It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Gallbladder test, please explain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
HRATL

HRATL HB User
Post Gallbladder test, please explain

What are the test for Gallbladders...and how do they do them, do they hurt?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I had my gallbladder removed five years ago due to nonfunction.

Amongst routine blood tests, I first had an ultrasound done of my abdomen. No pain at all while the tech rolls the ultrasound thingy over my stomach. She also took pictures of my stomach, pancreas, liver and aorta...these are pretty much standard routine. That test showed no stones in my gallbladder and appeared normal.

Seeing as I still was having pain under my ribcage, my doctor then sent me for a nuclear scan. This was done at the hospital and I believe I had to fast for about 12 hours. You lay flat on a gurney; you're hooked up to an IV that somehow will fill your gallbladder and make it contract from which they can see on a computer screen. (I guess the stuff in the IV glows in your body, someone can probably explain more in depth than I can about that.) The only discomfort I had, wouldn't really call it pain, was just the achiness from my gallbladder during the test. It's really no big deal and there aren't any side effects and is safe.

That test revealed that my gallbladder had ceased functioning because it would fill up but not empty and that's why I had pain. Had it removed a couple weeks later and I feel marvelous now.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
HRATL

HRATL HB User
Thank you for responding.I don't know if it's my gall bladder or not..But the pain is not so good, but comes and goes for 4 months now...it's in the lower right rib cage and started after I fell down on my stomach, not to mention I went bowling 2 days before that and think I did something to my rib area?? the pain is on and off, but at first it was so bad (cramps) and now it gets sore when I try to do to much around the house and yard like garden etc...then it feels like a pressure in there. and gets real sore.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:08 PM   #4
JetService

JetService HB User
HRATL, I had the same problems you descibe. The paid was so unbearable, especially when I laid down, but then it would go away. Attacks ranged about an hour maybe once or twice a week. They diagnosed me first by abnormal blood tests indicative of liver or gallbladder problems during one of my emergency room visits (it got that bad towards the end). Then test compelled them to order an ultra-sound which confirmed the stones. The surgery was ordered and afterwards, I never had any problems. What a relief!

Old 04-28-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
JetService

JetService HB User
HRATL, I had the same problems you descibe. The paid was so unbearable, especially when I laid down, but then it would go away. Attacks ranged about an hour maybe once or twice a week. They diagnosed me first by abnormal blood tests indicative of liver or gallbladder problems during one of my emergency room visits (it got that bad towards the end). Then test compelled them to order an ultra-sound which confirmed the stones. The surgery was ordered and afterwards, I never had any problems. What a relief!

Old 05-27-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
HRATL

HRATL HB User
Thanks posters for responding...

Closed Thread