HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   After gallbladder surgery?? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/731060-after-gallbladder-surgery.html)

her70cuda 01-14-2010 09:59 AM

After gallbladder surgery??

I just got out of the hospital and would like to know how others felt after their surgery? I'm having a bit of a rough day.

jns1022 01-14-2010 01:29 PM

Re: After gallbladder surgery??

Hey! Hope everything went well. How are you feeling? I had my gallbladder removed in December. I was in a bit of discomfort for about the first 2 days after I had my surgery. After I got home from in the hospital I just layed in bed for most of the rest of the day. The hardest part was trying to find a comfortable position. Moving around would cause some pain and it was hard to get up/lay down. I did take some of the pain medication I was given during the first couple days, mainly when I would try to sleep. It took about 3-4 days before I really felt like doing anything. After that, I was going stir crazy being at home with nothing to do but watch TV. I was back at work at work 8 days after surgery. Hopefully after you recooperate you'll be feeling much than you were when you had your gallbladder.

her70cuda 01-14-2010 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=jns1022;4163234]Hey! Hope everything went well. How are you feeling? I had my gallbladder removed in December. I was in a bit of discomfort for about the first 2 days after I had my surgery. After I got home from in the hospital I just layed in bed for most of the rest of the day. The hardest part was trying to find a comfortable position. Moving around would cause some pain and it was hard to get up/lay down. I did take some of the pain medication I was given during the first couple days, mainly when I would try to sleep. It took about 3-4 days before I really felt like doing anything. After that, I was going stir crazy being at home with nothing to do but watch TV. I was back at work at work 8 days after surgery. Hopefully after you recooperate you'll be feeling much than you were when you had your gallbladder.[/QUOTE]

The surgery was yesterday morning but the meds threw me for a loop so I was too dizzy to even stand yesterday.

My legs and feet felt like lead weights but I've been walking in the house as much as I can and they are much better. My abdomen is another story. It's bloated and feels like everything is just scrunched up really tight in there. When I walk it feels like it pulls on the organs or some odd feeling like that. Laying is very difficult because it's hard to get comfortable. The incision sites seem to be doing fine. I do still have some nausea.

I was so depressed today because I guess I thought I'd be feeling better than this :( I've never had any surgery before this so I had no idea what to expect.

jns1022 01-15-2010 08:50 PM

Are you feeling any better? I felt the same pulling sensation you describe when I would try to lay down or get up out of bed and changing positions when I was laying down. That lasted for several days. I was still a little sore a week after surgery but nothing too bad. It will however take another couple weeks before your energy level really returns to normal.

Titchou 01-16-2010 06:00 AM

The bloating is from the gas they inflate you with. Walking will help dissipate it.

her70cuda 01-16-2010 06:47 PM

Well I can eat a little better now. Amazing, I had a bit of fish, some peas and carrots and a small potato with fat free gravy. Seemed to tolerate it ok. I hadn't been able to eat solid food for a good few weeks. The gas is still lingering but I think improved a bit.

Now the biggest issue pressing is this belly button. It feels really weird, sort of itchy and sore. It has a dressing that's supposed to remain till next week, they say it was a bigger hole. Can anyone tell me how theirs felt?

Titchou 01-17-2010 05:06 AM

That incision is usually the largest as it is where they actually pull the gb out. With mine, it was the only one with a non-disolving suture and the only one that still shows any scarring. Itching is not necessarily a bad thing and it will be the sorest one as well. Make sure any clothing comes way above or below it.

her70cuda 01-18-2010 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=Titchou;4164970]That incision is usually the largest as it is where they actually pull the gb out. With mine, it was the only one with a non-disolving suture and the only one that still shows any scarring. Itching is not necessarily a bad thing and it will be the sorest one as well. Make sure any clothing comes way above or below it.[/QUOTE]

I've got 5 holes. The 4 smaller have stitches that will have to be removed and I still haven't seen the bellybutton incision yet. I think I am going to see the Doc on Wednesday which will be a week and I'm not sure if they will remove any of it then or what? I'm still waiting for a time for the appt.

I seem to have more right sided pains today (where the gb was and just behind the rib up closer to center of my chest but right side still) and more abdominal bloating. This is so irritating. I'm sick of feeling sick!

Titchou 01-18-2010 02:02 PM

They should be rmoving the stitches then - it's usually done at 1 week....

her70cuda 01-18-2010 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=Titchou;4166015]They should be rmoving the stitches then - it's usually done at 1 week....[/QUOTE]

Good, that will be nice and hopefully some of this horrible bloat will go away by then too.

jns1022 01-20-2010 08:06 PM

It's been 6 weeks since I had my gallbladder removed (had one gallstone) and I'm still having some slight issues. While I've been feeling a lot better after eating and have resumed my normal diet I still have the same tenderness in my abdomen that I had before the surgery. It is most tender to the touch in the upper central portion just under my breastbone down to about an inch above my belly button. I also feel a dull ache under my breastbone for much of the day. It's nothing extreme, just enough to annoy me. Also, while not as bad as before, I still have some bloating and burping issues. I really am not wanting to go back to the doctor but am worried that maybe something could be wrong other than my gallbladder. If anyone has any thoughts on what could be going on, or has had the same problems after gallbladder removal, any insight would be great appreciated. Thanks!

her70cuda 01-21-2010 08:42 PM

I have I think just one more after surgery question. It is something that is driving me nuts. I have a pain in my side, near the lower right incision site. It feels almost like I would imagine a pulled muscle would feel. If I turn one way or lift my leg or something with the arm on that side it hurts.

Has anyone has this going on and have it get better? Any idea what the heck it might be?

I would have asked the Doc but I didn't get to see him yet. I really want to get out of this house for a bit and I'm not sure how that spot will be to try to even get some real clothes on.

Titchou 01-22-2010 05:20 AM

It's probably internal bruising. My worst spot was just to right of my belly button. it was sore for about 3 weeks. According to my surgeon, you get a little banged up on the inside from them snaking the gb out of the hole.

her70cuda 01-22-2010 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=Titchou;4168609]It's probably internal bruising. My worst spot was just to right of my belly button. it was sore for about 3 weeks. According to my surgeon, you get a little banged up on the inside from them snaking the gb out of the hole.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thank you.

jns1022 01-22-2010 07:29 AM

Below my belly button incision hurt when I tried to wear jeans for several weeks. I wear low cut jeans but it seemed to be sore there so I ended up having to wear stretchy pants for awhile.