It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
    TKC
    (female)

TKC HB User
    Gallbladder Problems

I just got my biliary scan w/CCK back and the ejection was 9.2% (normal is 30% and up). My ultrasound also said I have a physiologically distended gallbladder. No major stones seen but either mini stones or polyps.

To me, this sounds like surgery. I have aches (not colic yet) and nausea everyday.

Has anyone had their GB out with success. I read about horror stories, but I know there are many who have had relief.

Would love to hear from you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder Problems

Glad mine is gone! No serious side effects....just eat low,low fat for a few weeks after having it out.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
    Madalot
    (female)

Madalot HB User

I had mine out in February. Everything went well and I'm glad it is done. Just do like PP said -- eat non/low fat for several weeks afterwards.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My wife had her GB removed at 9:30pm on 11/16/2006 and was released from the Hospital the next time the Doctor made calls at 3:30 pm the next day and was sent home.

She even fixed soup and Jello at home and I never had to wait on her. She ate a light diet w/o fatty foods for several weeks and has never had a problem with recovery since surgery.

Not everybody has problems with gallbladder surgery.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-03-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typos

Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
    michelechen1968
    (female)

michelechen1968 HB User

I had mine out two weeks ago tomorrow. Was in post-op for maybe an hour then went home. I was hurting for about a week, especially when i had to cough or laugh. I am fine now and glad I had it done. I am still tired at the end of the day, especially since I have been back to work a week already. Go ahead and get that thing out and enjoy!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
    thompeg
    (female)

thompeg HB User

I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago.

I had suffered one very painful 'attack' (intravenous morphine required for pain), and even though subsequent Scan showed the stones were only few and small in size,it seems that it is not so much the size that matters but whether they move around or not!!!

I thought very hard before deciding on gb removal-----I truly wanted to go on a low -fat diet and hope all would be fine forever. I too had read horror stories !! But I read far more stories about damage to pancreas...and death !

I had the op (laproscopy) on a Wednesday pm and was sent home on Friday. That is normal timing for here in the UK I believe.I have heard that in the USA patients are often sent home the same day-----my advice would be : pay extra---stay in for 2 nights: this operation needs a deep anaesthetic and takes a few days to adjust to.

I am SO glad I had the surgery. In spite of only one "attack" , the surgeon found the gb to be very inflamed-----if it had been any more inflamed, he'd have needed the BIG operation, cutting across all of stomach, rather than the keyhole surgery. He said I had been very wise to choose the operation---which he had left purely as my own choice.Another attack could have at worst caused bile duct obstruction and serious trouble; and, at best, a very major "open" surgery which takes months to recover from. I'm a normal person who was scared and wary ...........and now happy.

Even if I was now doing pretty badly after 1 month, I'd be glad to have had the op-----and avoided something FAR nastier in the longer run. Stitches came out after a week---all, OK; wounds gone: 4 scars the size of knitting needles......who cares?
    BUT, I am doing really GREAT------I'm gradually eating more and more normally--new items added gradually (this is the first time that my stomach has had bile going directly into it !!). Started on pasta and light salad but now, after weeks #2 and 3, on to my first ice-cream, first chocolate biscuit (cookie? lol), first red meat........all in moderation: but all the signs are good. I am delighted. There may be occasional "reactions" as I try more and more foodstuffs ( some diarrhoea: already had few MILD minor occasions)------but all the signs, given how rare they've been so far, is that I'll be eating all my spicy foods again ( I love Indian food !!) within a few months.

So that is MY experience. It's not meant to say "hey, DO this"----that is for individuals, especially those who study the internet closely, who find a real expert surgeon in this field and who know the healthcare facilities of their own country and locality. But I hope my story helps somebody/anybody.

In return ,lol, I'd love to hear from successful operation patients about how long it took to FULLY adjust to COMPLETELY normal eating. Stats in UK show 95% of patients DO recover their full previous eating habits----BUT the time it takes varies. I'd really like to hear from those with a happy story HOW LONG it took to make the full adjustment to spicy burgers, fries, sauces, wine, large meals etc. My surgeon says to expect a 6 month wait ( and not to "spoil" it by rushing). Just wondered if anyone out there can beat my surgeon's time limit )))))))))))))

Thanks----and GOOD LUCK to all patients who have , or may share , what I have experienced in the past month.
    Very kind wishes from England..........Peg
    PS for TKC-----in UK, "ejection rate" is not used as a basis for deciding on gb surgery-----it is just the scan showing stones + the biliary "attacks" that have occurred. And in your case, with no stones of any size and no VIOLENT biliary attacks ( and they are AWFUL !!), it sounds different to what I had. I'm just an ordinary person and my advice is ------see more doctors, have more tests, find out more : it's very easy for a doc to say "oh just take out the gb"-----when it might not be the answer. Just find a doctor who is an expert on gallbladders......with a proven trackrecord.....and go with him.
    The very best of luck at this worrying time. I look forward to hearing a great mail of joy from you on this site sometime this year.Take care and all the very best.....Peg

Last edited by thompeg; 08-03-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #7
    TKC
    (female)

TKC HB User

Thank you all for posting. I'm to make an appointment with a surgeon that was recommended by my GI doctor this week.

With me I really don't have pain--did have daily nausea which is now gone; (maybe a few twinges on the right side--started with moderate nausea, rib aches, trapped gas, and a twinge or two which could even be IBS.) I think the GI doctors here base their decision on the Hida % score and the fact that my ultrasound said my GB was physiologically distended (what ever that means) and that I have either multiple gallbladder polyps or small stones.

I'm anxious to see what the surgeon says, however, I would hate to leave in a dysfunctional gallbladder to have worse problems in the future. My mother had gallstones and lived with the attacks for 20 years before having to have her GB out with a wicked surgery.

I'll send a post after seeing the surgeon.

Thanks again,
    Tania

Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Tania,
    With the tests you have had done -- It certainly points to having your GB removed and I am certain that is what the surgeon is going to tell you.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
    mindyp
    (female)

mindyp HB User

I was in a similar situation with low ejection fraction with bouts of bloating, slight pain, and nausea. I had my gallbladder removed laparascopically with no ill effects. I feel so much better without it. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
    TKC
    (female)

TKC HB User
    Question Re: Gallbladder Problems

Does anyone know "why" a gallbladder becomes dysfunctional?

I'm wondering how long it has been this way and I didn't know it. If more people took a HIDA scan--they might be surprised at the % that it is working.

Tania

Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
    fortunesfool21
    (female)

fortunesfool21 HB User

I had my gallbladder out last week (7/30).

So far so good. I have to say Im recovering a bit better then I thought I was going to.

About a year and a half ago I had my first attack. It lasted a few hours, and afterwards I decided to wait and see without going to dr.

3 months later I had a bad one and went to the emergency room. I got pain meds and an ultrasound, at the time they found no stones.

My family dr suggested a HIDA Scan. My ejection fraction was 21%, the family dr reffered me to a surgeon. The surgeon suggested I see a gastroenterologist to make sure I didnt have anything else that could possibly be causing my problems.

The Gastro did an Endoscope, showed mild gastritis, hiatial hernia, and mild GERD. However he thought my attacks were caused by the gallbladder and he as well as the surgeon left it up to me whether or not to have it removed.

I had a mild attack (lasted only 3 hrs HA!) 4 months later, then nothing for 8 months.

Finally over the 4th of July weekend, I had the worst attack to date while I was on vacation. NOTHING helped. I had 4 Vicodin in the span of 8 hrs, it didnt touch the pain. I was vomitting and in extreme pain for over 10 hrs.

This set me over the edge and I had the thing removed.

........................................ ........................................ .........

The pain of the surgery itself was not too too bad. I opted to stay over night in the hospital (I was originally in my recovery room around 10am), just to air on the safe side. I only took the pain meds through my IV 2 times in 24 hrs.

I was uncomfortable standing, bending, sitting up, turning in bed, for the first 3 days.

I was advised to stay strictly low fat for the first 2 weeks, and Ive been following that religiously. I hear others on this board saying that if you stay low fat for 2-4 weeks and then put the fats back in you will have a lot easier of a time for the rest of your life.

I was prescribed Tylenol with Codine when I left the hospital and so far Ive only taken 6 of them in a week. Mainly at night before bed.

No queasiness at all which I was nervous about. The incisions are starting to heal and the surgeon thinks they look great and wont scar.

........................................ ........................................ .....

In my follow up today, I let the surgeon know that I have had this strange almost stitch in my side type uncomfortableness on my right side for a few days.

He assures me that it is more then likely muscular, because of the invasive tools they use, and that the muscle is just nicked and bruised a bit, and will feel a lot better in the next 4-6 weeks (this is not painfull for the most part, just uncomfortable)

I also have had very liquid-y diarrhea for the last 4 days. He asked me if I have also had a strange taste in my mouth, like food was bland or didnt taste the same.

I laughed and told him thats exactly what I was thinking that morning.

He is nearly certain what I have is an intestinal yeast infection, from all the antibiotics I was taking after surgery.

So he told me to continue on my new regimen of probiotic yogurt ( I decided to start eating probiotic yogurt for digestive help after surgery , after hearing good things about it) for at least a month and that should fade in the next 10-15 days. YAY!

He also let me know that it was a good thing I had the gallbladder out when I did afterall. My galbladder ended up being enlarged, in the end i DID develop stones, and worst of all he said there were signs of it bleeding internally, which would have only worsened with time causing more inflammation and later an emergency surgery for me.

<hr>

Of course I still worry how things like fats and the occasional night of drinking will effect me, and Im hoping im not plagued with diarrhea later, BUUUUTTT for my own health in the long run I am thinking it was for sure worth it to go a head and have it removed.

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL! I just find it comforting to read others stories and relate to them.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
    vocalist1945
    (female)

vocalist1945 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    I just got my biliary scan w/CCK back and the ejection was 9.2% (normal is 30% and up). My ultrasound also said I have a physiologically distended gallbladder. No major stones seen but either mini stones or polyps.

To me, this sounds like surgery. I have aches (not colic yet) and nausea everyday.

Has anyone had their GB out with success. I read about horror stories, but I know there are many who have had relief.

Would love to hear from you all.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
    vocalist1945
    (female)

vocalist1945 HB User

Hi: What is a biliary scan?
    I had my gb removed in 1991 and STILL have that feeling of "fullness", bloating,
    and now I have elevated liver enzymes and an iron level of 471. I just had
    an abdominal ultrasound and also an endoscopy............everything was clear.
    Did you have a CT scan w/contrast to reveal any stones or cysts?
    I will be waiting for your notes as this is very frustrating to me too.

Closed Thread