It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Chronic pain on right side rib area

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
    larz468
    (male)

larz468 HB User
    Chronic pain on right side rib area

I've been having this tender pain sometimes sharp or feels more like a bruise by the lower side right side rib area. When I stand up the pain feels like its outside the right side rib cage area and when I lay down I can pinpoint the pain easily while pushing down the lower side of my ribs on the right side.
    At times the pain will go away and won't bother me until I push on it.
    Sneezing, twising my body, laying on my right side and coughing will cause it to hurt briefly.
    It has been chronic and I've had it for almost 2 years now.
    I've had several blood work, I had at least 3-4 ct scans in 2 years, ultrasound and x-rays. All normal. Back in late 2014 I had a fatty liver which I beat by intense workout and intense dieting. Second evaluation showed no fatty liver.
    I blamed the pain for that,but doctors said livers don't have pain receptors.
    I am overweight still. I was 180lbs at 5'4 and now I am 155. I am still 15lbs overweight and for years I have sucked in my stomach. I wonder if sucking in my stomach can result to this.
    Before this rib pain, I was getting over a really bad cough, bad enough that I was coughing up blood with mucus,but it was only for under 30 seconds and went way. I also quit smoking before that time.
    I also read this one article if its rib related and if its chronic, its a high chance it could be a bone cancer,but cancer does not run in my family.
    I have 2 sisters, 1 older brother who are healthy. My dad, my mom and their parents before them do not have a cancer history.
    This pain is not an emergency situation,but more like an annoyance and its really bothersome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Chronic pain on right side rib area

How about a HIDA Scan for gallbladder function?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
    larz468
    (male)

larz468 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    How about a HIDA Scan for gallbladder function?
    I also noted to the doctors about the gallbladder,but with all my blood work and ultrasound. My bile ducts and everything liver related are unremarkable.
    My symptoms are not related to a gallbladder they said. Plus a hida scan is radioactive and my doctors told me to chill for awhile since I've had several ct scans and xrays before.

Just to adD I was tested for celiac, h.pylori, hepathis b and c and also tested for my hormones, glucose. All were normal and even higher than normal.
    Doctors said I am healthy a guy.
    But doesn't feel like it as I am always tired, feel sick, all these symptoms started showing up after quitting smoking.
    I was also diagnosed for anxiety. As I've had other symptoms reason for ct scans before and x-rays. I had heart attack symptoms and stroke symptoms,but my cardiologist said my arteries are beautiful and clean.
    So I'm also blaming anxiety for all this.
    But my question is can anxiety cause physical pains like on my right side ribs? I also have some digestive problems, at times my stool will be loose. I'm also eating right and getting fiber into my diet. My doctor presribe me paxil,but I never took it. Should I?

I am due for a sleep study next week.

Last edited by larz468; 06-11-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
    Dreamy82
    (female)

Dreamy82 HB User

I have the same issue. Pain and pressure under right rib - usually dull, but becomes sharp when I'm sitting or laying in such way that my rib is hitting whatever this is. I had blood tests and abdominal ultrasound, and everything came clear except low ferritin (11ng/L) and some free fluid in my POD. All of this combined is worrying me a LOT! It is so frustrating not knowing the cause. I have a history of IBS and gastritis, but the pain I had from IBS was nothing like this. Did you find out anything?

Reply Reply