It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Unusual causes of fluid retention?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Unusual causes of fluid retention?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noevr View Post
    Hey I just listed your symptoms and looked several of them up together and read it could be your spleen. Have you looked into this at all? Don't know if it's something or not. I don't know an thing about the spleen. Cathy
    I would ask to have your serum proteins checked(blood test). If low, that could result in pitting edema and low blood pressure. They act like water sponges, keeping water in the blood, not the tissues. You may have acsites, fluid accumulation in the abdomen when your belly distends. This can be seen on ultrasounds and usually results from liver problems or protein wasting from kidneys or malnutrition.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Acer89 (08-11-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
    Acer89
    (male)

Acer89 HB User

Thanks Ladybud. I have already had my serum protein and albumin levels checked several times but they're not low or out of range. I had an ultrasound of my abdomen but no ascites detected, although my abdomen does become massively distended when I am feeling bad and retaining fluid. It seems like a problem with my GI system is somehow causing fluid retention everywhere in my body but the docs claims that the two issues are unrelated (i still don't buy it, though, because the gi stuff and the edema improve and worsen simultaneously).

Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    I would ask to have your serum proteins checked(blood test). If low, that could result in pitting edema and low blood pressure. They act like water sponges, keeping water in the blood, not the tissues. You may have acsites, fluid accumulation in the abdomen when your belly distends. This can be seen on ultrasounds and usually results from liver problems or protein wasting from kidneys or malnutrition.
    That's EXACTLY what happened to my mom this past June, her nutrition nbrs were low, she was in a nursing home, 98 yrs old though, not eating, they didn't tell me. Acute onset kidney disease. . Her arm was swollen but in her tissue, couldn't get it off bp was 80/40.

Reply Reply

Tags
    colon, edema, fluid, undiagnosed, water retention