HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Gallbladder surgery - my story (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/662037-gallbladder-surgery-my-story.html)

scarolinagirl 01-12-2009 11:46 AM

Gallbladder surgery - my story

Hello,
I have been looking for others who have had gallbladder removal surgery and other issues postop. I wanted to share my story in hopes that it may help someone else that is having issues and also get advice on what is going on with me now.

I was hospitalized Oct. 9th, 2008 and spent four days in the hospital for a blocked bile duct, pancreatitis and gallbladder removal surgery. My eyes had turned a light yellow, blood test were bad at the ER and I was very sick.
Oct. 9th resulted in the emergency gallbladder removal for stones. Once in, it was found that I had a blocked bile duct. The surgeon estimated that the bile duct had been completely blocked for 3-5 days.
The following morning (Oct. 10th) I had another procedure done (ERCP, i think) to remove the stone that was blocking my bile duct. I was sent back to my hospital room for recovery.
Oct. 11th, I thought that I was going to go home but I got bad news about my blood counts. My pancreas was inflammed from the procedure and my counts were up to 10,000. I was told that I needed to go back on my IV and have nothing but fluids until leaving the hospital because my pancreas was inflammed.
I was finally released from the hospital on Oct. 12th.

It has taken this long to really start to feel good again.

The main symptoms prior to surgery were extreme pain in the back, upper abdomen, nausea and fatigue. I could not eat, could not sleep and could not function off the medications I was given for the issues. (mep. fortis) I was otherwise a healthy female.

There are two issues that I am having now though - my scar (the largest one) goes through spells where it is still sensitive to touch. It hurts me at times. Also, I'm having problems with acid reflux and bile. Is this normal?

Titchou 01-12-2009 12:55 PM

Re: Gallbladder surgery - my story

Wow! What was the delay in getting a diagnoses and/or surgery? Sorry you had to go thru all that.

You had so many issues that I'm not sure what to tell you! My biggest scar (belly button) was sensitive at times for several months. They told me it might be. It was the only one that had to have a stitch removed. All the others were dissolving ones.

And some people have acid refluc afterwards. What does your doctor say? Are you on meds for it? Pancreatitis can be very tough to get rid of. My mother continued to have flare ups for years...mostly because she wouldn't quit drinking alcohol.

scarolinagirl 01-12-2009 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Titchou;3846915]Wow! What was the delay in getting a diagnoses and/or surgery? Sorry you had to go thru all that.

You had so many issues that I'm not sure what to tell you! My biggest scar (belly button) was sensitive at times for several months. They told me it might be. It was the only one that had to have a stitch removed. All the others were dissolving ones.

And some people have acid refluc afterwards. What does your doctor say? Are you on meds for it? Pancreatitis can be very tough to get rid of. My mother continued to have flare ups for years...mostly because she wouldn't quit drinking alcohol.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The pancreatitis was caused from the 2nd procedure I had done at the hospital. It has since went away. I have never been an alcohol drinker and do not plan to start. ;) It was a very scary experience to go through.

As far as the issues I have have with acid reflux, the Dr. says it takes some time for the body to adjust. I've had to totally change my diet since the surgery and miss alot of the foods that I enjoyed before. The scar that bothers me the most is the one closer to the breast bone. It was much deeper and wider than the other two. It itches and hurts at times.

TheNewMrsG 01-13-2009 02:37 PM

Sorry you had a bad experience. My surgery was pretty easy (6/2008), but now I'm having bowel issues. It took a long time (about 4 months) to be able to eat half-way decently again. Just remember, though the GB isn't a necessary organ, your body is still coping with digestion and new processes. With the extra illnesses you had, I'm not suprised you aren't feeling 100% yet. I'm still tender in the belly button and I have a scar inbetween my breasts that is sensitive. As far as the acid reflux, it's totally normal -but I'm not sure about the bile. If your reflux gets worse, ask your doc about the GERD disorder. My doc says I dont have it, just mild reflux (and told me to take max strength pepcid ac instead of prilosec, because the prilosec is much stronger and can upset the stomach) and mild IBS - I would definately follow up though. Hope you feel better!

fawey 01-15-2009 07:45 AM

Sounds like you really had a rough go of it. For me, I got my gallbladder removed on August 22, 2008, at which time they also did a hernia repair. The hernia recovery was quite painful and took months. It is 5 months now post surgery, and I have recurrent reflux. I have Gerd and take 40mg of protonix everyday. But it does not touch the reflux now that I have since the gallbladder removed. Also I have very bad diarrhea, to the point where I will not eat when I go out. I am told this will subside around 6 monts post op. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to you all.

maggiekate 02-14-2009 11:13 PM

in March, 2008, i had my gallbladder removed. i ate something i should not have on saturday, went to the hospital that night, doped me up on pain meds and sent me home saying i was better because i felt no pain, go figure. i went back to the hospital on monday because i was still in pain (all of sunday was spent in a bit of pain but thought that that was normal because of the amount of time i had been in pain on saturday). i spent the whole day waiting for ultrasound until about 4pm at which time they told me that i had a stone stuck in the neck of the gallbladder and that i would need surgery. they took me to a room and said that they woudl take me to surgery that night, which came and went, then came to see me tuesday morning to tell me that they would do surgery that night, which also came and went but by that time, i was very sick, dry heaving, etc., so by the time the surgeon came again to see me on Wednesday morning to tell me that they would for sure take me to surgery that night, i looked at the surgeon and basically told him that i did not think i had until that night.

It worked out that my family gp, who was in the hospital for something else, had found out i was there and came to see how i was doing without a gallbladder, and found that i still had the gallbladder, i think he must have done something because within 1 1/2 hours i was taken down to surgery.

It turned out that apparently according to the surgeon when they opened me up laprascopic, it was so bad, they almost had to open me right up. needless to say, i was in the hospital for another 4 days on antibiotics before they would let me go home. Thankfully that was almost a year ago and i am almost normal, with a few changes to my diet to avoid embarrasments in public. I sincerely hope i will never have to experience anything like that again.