It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Severely depressed about gallbladder removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
    Maryinpa
    (female)

Maryinpa HB User
    Severely depressed about gallbladder removal

Went to the ER a few days ago and found out that the pain I've been having for years is my gallbladder.... and am now facing having it removed.

Had a tonsillectomy in 2004 and had a horrible reaction to the anesthesia, likely the morphine, had sever respiratory depression post op.

So the thought of facing another surgery is killing me emotionally.

How bad is the gall bladder surgery???? I mean, dangerous wise? I don't care much about the pain, just worried about dying from complications .....

I cant function, cant eat, cant sleep , cry constantly......I am SOO scared.

I feel like this is a nightmare..

The following user gives a hug of support to Maryinpa:
    djc4294 (02-18-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User
    Re: Severely depressed, giving up on life...

Laparoscopy gallbladder removal is pretty safe. I was in and out and recovering very fast.

If you don't like Morphine, ask for Fentanyl. A lot of people react better to it.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I wouldn't worry - mine was done 8 months ago. I was very scared like you because I hate surgery.

Please, please don't stress yourself out and be scared. It last only 20 minutes. They gave me a sedative to calm me down then I don't remember a thing until I woke up in the recovery room. I stayed in the recovery room for 2 hours. They just check your heart rate and blood pressure. You are served crackers and ginger ale. After that I went home. I rested for a couple of days and then I walked around. No problem.

It is not a nightmare, please don't worry. Just schedule it quick and it will be over quick. You will not die from complications. This is one of the most routine surgeries they have and your percentages are so low it is ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I can only second what the others have said. I jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out. That was 4 years ago and all is still well. It is a simple procedure! 3-4 holes and that's it. I was at the hospital at 5 AM and was back in my bed at home by 10 AM and that included a stop at the drugstore to fill the pain med scrip. Can't ask for anything easier.

And BTW, I had my tonsils out as an adult, I'd have 10 gb's removed rather than go thru the tonsil thing again!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
    Maryinpa
    (female)

Maryinpa HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words, folks.

I am so terrified I can't think straight.

I'm scared of the surgery, but I'm also scared of dying from these stones, like if they block the duct or if the gallbladder explodes or something.....

So, at this point i'm scared of dying during the surgery, and even more so, while waiting to get it.

Do people actually die from having their gallbladder inflamed and full of junk, or am I panicking again?

THanks again for the help folks, coming on here is my last ditch effort to keep from having to go on tranquilizers until the surgery. I am that freaked out by this......

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Severely depressed about gallbladder removal

When is your surgery? I'm sure they would have done emergency surgery if they felt your situation warranted it. Until then, eat NO FAT...None, zero, zitch, nada. That's the culprit.

Then stay very low fat or fat free for about 4 weeks...and then slowly introduce it back into your diet. Fat is the enemy of gb issues.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was just tested yesterday to see if I had a stone left and there was none.

Please don't worry! You will not die from stones left behind - what happens is your liver enzymes will go up and you get a fever and you turn jaundice. THAT IS ONLY IF A STONE IS LEFT BEHIND. Your bile duct will never burst from a stone.

I have been in your shoes believe me I was scared too but it is a piece of cake. Just ask for pain killers after your surgery. You won't be in pain but it will help you get plenty of rest for recovery. I loved the pain killers! I was so relaxed with them and I needed them because I worked myself up worrying like you are doing right now and my body needed rest.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I did alot of meditation before my surgery and it worked - I calmed down. Talk it over with your relatives to get your fear out. Talk to others that have had gallbladder surgery. Look up others on this board who had their gallbladder out you will find my post of how scared I was before my surgery. But believe I worried for nothing because it was such a piece of cake and I had no pain. I walking right after my surgery in the hospital. What a simple procedure.

Follow a bland diet right now.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
    Maryinpa
    (female)

Maryinpa HB User

Gigi,

I was reading your other post, and couldn't believe it...I have panic attacks, also!!! And I have the unwanted ability to MAKE myself feel sick. I am so happy to know I"m not the only one with a panic disorder. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues though. I hope it is just your panic disorder acting up, believe me, I know for a fact that it is possible for your mind to make you FEEL pain and symptoms that aren't "real".

Well, I cried so hard all day that my eyes are sore and I can't see out of them too well. I may have to go one anti anxiety meds, but I'm trying very very hard to avoid that......

On wednesday, at the hospital, I was given an EKG and tons of blood work, everything came back normal....so the only issue is this gallbladder.

I've avoided the fats, and since wednesday, have had no severe cramping attacks, just mild tenderness, which seems to be ebbing.....

Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well after having the MRCP test - I found out there is nothing wrong with me. I had severe panic attacks which did make feel sick. I forgot how powerful the mind is. The doctor got so tired of me he told me don't come back unless you have real symptoms. Apparently the MRCP test sees everything - irritation of the stomach, tumors, etc.

I do have back pains which makes my waist hurt so maybe I was confused and did the fear thing (fear = false evidence appearing real).

Now when I wake up in the morning I don't have the pain anymore. Maybe I was always thinking the worse and then the pain appeared. Now that I had that test I feel like I have my life back!!.

Please don't cry! Just relax and do some breathing exercises and keep yourself busy. I do meditation and it works. I did the same thing you did cry and worry. It was such a piece of cake with the surgery. I did all that worry for nothing but I messed my insides up with stress.

I was going through so much stress with my husbands job that it messed my stomach up from the worrying. Now, I am going to take each day as it comes.

I am the worrier, the what if person. Then it turns out to be nothing at all.

I had walking pneumonia 6 months ago and I thought whoever gets pneumonia eventually dies from complications. I panicked and made things worse! I lived and I worried for nothing. So please try to relax and I know it hard to say.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
    sleepyeyes
    (female)

sleepyeyes HB User

Recent surgery, Before my recent surgery I explained to the doctor what I expect the outcome I want. This LA. Dr Viishul Kapor does whatever he want and have no regard for the patient. He will tell you one thing as if he understand what you want from the surgery, yet you'll find after the surgery he has done a completely different thing. Such as: he will tell the patient he will make an incision in one area, and instead he end up making the incision in a very different area. Also he will go completely against what you sign on the consent, which is absolutely illegal. He's young and very incompetent. I am so dipress from this surgery because now I have to live with a great deal of disatisfaction and he ruin my face which I can't hide from the world. If you are in LLA. CA. and seeking a plastic surgeon save yourself from a nightmare of Vishul Kapor.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Hi, I was nervous as you are last month prior to my gall bladder removal. I couldn't function because I was so scared. But I faced it and ya know what. I was not bad at all. The pain I had prior to the surgery was 85% more horrible than the surgery itself. I did not have to use pain killers. I just took extra strength tylenol. I did not have to stay overnight in the hospital. I left two hours after my surgery. I did have a little pain but nothing to make me incapacitated. It was an easy surgery. The recovery time was quick. If you knew me you'd know I am the biggest baby when it comes to doctors, hospitals, etc. I always think the worst. But with the laproscopic surgery nowadays, it's really not major like you think. The anesthesia was great - nice sleep, not scary and I woke up feeling happy it was behind me. Now a month later, I am back to normal, feeling great and hope you will be there soon too.

Good Luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
    Maryinpa
    (female)

Maryinpa HB User

THANK YOU, looly, your post made me cry. And everyone.

You all are angels,

I'm very very stressed and trying to just make it through each day...without resorting to meds.

I keep panicking and crying and it's upsetting my family. When I get upset, I come on here and re read the posts, and it does help. So thank you to everyone.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just don't cry - go out if you can and do things with your family to keep your mind off the surgery. Don't panic, it was so easy and you will look back laughing at all this. They do hundreds of these surgeries a week. It is so routine! So please don't get anxiety over it.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I concur. I had my tonsils out as an adult and I can say that was waaaaaay worse than having my gb out! Just htink about how good you are going to feel when it's out. That should be the focus.

Closed Thread