It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder, IBS, High Hida Scan???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
    sickofnausea
    (female)

sickofnausea HB User
    Gallbladder, IBS, High Hida Scan???

I have been ill for over five months now. My symptoms started out with foul "dead corpse like" gas (60+ times a day!!!), bloating (I can literally watch my abdomen move with the bubbles), extreme fatigue, and change in bowel movements. Bowels went from normal and daily to coming once every 5 days and with a greasy consistency. Once every two weeks or so I would either throw up or have severe nausea. If I threw up the symptoms disappeared for about a week.

GI sent me for a Colonoscopy and EGD. After these tests were run the gas was still an issue but the corpse like smell disappeared. First bowel movement after the test was partially white. After that they returned to normal color and the frequency changed from once every 5 days and greasy to 2 - 3 times a day and extremely constipated.

The nausea/vomiting has continued to increase in frequency and severity. It now strikes every 4 to 5 days and comes approximately 5 - 30 minutes after eating. The severity lasts about 30 minutes and then dies down to a dull upset stomach. Headaches typically start up after the nausea as well. The fatigue is continuing to get worse too.

I also have a good amount of lower back pain which to this point I have not attributed to the gastric issues but now I have started to wonder if it is related.

Tests: Colonoscopy - normal; EGD - Grade 1 Esophasgitis and minimal chronis gastritis. Blood work - normal. Ultrasound - normal. Hida scan with CCK 98%.

I have read conflicting information about high hida scan results. My doctor seems to think it is normal and there is no such thing as a hyperactive gall bladder. She wants to write it off as IBS but in my gut (ha, ha) I believe there is a bigger issue going on.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Also thoughts on hida scan % would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Last edited by sickofnausea; 11-22-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder, IBS, High Hida Scan???

Anything over 75% on the HIDA is considered non functioning. The vast majority of doctors will refer for surgery at that. Is this your GP or a gastro?[

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
    sickofnausea
    (female)

sickofnausea HB User

The GI thinks the 98% is normal. I talked to my GP who believes anything over 35% is good. I am seeing new doc tomorrow.

Last edited by sickofnausea; 11-22-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Auto spell

Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just noticed - no ultrasound? That's odd...they normally do that first and HIDA after if no stones show up.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
    sickofnausea
    (female)

sickofnausea HB User

Had an ultrasound as well. It was normal.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
    Collector167
    (male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

It is good to hear that you are going to see another doctor about this; the first doctor is flat out wrong. Hopefully you have found a Gastroenterologist who knows what they are talking about. As Titchou points out you have an abnormally high HIDA scan and the gallbladder either needs to be treated or removed. I'm not sure what the explanation is for why the gallbladder becomes overactive.

Essentially your gallbladder is emptying out all the way when it receives the cck signal from the intestines to contract. This means that you have extra bile released into your digestive system. Bile has an important role which is to break down fat for digestion. However, too much bile being released at once is a bad thing--it is rather powerful and nasty stuff.

One of the nurses that works for my gastro doctor has this problem and they are treating her with ursodiol. I was a little surprised to learn this as this is the same medicine that they are giving me for a sluggish gallbladder.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
    sickofnausea
    (female)

sickofnausea HB User

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully tomorrow's appointment will go well. I have been living on Zofran for two days straight!

Closed Thread