It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Post Gallbladder Removal Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
    Ztwhite92
    (male)

Ztwhite92 HB User
    Thumbs down Post Gallbladder Removal Pain

8/13/2013

Let me start by saying I am not one who likes going to see a doctor. I am only 20 years old and the only time I have been stuck with a needle is for my routine vaccinations. I was terrified of needles before all this.

I am... ...was a normal healthy young guy before all this.

3 months ago in May I started experiencing a dull ache in my upper right side. It would radiate from my chest to my spine and all around my right side. The pain was a dull pressure that at times would become sharp and hurt very bad. The pain was constant and never got better. At times it would become worse, then let up a bit. However, the pain / discomfort was always there.

When the pain became excruciating one morning, I went to the doctor and he told me that I was experiencing gas pain. I also told him I had been having trouble with Acid Reflux so he put me on Omeprazole 20mg daily. He told me that if I had a stomach ulcer the medicine would take care of it. Well, I went exactly a week and the pain never stopped. I went back to the doctor in more pain than before and he decided to draw blood, and send me out for an ultrasound and a chest x-ray.

My x-ray came back clear, but my ultrasound showed that I had a stone in the neck of my gallbladder and sludge all inside of my gallbladder. My bloodwork also showed that I had an elevated bilirubin level. They told me that my gallbladder needed to come out and referred me to a surgeon. The following week I met with a surgeon who explained why my gallbladder needed to come out (Due to the stone, pain, and bilirubin levels) so I had the surgery.

After recovering for a week, I went to my follow up appointment with the doctor and explained to him that I still had the same exact pain. It was not as bad as before, but definitely still there. He told me that it was nothing to worry about and that if it still hurt in 6 weeks to come back.

It still hurt 6 weeks later so I went back to see him. He told me there was nothing he could do and referred me out to a G.I. doctor. I went to the G.I. doctor and he order another Ultrasound, an Endoscopy and more bloodwork... I went to my follow up appointment with the GI today and he told me that my bloodwork showed a raised indirect bilirubin level in my blood, I appeared to have a slight case of gastritis from the endoscopy, but no bacteria was present. My ultrasound came back clear.

Why am I still in pain? I am 3 months post op and still experience the same pain. When I am up and moving around it doesn't hurt. It just feels like something is tight under my ribs. When I sit the pain gradually hurts more and more until I have to stand up or lay down. It hurts to lay on my right side still.

I am so tired of being in pain! Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
    AL Lymie
    (female)

AL Lymie HB UserAL Lymie HB User
    Re: Post Gallbladder Removal Pain

My husband had very similar symptoms before and after having his gallbladder removed. After many months of research they determined that he has a floating rib on that side that sometimes gets stuck in the wrong place and causes him the same pains you described. He was sent to a physical therapist who taught him how to stretch that side of his body with exercises which releases it from its current painful position. It works. Doesn't happen too often anymore. So you might have something simple going on that will just take some time to figure out, but in the meantime causes lots of discomfort. It is good you had the gallbladder removed though because if you had that much sludge and an actual stone you would only have ended up in much worse pain at some point. That's what happened to me. It was horrible and in the middle of the night. Not fun. What type of doctors have you been seeing for this pain since having the gallbladder removed?

Closed Thread

Tags
    abdominal pain, bilirubin, endoscopy, gallbladder, liver