HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Diarrhoea after Gallbladder Removal (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/744152-diarrhoea-after-gallbladder-removal.html)

bexley 04-12-2010 09:17 AM

Diarrhoea after Gallbladder Removal

Hi all, newbie here. 23y/o female.

I had my gallbladder removed about 18 months ago - had been having attacks for around 10 months, but their severity increased in the last few weeks before my (emergency) surgery - turns out I had a massive infection in there!

About 6 weeks after the operation, I developed painful cramps on my lower left hand side, and frequent diarrhoea. 9 months of daily diarrhoea later, I persuaded a doctor to prescribe me Questran, which worked almost instantly, and I've been taking it ever since.

Initially, I was on one packet per day, and just before Christmas I had to lower the dose to half a packet because of constipation.

Now I seem to be heading back to the cramps and diarrhoea but also intermittent constipation, and I'm not sure what to do. I've stuck to a low fat diet, I don't drink alcohol any more, I do gentle exercise every day.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? My doctor insists that the cramps are caused by anxiety (which is nonsense) and is therefore of no real use.

I'm supposed to be going to university in September, but there's no way I can go back if I go back to how I was before - I literally couldn't leave the house.

I really thought I'd got it sorted, and now I'm terrified it's coming back :(

Any suggestions of help would be really appreciated.

SAHMof2 04-12-2010 09:34 AM

Re: Diarrhoea after Gallbladder Removal

you sound so much like my husband and myself. He had His gallbladder out in 92 and I had Mine out in 93. He had HUGE stones and I had gallbladder disease. we Both have IBS now. mine is better now that i've been more careful about the things I eat that I Know will trigger it. I would talk to your Dr about IBS and see what he says. I know of a Lot of people who have had gallbladder removed and then having problems. HUGS

bexley 04-12-2010 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=SAHMof2;4224196]you sound so much like my husband and myself. He had His gallbladder out in 92 and I had Mine out in 93. He had HUGE stones and I had gallbladder disease. we Both have IBS now. mine is better now that i've been more careful about the things I eat that I Know will trigger it. I would talk to your Dr about IBS and see what he says. I know of a Lot of people who have had gallbladder removed and then having problems. HUGS[/QUOTE]

I've had so many blood tests, and a sigmoidoscopy to look at the first section of my large intestine and everything came up fine. I'm starting to have more pains around the area where I had the pains with a gallstone attack, as well as under my ribs on my left hand side. I've been diagnosed with Bile Salt Malabsorption, hence why the Questran worked straight off, but I don't seem to be able to get the medication right, and no doctors really seem to either believe it exists or know how to treat it if they do!

gigi11 04-12-2010 02:56 PM

I take Welchol and I never have diarrehea. This is like Questran but I think better because it is just a pill. I take two pills twice a day and it takes about a month to kick in. Welchol might constipate you but as long as you eat lots of fruit like mangos you become so regular.

Sahmof2 were you tested for IBS? Alot of doctors just say you have IBS when you have your gallbladder removed and that is not the cause unless you were actually tested than that is a different story. I had try to tell me that and I went to be tested and I didn't have IBS.

SAHMof2 04-13-2010 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=gigi11;4224408]I take Welchol and I never have diarrehea. This is like Questran but I think better because it is just a pill. I take two pills twice a day and it takes about a month to kick in. Welchol might constipate you but as long as you eat lots of fruit like mangos you become so regular.

Sahmof2 were you tested for IBS? Alot of doctors just say you have IBS when you have your gallbladder removed and that is not the cause unless you were actually tested than that is a different story. I had try to tell me that and I went to be tested and I didn't have IBS.[/QUOTE]

I've never actually had any tests for IBS. Just told by my Dr that I did. Honestly didn't even know that there Was a test for IBS. hummm may have to check into that. ;) Thanks! I've thought about taking ensymes to see if that helps

gigi11 04-14-2010 04:52 AM

[QUOTE=SAHMof2;4225150]I've never actually had any tests for IBS. Just told by my Dr that I did. Honestly didn't even know that there Was a test for IBS. hummm may have to check into that. ;) Thanks! I've thought about taking ensymes to see if that helps[/QUOTE]

I was tested a year ago by colonoscopy - they can test your colon tract to see if it spasms or not. They never want to blame the gallbladder surgery for any problems and just say it is a new symptom you created. Having diarrehea after gallbladder surgery is a common side effect from the surgery. The bile goes into your intestines and it will shoot through you.

bexley 04-14-2010 07:30 AM

Things have got really bad today. Sudden onset cramps, followed by exceptionally painful spasms all along my left hand side, then watery diarrhoea for almost an entire hour.

I took one of my imodium instant tablets, but the pain continued, and I reached the point where I was having constant pain that was coming in waves across my lower stomach, that would end up with me having a small movement consisting of red flakes of what I assume was intestinal lining and mucous.

That was up until about an hour ago. Since then I've had something small to eat, my normal dose of Questran and a pint of cordial, and I'm feeling a tad more human again, but still shaky.

This isn't normal for me, and I'm worried I might be developing a form of colitis. I've made an appointment to see my GP on Monday, and I'm not taking "It's anxiety related IBS" as an answer, as I definitely wasn't anxious when this started!!!

SAHMof2 04-14-2010 08:49 AM

have they tested you for Divirticulitis? What you just described sounds So much like what my Uncle goes through and he has that.

bexley 04-14-2010 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=SAHMof2;4225517]have they tested you for Divirticulitis? What you just described sounds So much like what my Uncle goes through and he has that.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'm going to demand some more blood tests at the GP's on Monday, and ask for a full colonoscopy, as my sigmoidoscopy came back clear. Just going to have to wait forever to see someone at the hospital!

Doll Baby 04-15-2010 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=bexley;4224181]Hi all, newbie here. 23y/o female.

I had gallbladder out 2 weeks ago have diareha off and on until your body gets used to the chanses

Has anyone had whats called phantom pain i have pain in upper rt side of back people say its phantom pain also until body gets adjusted no fever or chills or vomiting any thoughts on this ?

I had my gallbladder removed about 18 months ago - had been having attacks for around 10 months, but their severity increased in the last few weeks before my (emergency) surgery - turns out I had a massive infection in there!

About 6 weeks after the operation, I developed painful cramps on my lower left hand side, and frequent diarrhoea. 9 months of daily diarrhoea later, I persuaded a doctor to prescribe me Questran, which worked almost instantly, and I've been taking it ever since.

Initially, I was on one packet per day, and just before Christmas I had to lower the dose to half a packet because of constipation.

Now I seem to be heading back to the cramps and diarrhoea but also intermittent constipation, and I'm not sure what to do. I've stuck to a low fat diet, I don't drink alcohol any more, I do gentle exercise every day.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? My doctor insists that the cramps are caused by anxiety (which is nonsense) and is therefore of no real use.

I'm supposed to be going to university in September, but there's no way I can go back if I go back to how I was before - I literally couldn't leave the house.

I really thought I'd got it sorted, and now I'm terrified it's coming back :(

Any suggestions of help would be really appreciated.[/QUOTE]

bexley 04-15-2010 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=Doll Baby;4226348][/QUOTE]

Hiya.

I still get pain occasionally, after 18 months. The human body does take a long time to heal. After 2 weeks, your body is definitely still in repair mode. It's a big surgery. I figure if I'm still getting pain after my scars have fully healed then it's worth mentioning it to a doctor, cause if I'm not fully healed on the outside, I think it's a fairly good indicator for me not being fully healed inside.

Doll Baby 04-15-2010 06:11 PM

bexley

Thank you for the info I guess I thought after two weeks all should be well. I have pain in upper right side in back it feels more like a muscle soreness not a sharp pain. I am waiting for that to leave or should I be concerned?

bexley 04-16-2010 03:43 AM

[QUOTE=Doll Baby;4226558]bexley

Thank you for the info I guess I thought after two weeks all should be well. I have pain in upper right side in back it feels more like a muscle soreness not a sharp pain. I am waiting for that to leave or should I be concerned?[/QUOTE]

If it's not sharp I wouldn't worry too much at the minute. You're definitely still healing.

If the pain becomes unbearable, then see a doctor about it. Have you got a follow up appointment with your surgeon? I had one after about 6 weeks.

bexley 04-16-2010 03:54 AM

Right, still crampy this morning, and now having managed a movement, it was followed by bloody mucus. There was a fair amount of red in there, whereas post the massive D session on Wednesday there was just a few specs on the tissue, this time there was quite a lot on the tissue.

Really worried now :( As I mentioned, got a Doctor's appointment on Monday - going to big up this bleeding as much as I can, hopefully he'll actually take me seriously.

bexley 04-19-2010 11:14 AM

Had my GP appointment today. Again, he just pushed the IBS idea, and listed off things I've already tried again and again. He relented when I started getting upset, and my blood pressure was 144/108 (norm for me is around 130/80), and agreed to at least refer me to the hospital for another scope. Then, as I ran to the loo again, he decided that actually he should ring the hospital now for an opinion.

So I spent a few hours on an assessment ward. Got sent home again, with the doctor organising another scope in the next few weeks, and agreeing that my symptoms are, in his words, much too "specific and severe" to be IBS or purely Post-Cholecystectomy Syndrome. He reckons I'm developing a type of colitis, but obv. the only way to find out is scopey goodness! Lol!

Still in pain, but have mebeverine again, so gonna take that after my 6 hour waiting period after taking Questran.

Really need to get this sorted, I'm supposed to be going to university in September but there's no way I can go if I'm like this :(