It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder or other....help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
    Osprey1
    (female)

Osprey1 HB User
    Gallbladder or other....help please

I have been having problems since last September.....right side pain, gas, loose stools, low grade nausea, "attacks"like flushes usually at night....feels like i'm having a heart attack....low appetite, pain below shouler to between shoulder blades, fatigue. I eat very little fat. Sometimes I feel worse after eating a higher fat meal, sometimes it doesn't bother me except for loose stools. I feel lousy all the time. I do not get the throwing up and doubling over pain. Ultrasound in October indicated small gallstones, possible thickening but wasn't real conclusive. HIDA scan in November was 35% (Hida in 2007 was 76%). CT scan showed nothing. Had full cardiac work up, no issue. Had upper endoscopy with no signs of reflux, no ulcer. I am also in the midst of menopause. Gastro says probably gallbladder and sent me back to a surgeon. Over the course of these months, one surgeon says take it out, 2nd surgeon said no way because the tests aren't conclusive, 3rd surgeon says the tests can be misleading but the only way to find out is to have the surgery and she has me scheduled for surgery next Friday. She has assured me the the risk of complications is low. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I leave for 6 weeks on vacation and am afraid a)that the surgery will not fix the problem and b) I won't be ready for my trip. It's just so frustrating not to have a definitive answer. Any suggestions out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder or other....help please

When is your trip? And it certainly appears that your gallbladder is losing function. So it should help.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
    Osprey1
    (female)

Osprey1 HB User

I leave 5 1/2 weeks after surgery for 2 weeks out West......plan to do a fair amount of day hikes. I'm worried that the surgery will not resolve my problems and may make things worse but I'm tired of feeling poorly. The docs appear to not put a great deal of faith in any test including HIDA and give differing opinions. It's these "flushing" attacks that really bother me.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you are going on the trip anyway, I doubt having your gb out will make any negative difference. If it doesn't help, then you are just where you are now. Is your gb bad enough to remove according to the HIDA? I'd say that's borderline but the telling thing is that it has lost 40% of function in 5 years. Obviously something is going on with it. I'd have it out and at least get that out of the way and not have to worry about having an emergency situation with it.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
    Osprey1
    (female)

Osprey1 HB User

Thanks. The drop in HIDA seemed suggestive to me. I guess with the HIDA at 35%, which is borderline, the test results aren't overly compelling for removal. Apparently some surgeons want a HIDA in the 20s before suggesting removal. It's not like they saw sludge or a ton of stones on the ultrasound. Plus the surgeons seemed real dismissive of the HIDA test in general. If I were vomiting and in severe doubling over pain like a lot of folks on this board it would be out tomorrow. I've also got estrogen surges and uterine issues going on but I wouldn't think the pain would refer that far up.

Closed Thread

Tags
    digestive problems, gallbladder experiences, gallbladder surgery, hida scan