It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Those without a gallbladder - questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Those without a gallbladder - questions

I am suffering from the typical problem some people go through without a gallbladder - I have diarrhea, bloating, indigestion, belching - my doctor said it will take a while for your body to adjust for not having the gallbladder. September 2009 will be a year. Has anyone had an adjustment period and how long did it take?

I am taking a Welchol to absorb the bile because I believe I have excess bile - no doctor could tell me what exactly is wrong with me after having dozens of tests.

Will losing weight help to get the digestive system back in order? I need to lose 125 lbs.

I am eating low fat food and doing everything right exercise, plenty of water, avoiding preservative foods and red meat.

Please answer! This has caused me anxiety and depression because I feel I will never be able to have a glass of wine or eat a favorite food at a restaurant. I don't feel normal anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
    Rhonda37
    (female)

Rhonda37 HB User
    Smile Re: Those without a gallbladder - questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
    I am suffering from the typical problem some people go through without a gallbladder - I have diarrhea, bloating, indigestion, belching - my doctor said it will take a while for your body to adjust for not having the gallbladder. September 2009 will be a year. Has anyone had an adjustment period and how long did it take?

I am taking a Welchol to absorb the bile because I believe I have excess bile - no doctor could tell me what exactly is wrong with me after having dozens of tests.

Will losing weight help to get the digestive system back in order? I need to lose 125 lbs.

I am eating low fat food and doing everything right exercise, plenty of water, avoiding preservative foods and red meat.

Please answer! This has caused me anxiety and depression because I feel I will never be able to have a glass of wine or eat a favorite food at a restaurant. I don't feel normal anymore.
    Hi I dont know if this will help but I had my gallbladder taken out about 16 years ago and things do get better. when it first happen i remember going out to eat and as soon as i was done eating my stomach hurt and i had diarrhea it was bad but I dont really notice any of the diarrhea any more maybe with some foods that are really greasy but thats it. So it will get better, as far as how long it took i really dont remember but i know my kids were small the last time i had an episode and the are 15 and 18 now so hang in there. Good Luck

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Those without a gallbladder - questions

Alcohol has nothing to do with your gallbladder. The gastritis you were diagnosed with could be exacerbated by it though. And, as you know, your weight is a contributing factor for all the problems you are having.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhonda37 View Post
    Hi I dont know if this will help but I had my gallbladder taken out about 16 years ago and things do get better. when it first happen i remember going out to eat and as soon as i was done eating my stomach hurt and i had diarrhea it was bad but I dont really notice any of the diarrhea any more maybe with some foods that are really greasy but thats it. So it will get better, as far as how long it took i really dont remember but i know my kids were small the last time i had an episode and the are 15 and 18 now so hang in there. Good Luck
    Thanks for your encouraging words at least it gives me hope that maybe I will get past this and get my life back. My kids are small right now and I feel bad for them because they need me and I hate all this bloatness and sore stomach.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wink Re: Those without a gallbladder - questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Alcohol has nothing to do with your gallbladder. The gastritis you were diagnosed with could be exacerbated by it though. And, as you know, your weight is a contributing factor for all the problems you are having.

Yeah, my doctor told me it won't make a difference with my condition. I just saw a TV program about how weight crushes your stomach and can cause acid so these doctors drive you crazy don't they!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
    Mysteryman64
    (male)

Mysteryman64 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago. My only real advice for getting your digestive system back on track is exposure. The first couple of times you eat spicy or fatty foods, you are most likely going to get diarrhea. It's most likely going to hit quickly and hard so make sure you have a toilet available for after you are done eating.

The first 3 months were the worst for me. Nearly everything seemed to give me really bad diarrhea. After that it seemed to slow down, but I still have a few problem foods. For the most part, I can eat completely normally now. Fatty foods and spicy foods might still give me diarrhea but its delayed and not almost instantaneous like it was when I first had it removed.

Also, avoid hot wings in public. They taste good, but you will severely regret it about 5 minutes after you eat them.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In the future, and I am doing everything right like I am doing now will there be a chance that this will get worse or does it get better. I am just scared that there will be more complications. Like what if my welchol doesn't work anymore

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It should not get worse. However, should the welchol no longer work, there are other meds for this. You'd just have to try them...like with anything else...to see which one works best. I had a scrip for one when I first had mine out but I forget what it was called - I think it maybe began with a "c" but maybe not...never took it though as things pretty much fell into place for me..with a few uh-ohs but I knew from what I was eating that I was going to have to make a mad dash at some point! Just gutted it out and never got the scrip filled.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou - Did you have problems in the beginning and how many months did it take to get back to normal? I am going on 11 months and still feel this way. I notice it is happening more often since I started all this testing and I think my nerves contribute to it. I feel like an old woman sitting on the sofa sick to my stomach.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2-3 months before it pretty much went away. And I always knew what was going to set it off - cheese, Mexican food, etc. Pretty obvious. I also had a problem with roughage...lettuce, raw cabbage, etc. off and on. But that cleared too. But, heck, I'm 63 so some things are gonna change as you age. If that was all, then no biggie.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gosh I am sick of this and I can't figure out what is causing it. Every two days my stomach will act up and the welchol helps with the dirreahea but I think my bowels are having spasms after I go. So I have to sit down for awhile till my stomach settles plus I belch - this is horrible.

Closed Thread