It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• chest pressure and can't burp

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
    mv21
    (female)

mv21 HB User
    chest pressure and can't burp

Throughout my whole life whenever I would swim for longer periods of time (in a pool, lake, etc) I would feel this pressure on my chest and I couldn't breathe deeply while in the water. As soon as my chest was out of the water, it became easier and quickly returned to normal. However, I am getting my SCUBA diving license and forgot about that until it happened during class. We dive in a pool of 8 feet before we do open water dives, so it was just in the pool. However, I was at the surface of the water just floating and then I started feeling pressure on my chest and I felt like I had to burp, but couldn't. I literally have only burped like 4 times in my life and they all happened during the hiccups (I can't make myself burp and I can never burp when I have or feel like I have to). I feel like this would be a bad problem while diving like 40 feet under the water and not have a fast way to the surface. Again, it isn't painful it's just pressure, but while we were in class, we read about this sickness that you can get from diving that is called Mediastinal Emphysema and the symptoms are pain in the chest, difficulties breathing, and faintness. This happen when an air bubble travels to the middle of the chest cavity. Again, it's not painful, but uncomfortable and it feels like there is pressure being exerted on it. I have had a heart screening in 2014 or the beginning of 2015 (can't remember) and I didn't have any problems with my heart, so I have no clue what is wrong, but could someone please help? I really want to be able to get my certification and dive with no problems. Any ideas?

Last edited by mv21; 03-06-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    chest pain, scuba diving, swimming