It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Stimulant intolerance, IBS symptoms, histamine intolerance?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
    seakwriter
    (female)

seakwriter HB User
    Stimulant intolerance, IBS symptoms, histamine intolerance?

Hello,

My name is Susan, and this is the first time I've posted. I'm 52, and I used to be in excellent health. These days, though, I suffer from chronic stomach pain and gastritis. If anyone knows of any doctors or treatments that might help, I'd love to hear from you. Here's my situation: About 8 years ago I came down with a severe case of what I thought was the stomach flu that landed me in bed for several days. After the flu symptoms subsided, I discovered that I could no longer drink coffee (even decaf or herbal coffee) and caffeinated tea nor tolerate ANY types of stimulants, including the oral medication I was taking for my ADD. Basically overnight, my stomach and digestive tract reacted violently to the minutest amount of stimulants (as well as peppers and even mildly spicy food). I underwent test after GI test, but they found nothing. Over the years I avoided caffeine and started using a Daytrana patch for the ADD. I'd still have random bouts of stomach pain and gastritis that would leave me doubled over and cause me to miss work occasionally, but I thought my symptoms had improved. But within the last 6 months the stomach pain has become more frequent and I can no longer have chocolate, tomatoes, citrus fruits or alcohol without having a full-blown attack of gastritis that lands me in bed for 2 days. I feel as if I'm falling apart!! As far as my other health history goes, I was diagnosed with low thyroid about 10 years ago, have battled depression since adolescence, have asthma & lots of allergies (for which I took allergy shots for several years), and I used to have extreme menstrual cramping that I took fistfuls of Ibuprofen to alleviate (before, of course, I knew how damaging the stuff is to the stomach lining). I also have several family members who suffer from a variety of autoimmune disorders, including some rare ones. Recently I found out about histamine intolerance, so I've eliminated all foods and beverages that have high histamine levels. This has helped some, but I still get flare-ups for what seems to be no apparent reason. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I feel so frustrated and alone. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply