It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Fat malabsorption, anemia, and multiple other issues...please help me! :)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
    Melnwest
    (female)

Melnwest HB User
    Question Fat malabsorption, anemia, and multiple other issues...please help me! :)

Ok Health board members,

I have had problems for a few years with GERD and "IBS" and was recently diagnosed with fat malabsorption disorder from a 72 hour fecal fat test..I know gross! lol I also have had iron deficiency anemia in which I recieve IV iron..Venofer every 4-6 weeks as needed, preety reguarly now since October 2009. They have only been able to come up with that my anemia is from my GI issues. My GI doc though, does not know why I have the fat malabsorption issue and is sending me to Mayo Hospital to be evaluated by the big wigs (academic doctors) since I have had the colonoscopy..which only showed internal hemmrhoids, and my endoscopy showed gastritis, but no celiac disease....so no Inflammatory bowel disease, and I have been on antibiotics a lot recently for kidney infections and other things, so doesnt think bacterial overgrowth is the issue, and he says since my pancreas looks normal on CT scan, that he doesnt think it is from my pancreas. I still have my gallbladder, but it looks normal too....so they dont know what to do with me, and why I have the fat malabsorption. I get dehydrated though and have orthostatic hypotension and sinus tachycardia from the diarrhea, and it has a lot of undigested food and floats at times, and usually smells not so good. My uncle says he has some malabsorption problem, in which he has to take all his meds liquid form, and cannot take pills or tablets, but he asked his doctor what it is called, and they dont know the exact name, which is frustrating for me and doesnt make sense to me why they dont know the name. I also suffer from daily headaches and am on pain meds round the clock, and have kidney stones/chronic pyelonephritis, hypothyroidism, sinus polyps and have sinus infections all the time, asthma, and fibromyalgia for reference. Oh yeah, and I have had eating disorder problems, but in recovery now since June 2009, but have lost about 70 pounds since Jan 2009, so obviously my docs have been concerned.

Would appreciate anyone's help in letting me know any ideas you have with what you think might be the cause of my malabsorption and what should be done about it..any more work up I might need and should ask for.

Thanks!

Last edited by Melnwest; 04-30-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread