It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• stopping Protonix

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-13-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
    SandraKB
    (female)

SandraKB HB User
    Smile stopping Protonix

I had a GI Bleed caused from long term Aspirin use. I had no symptoms of Gastric Reflux or pain. I began having black stools. Became weak and went to Dr. Hgb count dropped, sent to ER. I had stopped ASA a few days before when I started the black bms. Admitted and given 1 unit of blood that night. brought Hgb back to 8 which is where it was on admission. Had endoscopy that next morning and showed stomach ulcer that 'had been bleeding' but had stopped. (I was put on IV PPI when admitted and remained on that until late day 2 and changed to Protonix ora)l. Received another unit of blood that second day and had to stay one more night to make sure Hgb "held". Was Discharged next day Hgb 8.5. On protonix 40 twice a day and to have another endoscopy and my first colonoscopy Dec 30. Last week my hgb 10.8, so improvement Now, my problem is that I noticed my hair really coming out when I comb it and a lot after showers. I noticed how thin it has become. Finally dawned on me to check about protonix and YES it seems to have a history of hair loss. I searched about stopping PPIs and saw 'rebound' of GERD symptoms if stopped abruptly. I dont have GERD. Has anyone stopped abruptly or must you 'wean off'? Will my hair thicken again? I no longer take aspirin it would seem to me I dont need PPI anyway? I have been on it almost 2 months now. Sorry this was so long but thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to SandraKB:
    movielover40 (11-18-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
    curlygirl25
    (female)

curlygirl25 HB User
    Re: stopping Protonix

Definitely talk to your doctor about stopping it. I don't know anything about that medication but anything used to treat something serious like that I would think you want to wean off of, plus you don't want to risk getting gerd like you saw. Good luck!

Reply Reply