It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• What just happened?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
    seriousloquat
    (female)

seriousloquat HB User
    Post What just happened?

For the past few days I have been ill with cold-like symptoms; nasal congestion, runny nose, and fatigue. However, earlier today something weird-scary happened.
    It started out with the usual wake up early in the morning for work feeling groggy and tired from being sick. I wanted to sleep in for -just- 5 more minutes, so I laid back down in my bed, but I began to feel an ache in the area connected to my left shoulder near my upper chest. it began to spread to my entire chest-abdomen area. I was in a strange achey-pressure kind of pain that made it difficult for me to lay back down. I went into a panic because the pain was getting worse and my ribs felt like they were squeezing into my body way too tight-- like my rib cage area was about to collapse on itself. I began to cough and feel nauseous, threw up, and my left arm began to feel tingly and heavy. I was completely freaking out at that point, I thought i was having a heart attack!

After I threw up I called out of work for the day and tried to calm down and lay down. The pain had subsided for a few minutes, but just as I thought it was all over the center of my chest began to hurt. I knew something was wrong and I didn't know what to do. The center of my chest felt like it was being squeezed to death, my vision was getting spotty like i might pass out, my whole body felt hot & i was sweating heavily. breathing calmly didn't help me...it just kind of made me feel dizzy & make my chest hurt near the bottom of my lungs. I made my boyfriend call 911 and have someone come over to check it out. By the time they arrived i was feeling better, so i guess calling 911 was a mistake

They checked my pulse and listened to my breathing and said I was too young to have a heart attack but I should definitely go see a doctor. As they were leaving I began to feel tightness in my chest again and started to feel very hot. the pain didn't increase and slowly went away that so i guess i'm ok now...but i'm left feeling confused...what happened today?? If it wasn't a heart attack?? Should i be concerned that i am having heart problems even though I am not 20 yet??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
    seriousloquat
    (female)

seriousloquat HB User
    Re: What just happened?

I should probably also mention that every 1-3 months I will have these..."episodes" where I will feel a very sharp pain on the upper left side of my chest that makes it difficult for me to breathe. I usually hold my breath as long as I can, and then take short, slow, shallow breaths until I am able to breathe normally again. Although these episodes are just a minor inconvenience and last probably a minute it's concerning and may be connected to what happened to me today

Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
    Bob652
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
    Sorry to hear about your issue. You are never too young to have a heart attack but it is highly unlikely at your age. There are a many different possibilities that could cause your symptoms. Without seeing a doctor and having some blood tests, it is impossible to figure it out. You really need to be checked out.

I hope you feel better.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
    seriousloquat
    (female)

seriousloquat HB User

Thank you for replying to my post,

I want to go to a doctor and get checked out but my financial situation is a little tight right now to get bloodwork done...especially since i am transitioning out of being on my parents health insurance.
    Hopefully soon i will be able to answer this mystery. The EMT suggested maybe I have a respiratory infection. I started having a bit of a cough last night and into the next day. Hopefully my illness passes without anymore drama.

Thanks again for your concern and comments!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi call social services, there has to be a major hospital in your area where you can go thru the ER and get help. You will fill out paperwork and based on income (if below certain level should be free) that is what you pay. This will enable you to get in the system where you won't have to go thru ER to be seen. For now you'll just have to go that route. Plz don't wait, there are many heart conditions young people can have that can be critical, not to scare you. My friend lost her daughter last year, she was 24. So plz go. EMTS would not have found it

Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 07-28-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add info

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
    seriousloquat (07-29-2015)
    Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
    seriousloquat
    (female)

seriousloquat HB User

Wow, I didn't even know an option like this existed.
    I thought that if you were young, poor, and at a loss for insurance you were just plain out of luck!!
    I'll do some research and see if i can get some help.

Thank you for the replies and concerns :-)

Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
    roxcyn
    Veteran
    (male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Hi and welcome! Are you in school? If you're a full time student you should be able to stay on your parents' insurance. If not, you should be able to through HealthCare since you just got off your parents' insurance, it's income based for this year so if you're income is low enough you can get credit to pay toward your insurance.

Last edited by roxcyn; 07-28-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    chest pain