It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Don't you need a gall bladder? Feeling clueless

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User
    Don't you need a gall bladder? Feeling clueless

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm still a little numb and feeling clueless.

I was just referred to a surgeon because of my HIDA scan results. No details, just call Dr. X.... When I called back, they couldn't give me any details about my hida scan results. I saw posts that talked about % but I don't know mine.

(I'm ticked off that I've only been talking to nurses throughout all this testing, and I'm going to start looking for a new primary care physician if they can't get me in right away to talk to the doctor. I've been on hold for 5-10 minutes already.)

I don't have pain in my gall bladder area (but I have a LOT of lower abd. pain.) and I'd kind of like to keep all my organs, unless there's a good reason to give one up. The ultrasound didn't show any stones.

So, my first question is: Don't you need a gall bladder? What do you do without it?

Also...

What questions should I ask my primary doctor or the surgeon before I agree to surgery?

Does anyone else with Gall Bladder problems get LOWER abdominal pain? Could it be referred pain? Or should I get that checked out before I go under the knife for something else ?

Is there a good medical site that has good information on this subject? E.g. Risks of surgery vs risks of doing nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User
    Re: Don't you need a gall bladder? Feeling clueless

You don't need your gallbladder, but it is helpful. That said, I had lower abdominal pain, they couldn't find a reason for it. I finally had a HIDA scan (showing my gb not functiong - 0% EF) and said it was referred pain and removed it.

You are already doing better than I did, I shouted "hoorah" and let them take it... I've been worse ever since. All the same symptoms as before, with some new ones and everything is intensified (pain, nausea, etc). I wish I read all the posts from people without stones before agreeing for removal. I believed them when they told me it was referred pain, but I think it was just a guess.

I would see a gastroenterologist, not a PCP for this problem. I wouldn't let anyone remove it without telling me my HIDA results either. If you can wait a while longer while you investigate it, I would. Of course many people do have their GBs removed with no problems, but lots without stones do seem to have some issues. It really is a gamble, so investigate as much as possible before surgery.

Good luck to you, I hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User

Thanks for your reply. I hope you get some relief soon. Have you discussed it with your GYN too? I had an ovarian cyst that caused me pain a few years ago, and it improved after the surgery.

I managed to get in to see my doctor today (it was his colleague who kept scheduling all these tests through his nurse). He said the HIDA scan showed Biliary Dyskinesia (sp?) or as he puts it, a "stupid" gallbladder, that forgets when to contract (or something like that).

And, just as you suggested, he's sending me to a gastroenterologist. I'm overdue for a colonoscopy and I think my intestinal pain is 10 times worse than anything higher up. He said a good gall bladder surgeon would want all those tests done first anyway.

He also wants me to visit my GYN to check on my remaining ovary.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User

I just did a search and found a research article. It said that about 30% of people with biliary dyskinesia still have symptoms after gall bladder surgery.

This "Referred pain" issue seems to be a real problem for a lot of people. It's a wonder anyone gets diagnosed accurately.

Closed Thread