It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Pain after Gallbladder Surgery and ERCP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #46
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: Pain after Gallbladder Surgery and ERCP

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutsnky View Post
    Hey Doll Baby,
    I had both surgeries the end of October, back to back. I am still having a lot of problems being sick. My GP is sending me to another GI, becuase he does not have a glue at all.
    I was told to take Prilosec OTC for the nausea and it really helps. I forgot it a couples of days and wish someone would just shot me. Please give it a try. It will take several days to start working.
    I can't say if the ERCP will stop evreything for you and pray it will, but it did not for me.
    I also have problems with the belly button area. I told the surgeon he did something to it and he said it was scar tissue and shot me up with steroids there, "hurt like you know what", but it is not fixed either, so i don't know what to do about that. They may have to do more shots, yeah!
    Please try the Prilosc and let us know.
    Again i sure wish someone would figure this out for us.

Gigi11 you might want to try the Prilosec too?
    I am on Zantac prescription twice a day plus Prilosec. So 2 PPIs - it helped with my belching but I still have nausea so I am on anti nausea and a pain killer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #47
    Doll Baby
    (female)

Doll Baby HB User

i had dinner this evening and all of a sudden hadpain in middle of chest scared me to death i had gallbladder out a week ago seems like everything disagrees with me what should i eat i think this pain is still gas pockets dont have any idea what to eat or for how long.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #48
    aa1971
    (female)

aa1971 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angelarenees View Post
    I had my gallbladder removed on Nov. 23rd, 2008. I felt okay up until Dec. 24th when I had a very painful attack that felt just like another gallbladder attack but my galldbladder was gone! This was extreme doubled over, hard to breathe pain. I went to the emergency room and they did an ultrasound on me and said my gallbladder and pancreas looked normal and they saw no remaining stones but my liver enzymes levels were six times higher than normal. So they put me on pain pills and sent me home. Christmas eve night I spent the entire night throwing up dark yellow liquid. Next I went to a gastroenteroligist for further evaluation. He took my blood again and said my liver enzymes were back to normal. He then scheduled me to get an MRCP exam. The night before I was supposed to get that done which was about 3 weeks after the first attack I have another attack. Again so painful I was doubled over and could barely breathe. So I once again go to the emergency room. They did xrays on me that night and still saw nothing wrong except that my liver enzymes had shot up again. So it seems my liver enzymes shoot up while I'm in one of these attacks. They put me on a morphine IV and sent me home and again I went home and threw up dark yellow liquid. The next morning I go to get the MRCP and it showed nothing was wrong. Then my gastroenteroligist sent me to get an endoscopic ultrasound. They went down my throat and still saw nothing wrong. No remaining stones or anything. That doctor told me I still needed to get an ERCP done since my liver enzymes keep going up and down. I told my best friend this and she freaked out and said she has a close friend that got an ERCP done and she developed severe pancreatitis from it and was hospitalized for months, lost all her hair and almost died. Well this scared me so much I called the doctors office and canceled the appt. immediately. I was just wondering if anyone would know what could be causing me to still have pain when I have no remaining stones? I've read about sphincter of oddi, but I figure they would have detected if I had that or not when they were inside me doing the endoscopic ultrasound. I don't get sick every day but when I do it is unbearable. I do alot of times feel a dull burning sensation or dull ache in my upper right ribs section. It's almost like I can feel where my gallbladder was and it feels like it is burning from where it was removed. I have only gotten really sick like that when I ate something fattening, like a McDonalds filet of fish and french fries, so now I am only eating steamed vegetables, wheat bread, etc. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think I could just be getting these attacks because I ate something fattening and my body is not ready to process that fat without my gallbladder yet? I am scared to death to get this ERCP test done and only want to do that as an absolute LAST resort. Is it normal for me to still have these pains and vomiting after surgery when I have no stones or anything? Also I am thin and have always exercised and ate healthy 90% of the time so I wasn't unhealthy before this operation. Any help, info, insight, similar experiences would be so appreciated! Thank you!
    If still having unexplained pain...has anyone ever mentioned or discussed acute intermittent porphyria with you? A friend was recently diagnosed after having appendix and gall bladder removed...it is a treatable condition.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #49
    JodieK
    (female)

JodieK HB User

I'm not sure who are you are responding to ( angel) was the one who made this post originally, but if you scroll back to when I first started posting here- they did try to diagnose me with porphyria.

It wasn't porphyria in my case. It was SOD.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #50
    francieL
    (female)

francieL HB User

I'm new to this forum. Had gallbladder removal and partial liver resection done mid April 2010. Have since had 2 severe pain attacks (similar to gallbladder attacks) that sent me to the ER. Have had approx. 3 other attacks since surgery, not severe enough for the ER, but still pretty bad. Blood levels were normal as of a week ago. Still have pain in my abdomen, centrally located, just below the ribcage. Doctor wants to wait and see if i have another bad pain attack. What could be going on? Could it be SOD? Might I need ERCP?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #51
    soontobeslim
    (female)

soontobeslim HB User

hi, ive been scrolling through this thread and i sympathise and empathise with everyone who are having problems post choly
    i had gallstones and removal of nearly 3 yrs ago. uneventful recovery, although i started having digestive problems almost immediatly. it doesnt matter what i eat - low fat or high, i get unpredictable bouts of diarrhoea - explosive and extremely painful stomach cramps. im so paranoid that i hate going out unless i know i have quick and easy access to a toilet. more recently i have started getting acid reflux. a yr or so ago i also started getting pains exactly like those i had with the gallstones,but milder and short lasting. they usually eased off after drinking a pint or so of water. (doing this can allieviate biliary type colic associated with gallstones, if drank before the pain gets too bad).never even bothered going to see anyone about it.
    anyway yesterday i had the most vicious bout of pain ever - right side of ribs, back and rt shoulder.ended up being taken to hospital in an ambulance. drs thought i had pancreatitis, but luckily my bloods were ok. they now think i probably have some stones in my bile duct and am waiting for another ultrasound.
    i also have chronic problems with my back (goes with the job) and cant take brufen cos of asthma. ive noticed that taking codiene based analgesia or even oral morphine can trigger similar pain. anyone else found this

Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #52
    Doll Baby
    (female)

Doll Baby HB User

Soontobeslim

I had my gallbladder removed I had some pain afterwards said to dr are you sure you took gallbladder out. Rarely but can happen a stone can be in bile duct then they do an ultrasound if ok I have back issues pain goes to front dr said muscles from back can tighten and cause pain in front.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #53
    mars1259
    (male)

mars1259 HB User

I was diagonsed with gallstones about 4 years ago, I had 3 attacks, one landed me in the hospital. Back then, no stones stuck anywhere, the pain went away, and was attack free for over 4 years....

3 weeks ago out of the blue, have an attack...lasted 3 days on and off, 3rd day off to gastro doctor cause I couldn't stand it anymore. He sends me over to the hospital for labs and CT scan. Next day calls me and tells me I have 2 stones stuck in the bile duct, be at hospital in the morning to do ERCP to remove the stones, then next day have gallbladder removed. Needless to say this came as a shock, my wife was scheduled for surgery the following week and didn't know what to do. Anyway, long story short, had the ERCP, he removed the stones, spent the night in the hospital, cancelled the gallbladder removal due to my wifes upcoming surgery. Have been on low fat diet since, went to see my regular gastro doc a week later, was told I have numerous small stones in my gallbladder, and of course only thing to do is have it out. Now I've been feeling fine since the ERCP, and don't buy into the "you don't need the gallbladder" line...it's there for a purpose. Did a lot of research before I went to see my gastro doc, and asked to try ursidol and see if the stones would dissolve since they are small. She was reluctant, but agreed to give it a shot. I haven't had any pain since the ERCP, sticking to my diet and taking the medication. Had a baseline ultrasound done last week, have "multiple" small stones in the gallbladder, go back in 3 months and have another ultrasound to see if they are reducing in size/going away. Have heard too many people have digestive problems after GB removal, I'm going to try and keep mine if all possible. GB removal is the tonsilectomy of the the 21st century.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #54
    lisx
    (female)

lisx HB User

Hi, have you solved your health issue or made any progress on "naming it."
    I've been suffering with what sounds like identical symptoms, only constipation more than diarrhea and I can't figure this out. Please let me know!!~

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #55
    yowyo
    (female)

yowyo HB User

I just had the ERCP procedure done a week ago and the only complication I had was that they were unable to remove the gall stone and instead had to place a stent in my bile duct. I go back in on the 23rd to have the stone crushed and the stent removed. The surgeon I had decided to wait in order to prevent pancreatitis. The last thing they wanted to do to me was give me that since when I went in for my first ERCP I had had my gallbladder removed earlier that morning. I also had extremely high liver panels, hence the quick action in my situation. I really think that as long as you have a GI surgeon who will try their best to prevent pancreatitis that its an easy going procedure. The only side effect I had afterward was a scratchy throat.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #56
    barty 321
    (female)

barty 321 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abeautifulash View Post
    Hi Angela, I am very interested in hearing about your ERCP experience this week... please post afterwards as soon as you are able! I have been sick with very similar symptoms for 3 years now. The first two years, I was misdiagnosed with IBS and my doctors wouldn't listen to me that my pain and nausea was on my right side, where my gallbaldder is located. Finally after almost 2.5 years, I did my own research and went back to my gastroenterologist and demanded to be tested for gallstones. Ultrasound was negative. Then I asked to be tested for gallbladder function. Turns out my gallbladder is not functioning properly -- I only had an 18% ejection fraction (35% or 40% and above is normal). Doctor recommended a few more tests (for acid or stomach emptying) and then gallbladder surgery... I said no. I KNEW it was something to do with my gallbladder and biliary system, not acid or stomach related, because it hurts RIGHT there and I have all the symptoms... and I didn't want an impaired digestive system the rest of my life as a result of not having a gallbladder - I like all my organs right where they are! Then I saw a TV special on a girl that had SOD (it's on U Tube -- The Girl Who Couldn't Eat) and her symptoms sounded very similar to mine! I started doing research on SOD and I really think I may have it, and who knows it could even be causing my gallbaldder to malfunction if all the bile is backed up since the sphincter won't open properly. I'm getting pretty desperate for answers and have even been considering having my gallbladder out because I'm just so tired of being sick. (I had to drop out of college, work from home, and my husband has to come with me and drive me if I ever want to go out... I'm THAT sick, and have been for years!). I've tried all sorts of natural remedies and talked with naturopaths about it, and I think I could really get well on a strict health plan (juicing and vitamins and such), but I just don't have the energy to do it by myself. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome on top of everything else and it just leaves me feeling exhausted 100% of the time. (I overcame CFS many years ago but it came back in the last few years since I haven't been able to stick to a healthy lifestyle of eating well and exercising because of all the gallbladder pain and nausea!). I'm not sure if I have SOD, or just a low-functioning gallbladder, or BOTH, but I've been thinking I would rather get tested/treated for SOD before having my gallbladder out just in case that is the root of the problem. The only dilemma is, of course, the ERCP test and how RISKY it is! I've heard such horrible stories, and that up to 40% of patients develop pancreatis because of it. So I just don't know what to do. I'm so tired of being sick... I'm just 22 and I feel like I've only been half alive for the last 3 years. Anyway, please let me know how your ERCP goes... I hope it goes well! I'd love to hear about your experience and the results.
    Hi Abeautifulash, thought you might like to know about my E.R.C.P. experience. I had it done 2 days ago. Like you I'd heard horrible stories and was really scared about having it done, but the pain I've been having has been so bad I was at the stage where I'll try anything! The worst part was when they had to run through what could go wrong ( which they did when I was on the trolley outside the room where I was to have it done!!) I honestly did want to run out of there! I'm sooooo happy to say it all went really smoothly, I remember them inserting the endoscope and I did panic for a second, I remember them telling me to swallow which I did and I don't remember anything after that! I had no pain in the hours after, I feel a little bruised after eating now and my throat is a bit sore when I swallow, but honestly that's all. I know everyone is not that lucky but I think people are more likely to post their bad experiences than their good ones. Although I wouldn't called mine a "good" experience, it certainly wasn't bad! Hope this helps.x

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #57
    lindanu
    (female)

lindanu HB User

My husband had his gallbladder our 11/09. He seemed good for a while then started having the same pains as before. When they first started they would be once every couple of weeks or months for about 5 minutes. Sometimes he would have several a day and often times for many days in a row. Last week he had one that wouldn't go away. Pain lasted for 4 hours before we went to the ER. The Ultra Sound showed a dilated bile duct indicating the possibility of stone. The catscan was normal. The next day he had an MRI which was also normal. The following day he had the ECRP where they discovered two stones blocking his bile duct. The cut the bile duct and the stone came out. He was discharged 3 hours later and 3 hours after that was in the car driving to a golf trip that was 4 hours away. At the hospital his liver enzymes and bilirubin were very high and he is going to the doctor tomorrow to have the bloodwork done again. So far he is feeling good. He did fine on his trip . He is eating low fat, but not having any pains. We really hope this works. I felt like this thread needed a positive experience story.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #58
    gabriel1234
    (female)

gabriel1234 HB User

I have been reading the threads on post gall bladder removal problems. 9 mos. ago I had surgery to remove 9 kidney stones. I had a rare complication after that surgery that landed me back in the hospital and strangely a week after that recovery I woke up with a feeling that an elephant was sitting on my chest. I didn't have any pain just complete discomfort and unable to breathe. A third trip back to the hospital showed gall stones and my gall bladder was removed soon afterwards. (My gall bladder was actually infected.) My recovery has been slow but steady. I haven't had a lot of the gall bladder post surgery problems I'm reading about in others and I think one reason is I have been taking an excellent ENZYME formula to aid in digestion whenever I eat called DIGEST GOLD by Enzymedica. It's kind of spendy but it has really worked for me. I ran out of them this week and for three days was without. WOW! I sure started having digestion pain/troubles! Just wanted to pass this on and hopefully this will help someone/people who have been suffering.

Closed Thread