprue.

I am seeing yet another Gastro Doc for a 2nd opinion. If he/she says take it out, then I will.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #25
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fortunesfool21 View Post
    Pinkeddy....My pain is always located right center of my abdomen and radiates accross most of my entire back.

AlanPi...what other types of symptoms are you having?

I know for sure for myself at least, if I didnt have the bad attacks a few times a year, I wouldnt even concider the surgery. I literally got scared into it with this last attack.

My dr and surgeon both have told me that things will never get better and only get worst with time. Especially since Im female, child bearing age, on birthcontrol pill etc.

My appointment with the surgeon was a short one. Im talking literally 10 minutes haha. He asked me what made me finally decide. I told him about my most recent episode and told him how I was still really sore and bloated.

He told me he thought I would do just fine with the surgery and that in his opinon 90% of people will have success and be happy they had the procedure. 60% right off the bat and the other 30% over a period of a year after surgery. 10% of people will see no relief and thier lives will be compromised in some ways by it.

I agreed on the surgery and its scheduled for the 30th. He wanted to do it this week, but I have things going on next week and couldnt do it.

All in all its hard for me now that I have it scheduled to NOT get nervous about the "what ifs"

The entire day Ive just been reading about the possible problems that can come of the surgery. Im SUPER nervous about being one of the people with chronic diarerreha. Im also REALLY nervous about having to cut a lot out of my diet. I LOVE spicy foods and honestly it makes me sad to think theres a possiblility that Ill have to cut those....I like to have some drinks over the weekend and I dont want to cut that out , amungst so many other things.

I know the chances arent great of having issues after the surgery...but still...its something very much on my mind tonight.

Hi there how are you feeling? Please don't be anxious about your surgery as there is a huge possibility of it turning your life around. In a way it will sort of force you to be healthier as you are now I suppose. I really sympathise with you as I like all those foods too and life seems so boring without them! But once everything is healed you can still have the odd drink and treat. I know a few people that have had there gallbladders removed via emergency surgery and they seem to go back to pretty much normal living after recoverying, apart from overdoing it on the fat so I am sure you can find a low fat version of things you like. Also they never had chronic diarrhea, I think that the surgeons have to make you aware of this but I understand totally why it is on your mind and as Alan said you can take medicine to control this.

Think of the op as something positive as you know you don't want things to get worse. TRy not go on the internet too much as there is equal amounts of negative stuff as positive. Good luck with it all anyway.

Claire

Old 07-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #26
    pinkeddy
    (female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hello not sure if anyone can help but on top of other symptoms I have a new pain which is towards the left of my sternam. It is an awful pain and again radiates right to my back - it seems to be very sharp and quick and is relieved by a power burp or a strange sounding burp. Can this be gallbladder related?

Had a CT scan today with the dye injected so hopefully something will shop up on the gallbladder. Anyone had a CT scan which showed gallstones?

Thanks Claire

Closed Thread