It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Gallstones, seeing a surgeon tomorrow, how soon can I schedule surgery?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Chesa
(female)

Chesa HB User
Gallstones, seeing a surgeon tomorrow, how soon can I schedule surgery?

This past Saturday night/Sunday morning (8/3/2014 12:30 am) I went into the ER with my second full on gallstone attack. Having gone through natural childbirth I can say a gallstone attack is MUCH worse, and believe me I never thought I would say that.
So this was my second attack but first time seeing a doctor for it. The first was equally as bad but I passed it off as a one time thing as I hate hospitals and tests. The first was only a few weeks to a month before the second. When I got to the ER everything happened really fast, I was in agony and described the pain as having started in my upper abdominal area at about 1pm, at first it was like one constant cramp and throughout the day became more and more intense as it moved up to my chest, back and shoulder. Upon hearing chest pain I was given an EKG and dilaudid was administered. The EKG was sloppy as I could not sit still but the doc said it would do. He did a tummy pressure "test" which revealed that the pain was coming from just under my right ribs. They then did a blood and urine test. After That a chest x-ray and cat scan. The cat scan showed the gallstones so the doc then sent me for an ultrasound to see if the gallbladder was inflamed/infected which it was not.
So after six hours in the ER I was discharged with pain and nausea meds and referred to a surgeon which I called on Monday (8/4/2014) and have an appointment with tomorrow (8/8/2014) morning.
Now knowing that I have gallstones I'm sure I've had many milder attacks in the past. This week I have kept to the low fat diet the doc recommended but am still having pain. I have been able to keep it in check for the most part with the pain meds prescribed. I have not been eating much because I'm terrified that I'll have another attack so I'm feeling very drained and a little crabby.
Anyhow my reason for posting is because since Sunday I have spent hours researching gallstones and the surgery and have had all my questions and concerns answered except for one. Now I know it'll be different for everyone and every doctor but I really would like to have the gallbladder removed asap, I don't work presently and the kids are out of school so for me now or before school starts would be the best time to have the surgery. Also the prospect of another attack sends me into cold sweats. So can anyone give me an idea of how long I'll have to wait? Again I know the time frame will depend largely on the doctor and patient but an estimate would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
MommaJR
(female)

MommaJR HB User
Re: Gallstones, seeing a surgeon tomorrow, how soon can I schedule surgery?

Hi Chesa! If the first surgeon you see cannot schedule surgery ASAP then see another surgeon! At least in my area there's a lot of GI surgeons to choose from. I believe I only had to wait about 10 days for 'my pick of the crop' who only does surgery 2 days a week. I bet once you explain your situation and the timing issue the surgeon or one of her/his colleagues will be able to schedule you soon. Hope you get fast action tomorrow!!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Chesa
(female)

Chesa HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'll post after my appointment, hopefully I don't have to wait too long. I've heard of people having to wait 4 weeks or more!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Chesa
(female)

Chesa HB User

Just got back from the surgeon and I have my surgery scheduled for Thursday the 14th!!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
TheMrs82
(female)

TheMrs82 HB User

How did it go? I had my surgery on 8/15...still sore and moving slowly, but getting better each day.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Chesa
(female)

Chesa HB User

It went well, I had mine the day before you. The belly button incision is the most tender of course. I started getting back to my chores yesterday. I'm going slow but much better. I got pictures of my gallbladder and stones, not sure if I can but I'll post them if possible.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
TheMrs82
(female)

TheMrs82 HB User

Do you still have gas and gas pains? I seem to burp all day but I'm still feeling the sharp gas pains in my shoulders and abdomen sometimes.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Chesa
(female)

Chesa HB User

I was gassy but my that has gone down although I still haven't had a #2. I never did get the gas pain in my shoulder though.

Closed Thread

Tags
gallbladder attack, gallstones