It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Problems after gallbladder removal and pain...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
    pjb2457
    (female)

pjb2457 HB User
    Problems after gallbladder removal and pain...

Hi, this is my first post about my problems and pains after having my GB removed almost 9 months ago...and i am in so much pain at almost 2am i qm hoping typing will be the distraction i need to ease the pain.

Skip back about 4yr ago, hospitalised for 3 weeks with lower lobe pneumonia and following a routine chest xray and ultrasound was told i had a 2.2mm gallstone. Surprise to me as i had no pain at all.

Zip forward to May 2012 and starting to feel some discomfort eating bread and other foods, abdominal pain and acid so was given lanzapazole for the reflux and told that if i wanted the GB could come out. Thought about it for a while as i am a bit frightened of surgery, at 45yr never having had any. The pain started to get worse and went for consultation and approved for surgery in Dec 2012.

Then my life fell to bits. Totally unexpected experience. Watched the procedure pre-op on *******, great can handle that but failed to read up further about after effects...major error!

Post op pain in recovery was horrendous..still feel embarrassed for my drug dozed language coming round, the pain was the worst ever. Apparently my GB wouldn't come out easy so i had 5 holes to try and allow more manipulation to get it out, plenty of tugging the recovery nurse said.!

Pain like nothing else for a few days from the anaesthetic trapped in my chest but that eased, then a few more days of pain from the surgery but nothing too extreme. All ok, stitches out on time seemed to be coping well with eating. I was never a big dairy fan so nothing missed there from me. The odd fatty meal caused a quick dash to the loo but soon got a grip of the wrong foods at the time.

Then came the pains about 3 months after the op. Severe cramping on the right side and middle of my abdomen close to the lap scars. We lnt to GP who said i had adhesions!?! Never heard of them. Apparently its the blood that drips on the inside of the lap scars and as it congeals it can cause internal organs (namely your bowels) to stick to the congealed blood that then acts like rubber strands holding your organs and the stomach wall together. So at night when you lay on your side all your organs slide and rest on this sticky mess. When you get up or turn over your organs then twist whilst still attached. Pain.

This pain also comes when you eat and your bowels naturally contract as it pushes the food round, however due to your bowel being attached to your stomach wall it cant contract as it should ao sometimes will twist awkwardly...hence the pain.!

Dr said more surgery can be had to snip these adhesions, but then you are at risk of more adhesions from the new surgery.. Advice was learn to handle the pain.

Ok, devastated about my new alarm call, as i mainly got the pain in the morning before getting out of bed. I resigned myself to having to live with this pain. I eased it by not eating any large amount of food past 6pm, so that my food would be well digested by morning. I also love to drink water with loads of ice so added an extra pint per day to ensure i didn't get constipated. This really helped with the pain to a point that i almost stopped getting it. This almost pain free period lasted about a month.

3 months ago i had a new pain coming in the mornings. I usually get up about 6am due to having a 2yr old who wakes that time every morning, sometimes earlier. So the pain seems similar to previously but lasts about 10mins and feels like a cramp more under my right hand side rib. Cant seem to do anything to ease it. Its now so bad that maybe 4 times per week i get it. I can feel it coming on and the pain gradually builds up over a 5 min period to the full blown pain from right side rib across my chest just under ribs and right down my left side. This pain is intense and lasts for about 30mins.

Dr says adhesions in large bowel as it fits in with the area of pain. The pain is totally crippling and even though the pain lasts around 30mins it totally effects the rest of the day.

So the point at which i found myself awake in the early hours was due to a major acid reflux attack one that i have not had at all since before my surgery. I am still taking the lanzaprazole 30mg daily and had not eaten anything with a high fat content at all.

So today i feel depressed at the thought of having this pain in my life and facing a totally fat free diet to eliminate any future acid attacks.

I know these symptoms are not standard for everyone having GB removal, but i wish i had known what to expect and how to deal with things like maybe being put on a different diet to help eliminate certain pains i don't know. I just feel sometimes that something else is wrong like stones stuck in the bile duct or worse, rather than pain being passed off as standard pain.

I cant help but feel if i had read my own post prior to surgery i might have had the extra excuse not to go through with the op, but would hope i would have had enough questions to ask the drs in pre-op rather than just accepting what they say and being blind to any future problems and saying "no questions, i am fine thank you"...

Pen

Last edited by pjb2457; 08-17-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: to finish my post due to flat battery in initial posting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread