It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Getting my gallbladder removed next week. I am terrified.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
    brookiecookie
    (female)

brookiecookie HB User
    Getting my gallbladder removed next week. I am terrified.

I've had stomach problems for awhile now. Gassy, bloated, constipation, and once in awhile mucus in my stool, along with constipation at the same time. Recently I've started having heartburn which I never used to get. The past few months or so, whenever I ate too much, especially greasy food or drink too much carbonation, I would get HORRIBLE stomach pains in the night. They would start in my back then move to the front under my ribs and right in the middle of my abdomen. THEY WERE AWFUL. They only happen maybe once a month, so I thought I was fine and just blamed it on bad trapped gas from eating too much.

Well, it happened again a week ago. This time it was the worst....started at about 10:30 pm and instead of getting better it kept getting worse and worse... I could barely breathe. I was pale, shakey, and sweating. I started to throw up. It just felt like something needed to come out! I ended up going to the ER at about 5:30 am. They asked me questions, took my blood, hooked me up to an IV, gave me some morphine (good stuff...), and then decided to do a sonogram. Before the sonogram, the doctor was already sure it was my gallbladder...well he was right. A bunch of little gallstones showed up on the sonogram. GROSS. But I was relieved because I knew it wasn't just gas. They checked my liver with the blood test and that was fine. I just have gallstones...those little bastards.

I made an appointment with a surgeon and she highly suggested I get the gallbladder out before they get worse. And especially if I want kids someday, she said it is not good news to have gallstones while pregnant...I am only 22, but yeah, I do want to be a mom someday and I never want to feel that horrible pain ever again! I wanted to die. I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out next week. Laproscopically. I wasn't too scared at first, but then I've been reading online all the horror stories of people who have had them out and how miserable they are now. Constant diarrhea, stomach pains, can't eat without running to the bathroom, weight gain. AHHH I am also nervous about going back to work afterwards...I will have 9 days off for this surgery. Is that good? I will also be permitted light duty for 10 days when I go back....I'm a hotel housekeeper so I'm on my feet 6 hours a day.

I do want the gallbladder gone, but I am SO NERVOUS about what it will do to my body afterwards!!! Anyone here have a successful gallbladder removal? I would love to hear it...thank you so much. And God bless anyone who took the time read this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
    Re: Getting my gallbladder removed next week. I am terrified.

Thank goodness your doctor made the correct diagnosis! It took 2 years for doctors to figure out my gallbladder wasn't functioning. Anyway, I would recommend a low fat diet before and after your surgery, at least for the first 2 months, then gradually add fats to your diet. I thought I was dying before my surgery and there is no way I regret having it now. It took a few months and some weird gas pains and I had to change my eating to low fat and avoid certain trigger foods, such as chocolate, coffee, spicy foods, tomato based sauces, citrus fruit and raw salads but at the end of the day, I would do it again in a heartbeat and I am the biggest chicken in the world, and I got through it with minimal discomfort!

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

I don't get where people say they gain weight after the surgery though!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
    brookiecookie
    (female)

brookiecookie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
    Thank goodness your doctor made the correct diagnosis! It took 2 years for doctors to figure out my gallbladder wasn't functioning. Anyway, I would recommend a low fat diet before and after your surgery, at least for the first 2 months, then gradually add fats to your diet. I thought I was dying before my surgery and there is no way I regret having it now. It took a few months and some weird gas pains and I had to change my eating to low fat and avoid certain trigger foods, such as chocolate, coffee, spicy foods, tomato based sauces, citrus fruit and raw salads but at the end of the day, I would do it again in a heartbeat and I am the biggest chicken in the world, and I got through it with minimal discomfort!

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

I don't get where people say they gain weight after the surgery though!
    Thanks! I have definitely been watching what I eat since my visit to the ER. I've lost almost 10 lbs from it...haha. Hey maybe I can lose more after the surgery, I need it! Still so scared though. I dunno. Surgery is just freaky and I don't want to have to worry about running to the toilet every second afterwards...I want a life...lol

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know what kind of shape you are in now but I jog and work out a lot. I had mine out at age 59 and jogged 2 miles one week later. Couldn't life anything heavy for about 3 weeks but otherwise was fine. Off work only 2-1/2 days...but I was in sales so that was OK.

Be sure to eat as low fat as possible for about 3 weeks after the surgery. That will ease your system and then you can slowly add it back. I can eat anything I want now.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Husband and I have both had ours out about 3 years apart and it was the easiest surgery I've even had(and I've had a bunch). Got to the hospital at 6:30am and was home by 1pm. Took nothing more than Tylenol for pain. Ate light for a few weeks as did hubby.

Now, he can eat whatever and I find my digestive track prefers a low fat diet but I rarely avoid anything. Avoided much more prior to surgery. This was one organ we were both glad to get rid of.

All I can say is it was easy and I'm glad it's gone and I've never looked back! Him too.

Jenny

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
    brookiecookie
    (female)

brookiecookie HB User

Thanks everyone. I am still nervous, but ready to get it over with.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I agree that it was the easiest surgery I've ever had as well. I've had a tonsillectomy and an abdominal myomectomy, both of which were so much worse, it's not even funny. The gallbladder surgery was such a piece of cake, I kept saying - is that it? I was at the hospital at 6:30 am and they were literally kicking me out by 11:45 am. I was not completely awake from the anesthesia so I slept the rest of the day at home in my own bed. I didn't even need to take the darvocet they gave me for pain because I didn't have much that couldn't be helped by regular ibuprofen.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
    Ness78
    (female)

Ness78 HB User

Hi
    I am also having my gallbladder removed next week on the 18th of Jan, and am having major anxiety. Ive been reading all the posts about successful gallbladder removals and it helps a little. I hope it all goes smoothly, with no complications and your recovery is quick.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
    LellyM
    (female)

LellyM HB User
    Cool Re: Getting my gallbladder removed next week. I am terrified.

I had mine removed 4 weeks ago and it is the best thing ever. I didn't realise how bad I felt until the little bugger had gone. Now I have energy again. I had been diagnosed bith Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) and Depression a couple of years ago and all of those symptoms have gone.

I can eat pretty much anything I want now with no side effects. OK, had a bit of a reaction to a chinese meal yesterday but other than that i am fine. AND, to add to it I have lost a stone in weight in 2 weeks! I am not eating particularly low fat so I don't know why!!!

I feel fabulous!

Lxx

Old 03-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
    Tribalbob
    (male)

Tribalbob HB User

Brookie, and Ness; there's absolutely NOTHING to be worried about - trust me, this will be the best decision of your life

I had mine out a month and two days ago and I'm feeling great. I had my first 'greasy' meal last night (not OVERLY greasy, but pretty damn fatty ) and had zero issues of any kind after.

I reiterate this so many times because I fell into the same trap: Do NOT google gallbladder after stories. You will only read horror stories, and the 'bad' outcomes affect such a small percentage of people. So many of us have had this done and turned out just fine (see those who have responded so far).

Just think how great it'll be to be free of these attacks.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
    LellyM
    (female)

LellyM HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Getting my gallbladder removed next week. I am terrified.

That is completely true and you are both youngsters so will recover quickly. I was considerably older. My tonsills were much worse. The main thing is to give your self as much time as YOU feel you need to recover. OK, we have said 3 days and yr fine but we are all different. Someone I work with took twice as long as I did as did my best friend (and we are the same age). So don't feel under pressure from anyone to conform. If you need to snooze do so, but do try to walk around. it will help prevent clots and will help the gas leave yr body (I got a bit of mild shoulder pain from that but less than waking up with a sore neck from a bad pillow!).

So stay positive. Once it is all done you will wonder what you were worrying about.

Let us know how ya get on.

Lxx

Closed Thread