It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Think its GERD but whats the lump?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
jacq42
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Question Think its GERD but whats the lump?

Hi members could anyone please offer any advice at all?
Basically I was told I had acid reflux whilst having heart scans etc a few years ago,however it hasn't affected me until now. I always eat well but only small amounts and never eat salt as I don't like it but for the past month I haven't been able to swallow and I have immense pain in the esophegos,back and ribs.
I also have a swollen colon which for some reason the dr thinks I'm constipated but I go regularly and you can't be constipated for two years surely?
I went to see my own doctor who confirmed all of these things but also found a lump to the lower right of my tummy button,she has now referred me for urgent camera down throat and abdominal and pelvic scans.
I won't pretend I'm not worried as even oramorph won't shift this pain, and to add to this I had a tumour in my tummy (hydatitiform molar pregnancy) when I was 17 then a goyter the size of a tennis ball on the thyroid when I was 18,luckily both were benign but I do know that I have a 50% chance of developing stomach cancer later on in life due to this.
Can anyone even tell me what its like to get the camera down th throat?
Please help
Jacq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
rufous57
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Think its GERD but whats the lump?

Hopefully you are seeing a Gastroenterologist for your concerns about GERD/Acid Reflux, I do not have Gerd myself, but I have had a few EKG's/stress tests and Echo Stress test done and I can't envision either test revealing reflux? Have you had a CT Scan or MRI done yet?

RE: constipation? Most people don't get enough dietary fiber (30grams) you might ask your doctor about the appropriate servings of fruit,vegetables, whole grains and fiber supplements such as Metamucil or Citrucel, and also drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water as it helps prevent constipation.

I had an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy done at the same time, I was given warm blankets prior and a movie to watch; I did not feel a thing, they knock you out, so it was not a problem for me. The next thing I remember is being given soda crackers and ginger ale...

My advice would be see the GI, get the necessary tests and good luck - let us know how you're doing.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jacq42
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
Hopefully you are seeing a Gastroenterologist for your concerns about GERD/Acid Reflux, I do not have Gerd myself, but I have had a few EKG's/stress tests and Echo Stress test done and I can't envision either test revealing reflux? Have you had a CT Scan or MRI done yet?

RE: constipation? Most people don't get enough dietary fiber (30grams) you might ask your doctor about the appropriate servings of fruit,vegetables, whole grains and fiber supplements such as Metamucil or Citrucel, and also drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water as it helps prevent constipation.

I had an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy done at the same time, I was given warm blankets prior and a movie to watch; I did not feel a thing, they knock you out, so it was not a problem for me. The next thing I remember is being given soda crackers and ginger ale...

My advice would be see the GI, get the necessary tests and good luck - let us know how you're doing.
Thank you for the reply,yes I had many heart scans,ECG`s etc due to angina,that's when they found out about the acid reflux,it has never bothered me up until a couple of months ago.
The constipation began after been given morphine patches for my other conditions so I got some senna pills off my doctor, prior to that I had irritable bowel syndrome but I go to the toilet ok.
Years ago I had an endoscopy and laproscopy as I've had a hydatitiform molar pregnancy, where there's no baby but a tumour,they only found scar tissue.
I've also fractured my pubic bone,that really hurt.
So as you can see I've had my fair share .
Your right it is a gasterenterologist I'm seeing for the throat camera then someone else for the abdominal and pelvic scans.
Sorry to waffle on I just wanted to show you the bigger picture
Many thanks for your reply
Take care
Jacq

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
rufous57
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Glad to hear your seeing a GI Doctor and getting the testing done. Please let us know how you're doing and hope you get some answers soon!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
jacq42
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
Glad to hear your seeing a GI Doctor and getting the testing done. Please let us know how you're doing and hope you get some answers soon!
Hi all well I had the endoscopy today, want a plesant experience but neither wa it painful.
I've had biopsies taken of the small bowel and from the duodenum to caeliac,basically told there was nothing seen during the test however there was a lot of mucus.
The advice on my discharge sheet was as follows, normal examination, clo test taken please treat if h pylori positive, second part of duodenum biopsies to exclude caeliac was taken, chase histology please.
Now I'm not dumb but I don't understand what all this means,I was only home ten minutes when they rang for me to return to see th consultant in two days time,very quick I thought.
My breathing and swallowing is a lot better for now so was it just that my throat needed a good clean out,or that there was nothing to cause this?
I did have painful symptoms as mentioned previously oramorph wouldn't make it better so what's happend to make it go?
I'm very confused, still waiting for scan on tummy for lump too
Best wishes
Jacq

Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
jacq42
(female)

Question Re: Think its GERD but whats the lump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq42 View Post
Hi all well I had the endoscopy today, want a plesant experience but neither wa it painful.
I've had biopsies taken of the small bowel and from the duodenum to caeliac,basically told there was nothing seen during the test however there was a lot of mucus.
The advice on my discharge sheet was as follows, normal examination, clo test taken please treat if h pylori positive, second part of duodenum biopsies to exclude caeliac was taken, chase histology please.
Now I'm not dumb but I don't understand what all this means,I was only home ten minutes when they rang for me to return to see th consultant in two days time,very quick I thought.
My breathing and swallowing is a lot better for now so was it just that my throat needed a good clean out,or that there was nothing to cause this?
I did have painful symptoms as mentioned previously oramorph wouldn't make it better so what's happend to make it go?
I'm very confused, still waiting for scan on tummy for lump too
Best wishes
Jacq
hi all again well its been 7 hours sice the endoscopy and the pain is coming back,why is this happening,anyone else experienced this?
pains in the back,ribs,tummy and the lump in the throat feeling,do they just tell you all is ok at the hospital so you dont worry?
Is this why im back so quick (2 days) for results?
Please any help would be great
jacq

Closed Thread