It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Gall bladder pain on the left?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
kookykitty83
(female)

kookykitty83 HB User
Gall bladder pain on the left?

Hi everyone!

After over a month of having a constant ache in my upper right abdominal area, blood tests were done which revealed slightly elevated liver counts, and then an ultrasound showed two 2cm gallstones in my gallbladder. So, after a meeting with the surgeon, I have to have my gallbladder removed next week.

Over the last two months I've adopted a low-fat diet, and it has helped with the aching I have in the gallbladder area. Now though, I'm noticing I've also been having sharp stabbing pains and other general aches on the LEFT side of my body (under ribs down to my pelvic bone.) Has anyone else felt this? I ended up going to the ER one night because the pain was relentless and I was honestly scared my spleen was infected or something. Blood tests and an ultrasound concluded all my organs were fine (except for the gallbladder with it's stones.)

The doctors didn't think my gallbladder was causing the left sided pain, but no one could give me an explanation for why it's still there. Has anyone else experienced pain in other parts of their body like this, due to gallstones? I've even had the stabbing pains in the lower middle abdominal area too. It's just so frustrating! I hope these sensations ease up after my surgery.

Oh, and if ANY of you have had a positive experience after gall bladder removal, can you please let me know? I've been reading horror story after horror story online and it's kind of freaking me out.

Last edited by kookykitty83; 06-11-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Jeden
(female)

Jeden HB User
Re: Gall bladder pain on the left?

I sometimes had some pain on the left, nothing major though. Other patient accounts sometimes report feeling it on the left more so than on the right. I suspect it has a lot to do with how the nerves run in our bodies (we aren't built exactly the same and if your nerves are placed in such a way that aggravation in the GB irritates them, you can see a different than usual pain pattern<---that's a really simplified explanation).

I wouldn't worry about it. You checked out fine.

As for post surgery horror stories...

I'm on week 2 of recovery. It's okay. I had bile dumping (where you pee yellow bile out of your butt and can't go anywhere because of it) and am on medication that helps with that (thank God). Odds are that will improve with time.

I am eating mostly normally. Salad doesn't seem to digest though. Last night I had 3 pieces of pizza and ice cream, which I'm gluten intolerant so that was a huge no-no. Plus a lot of fat.

My body is fine. Except for the gluten side effects which don't have anything to do with the GB removal.

The thing to remember is your body has to figure out digestion w/o a GB. Some bodies adapt really well. Some don't. It's a crap shoot. The adjustment can take 3-4 weeks from what I'm told. There's no way to know how it will go until you do it.

Also, many of the horror stories I see online are people who need to go back to the doctor and be assessed for things like Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Some of the horror stories have more going on than just GB removal but they don't realize it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeden For This Useful Post:
kookykitty83 (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
kookykitty83
(female)

kookykitty83 HB User

Thanks for your response! I've read about the "bile dumping" and I'll be sure to spend most of my time near a toilet during recovery. I just pray I'm not one of those people who will be afflicted with the "yellow runs" for the rest of my life. I already have IBS problems, and I'm so worried it'll just get worse and worse after surgery. Best of luck on your healing and quick recovery, Jeden!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Jeden
(female)

Jeden HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykitty83 View Post
The first thing I thought it might be was pancreas! But my blood work was fine, and the ultrasound showed my pancreas looking normal. Ahh... stupid gall bladder. I can't believe how many issues this little thing can cause.
Having had pancreatitis with normal blood work (but abnormal CT scan) it might still be aggravated. A mild case can have weak or absent clinical markers.

Eat low fat and bland and see if it helps.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Jeden
(female)

Jeden HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your response! I've read about the "bile dumping" and I'll be sure to spend most of my time near a toilet during recovery. I just pray I'm not one of those people who will be afflicted with the "yellow runs" for the rest of my life. I already have IBS problems, and I'm so worried it'll just get worse and worse after surgery. Best of luck on your healing and quick recovery, Jeden!
Definitely talk to your GI about how IBS may be affected by GB removal. I think GB removal can be an issue.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had mine out 9 years ago and have had no problems. I'm glad the thing is gone. Be sure to continue on the low/no fat diet until 2-3 weeks after the removal. Eating fat too soon can cause the problems you've read about online.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
kookykitty83
(female)

kookykitty83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I had mine out 9 years ago and have had no problems. I'm glad the thing is gone. Be sure to continue on the low/no fat diet until 2-3 weeks after the removal. Eating fat too soon can cause the problems you've read about online.
Thanks! I definitely will. I've already lost about 20 pounds on this diet, so I'm planning on keeping up with the no-fat lifestyle for as long as I can.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I never had left sided pain
As to after effects of surgery, no problems there...I was just mega relieved to see the back of my gallbladder

I am suffering from acid/bile reflux however, some 4 years after surgery...which may or may not be connected to the surgery

Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
miniguy
(male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I had mine out over five months ago and it was fine, surgery was easy and required no pain meds. All issues from the surgery resolved quickly and it did what it was supposed to do. Keep in mind internal healing takes 6 to 8 weeks although the incisions heal a good deal quicker.

The Following User Says Thank You to miniguy For This Useful Post:
kookykitty83 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
kookykitty83
(female)

kookykitty83 HB User

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow afternoon. I'm quite nervous, but have been having sharp pains for the last three days, regardless of sticking to a low-fat diet. I'm terrified of the surgery, but I'm definitely ready to have this horrible little GB out.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
miniguy
(male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

Quote:
Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow afternoon. I'm quite nervous, but have been having sharp pains for the last three days, regardless of sticking to a low-fat diet. I'm terrified of the surgery, but I'm definitely ready to have this horrible little GB out.
The surgery is truly a non issue, get up and walk around after. I went to a friends retirement dinner party two days after mine. Tummy is a bit ouchy, after all they do make four little holes, but I have had dermatologic surgery that was much more painful as well as wisdom teeth extractions.

The Following User Says Thank You to miniguy For This Useful Post:
kookykitty83 (06-30-2014)
Closed Thread

Tags
gallbladder, gallbladder attack, gallbladder experiences, gallbladder pain, gallbladder pain on right and left side